Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA F versus AA J on 77W

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question AA F versus AA J on 77W

Is AA F significantly better than J on the 77W . Travelling on AA105 LHR-JFK. Can you ever get upgrade from J to F with BA Avois ever?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by col747uk
Is AA F significantly better than J on the 77W . Travelling on AA105 LHR-JFK. Can you ever get upgrade from J to F with BA Avois ever?
Personally, I prefer J. More private. Puts it in perspective ? !
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: CK or bust
If you're into soups, F on the 77W is your answer.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by col747uk
A) See AA "77W" / 777-300ER First & Business Class Reviews, In-Flight (master thd)

B) Avios upgrade? Yes, but... If your ticket meets the criteria (Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American...) See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
The lie flat bed and bedding is better in F. The food is marginally better, but not decidedly so. You have somewhat more overall personal space in F but, as mentioned, less privacy. Net, net, I would never pay for F as is just isn't worth it. I use systemwide upgrades to get into F but usually not westbound because I don't sleep westbound and if you don't sleep then the bed/bedding difference doesn't come into play and at that point the difference is, in my opinion, negligible.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
As stated above, my opinion of F is that it is marginally better than J. At no difference in cost to me, sure I'll take the F seat all day. In the real world, the price difference makes J the clear winner.
JDiver, prw555, enpremiere and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: CK or bust
  • First dibs on Barclays applications
  • Boarding (in theory and on paper you board after CKs and before J/Executive Plats) - in practice it's a premium cabin/status scrum since there are only eight F passengers and GAs recognize the need to get the first half the plane boarded all at once
  • In many cases the food is quite similar to J except that you get a soup and courses are plated separately (for now)
  • Your snack bar is separate from the J snack bar
  • You de-board after the mini J cabin so someone else can exclaim how different the weather is for you before you leave the aircraft but you're still always physically flying ahead of J and Y so there's that too
  • F cabin on the 77W qualifies you for Flagship Dining at LAX, MIA, and JFK (it is actually one of the really standout only positive aspects of the AA F ground experience)
  • Swivel seating if that's really an important thing for you
  • You can solicit a cappuccino in F on the 77W whereas J passengers must make do with the regular stuff
  • You may come down with terminal swagger, a condition not yet accepted by the medical community (or any community for that matter) in which traveling in F on the 77W makes you a better person than anyone else in the terminal
  • It's a great conversation starter and relationship terminator when colleagues or acquaintances start talking about their first time in the J cabin
  • Some 77W F passengers have also reported post-flight feelings of no significant difference between J and F but with enough time that can pass too

Last edited by enpremiere; Jun 28, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sitting in 8A currently on flight 79. Don’t really know what the folks 15 feet in me are enjoying over me. Soup perhaps.

Zones 1 & 2 boarded together.

I had access to the first class lounge. Nothing there other than some pork dish and cold soup. I’ll take the taco bar at the dfw AC any day over that.

Whats the price delta for getting that $1.50 additional bowl of soup in F?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
Whats the price delta for getting that $1.50 additional bowl of soup in F?
Was 7.5k less AS miles for me going AA F HKG-LAX-SEA early this year as opposed to CX F (plus got FL Dining at LAX). OK, since good lounges at departure and on the connection, sure, spend 62.5k vs. 70k. (AA J was an option at 57.5 k, but then no F lounges either end. 5k to get better lounges and somewhat better hard product, but 7.5k less than a nicer soft/hard product but no shower and worse lounge in LAX? OK. Sold. It's all Monopoly money anyway. Let's try it. It was fine.)

Now it's a 40k difference in AS miles AA F to CX F (110k to 70k) HKG-USA. Uh, hard pass. But AA J HKG-LAX is 70k now, not as unreasonable as AA F is now... and there's actual availability.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does F still come with a sense of superiority and entitlement? Or is that optional?

After flying KE and SQ F, I’m hesitant to try AA F because I’m worried I’d just be disappointed.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by swingaling
Does F still come with a sense of superiority and entitlement? Or is that optional?
Always optional.
Originally Posted by swingaling
After flying KE and SQ F, I’m hesitant to try AA F because I’m worried I’d just be disappointed.
I wasn't. My crew was friendly and it was a great way to come home from overseas (the route is timed well for a connection to my home city, SEA, a dinner in FL Dining at LAX, and having a Sunday to recover from jet lag). OK, sure, no hot and cold running Krug showers. No bling. No obsequious service. The FAs were older guys, not twentysomethings in cheongsams. If you're expecting all of that you probably will be disappointed.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Was 7.5k less AS miles for me going AA F HKG-LAX-SEA early this year as opposed to CX F (plus got FL Dining at LAX). OK, since good lounges at departure and on the connection, sure, spend 62.5k vs. 70k. (AA J was an option at 57.5 k, but then no F lounges either end. 5k to get better lounges and somewhat better hard product, but 7.5k less than a nicer soft/hard product but no shower and worse lounge in LAX? OK. Sold. It's all Monopoly money anyway. Let's try it. It was fine.)
Are you referring to Delta not having showers? You can ride the bus to TBIT and use the Korean Airlines lounge shower as needed.

Both AA & CX F passengers get Flagship Dining and Qantas First Class Lounge access in addition to the J lounges. Business class passengers have access to Flagship First buffet and OneWorld Business lounge. All have showers.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Now it's a 40k difference in AS miles AA F to CX F (110k to 70k) HKG-USA. Uh, hard pass. But AA J HKG-LAX is 70k now, not as unreasonable as AA F is now... and there's actual availability.
I was talking $$ not points
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Do the service animals in F have an even bigger attitude than they have do in coach?
mhy likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: LH HON
If you have spare SWU, go for it. Just don't compare it to their joint venture partners First cabins.
Gino Troian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.