Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
There have been sufficient posts over the years on this topic so as to extend the scope of this thread from one instance to multiple instances of passengers asking to exchange seats with you.

The prevailing ideas of seat exchange etiquette seem to include:

Ask, don’t assume or surprise another passenger by poaching another passenger’s seat first, then asking when confronted. At that point, even for those willing, you’ll probably get a curt “no” reply - at best.

Ask nicely.

Try to have a reasonable purpose - you’re a companion to a person with a disability or condition requiring your assistance and the airline had no adjacent seats to sell.

Don’t expect a better seat to be granted for your worse seat. Ever.

Thank the other person. Shouting them a drink, etc. is even better.

Accept “no” gracefully; it wasn’t ever your seat.
Print Wikipost

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by pmblinn
This times a gazillion.

As a family who has been honored to be the beneficiaries of non-rev travel for decades, we--and maybe we're old-school--would never, ever, ever, EVER ask another passenger to switch seats. This includes longhaul flights with two children where none of us were seated together. (Fortunately in 99% of those instances, other passengers voluntarily moved to accommodate us. But never expected it.)
Now as a former airline Station Manager, I agree. I would never ask someone on the aircraft to change seats, especially a paying customer. Now, I frequently in my career have chosen to buy tickets outright because of having limited time off and not wanting to fuss with non-rev (achieving mid-tier elite with a competitor at one point because they flew where I needed to go and my employer did not.... one day the TSA Federal Security Director at my airport saw me going through the terminal with my suitcase headed toward my own airline and said "Wait, Delta is that way!" pointing the opposite direction). At my level I did have confirmed non-revenue flying benefits - though had to pay imputed income tax which often more expensive than the confirmed ticket outside of holidays, so me and my companion would fly standby, especially on short flights (she was happy with that).

I would only ever bring up non-rev seat issues with the gate agents at my own employer. Being in management came with having a higher standby priority, and gate agents play shenanigans with the standby list sometimes. Usually if it was not my own station, things would work themselves out when I positioned myself in view of the gate agents with my company laptop on VPN connected to the reservations system refreshing the flight so they could see I was watching what they were doing. Down side of buying tickets on own employer was you run into a flight attendant who knows you and assumes you are a non-rev and asks you to change seats - sorry, I paid the $150 upgrade for this seat on a paid ticket. I am just another customer today.... sorry if that sounds harsh, but if I bought it, regardless of working there, I'm entitled to same as any other customer.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by JAXPax
Now as a former airline Station Manager, I agree. I would never ask someone on the aircraft to change seats, especially a paying customer. Now, I frequently in my career have chosen to buy tickets outright because of having limited time off and not wanting to fuss with non-rev (achieving mid-tier elite with a competitor at one point because they flew where I needed to go and my employer did not....
Totally agree.

Sorry for the OT-ishness...

In the early years when travel costs as a percent of our income was much higher than it is today, we were probably something like 95% non-rev, 5% paid tickets. Now, it's roughly reversed at 95% paid, as the (near-) surety of getting to our destination on time and in a comfortable seat is more important to us.

We do look back fondly on the days of running from gate to gate, the kindness of airline staff (even of competitors), happenstance, re-routing on the fly, dumb luck, watching the standby board as intently as it it's the Super Bowl, and never giving up until we got to our destination.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I would LOVE is some *tool* came up to me in 1A and said "hi would you mind switching with my daughter" "sure, is that her in 2A?" "no, she's back in 23E".

I honestly don't believe I would be able to suppress laughter. I would say "really??" then ask him 'why don't you ask the person in 23D or F if they'd like a free F seat so you can sit next to your daughter".

I'm really hoping this day comes with such an example. I'm on 824 dtw-dfw later today. Maybe it will be my lucky day.

"According to Green's Dictionary of Slang, tool has several meanings. In the current context it would probably mean "a stupid, useless or socially inept person". The first citation for this dates from 1656"
Old Mar 28, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
My buddy was actually on the receiving end of the opposite stated here. He was traveling for work on a normal busy Thursday in 2019, and someone from F asked if he wanted to switch seats with her so she could sit next to her friend/colleague who he was luckily put next to. So he got a free bump to F, out of his middle seat, all from the luck of the draw. Must've been some friend to give up F for.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enviroian
I would LOVE is some *tool* came up to me in 1A and said "hi would you mind switching with my daughter" "sure, is that her in 2A?" "no, she's back in 23E".

I honestly don't believe I would be able to suppress laughter. I would say "really??" then ask him 'why don't you ask the person in 23D or F if they'd like a free F seat so you can sit next to your daughter".

I'm really hoping this day comes with such an example. I'm on 824 dtw-dfw later today. Maybe it will be my lucky day.

"According to Green's Dictionary of Slang, tool has several meanings. In the current context it would probably mean "a stupid, useless or socially inept person". The first citation for this dates from 1656"
There are so many ways to have fun with this, I think I will direct them to the next person in F and say, “ask them, they will say yes”,
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by md80only
I can't believe I have never seen this thread.

Here's my best story.

I was on a long haul overnight flight on an A321. I had a normal window seat, mid cabin, nothing special. BUT when I got to the airport I checked and the last row was completely empty - I changed to the window seat in that row. I checked and checked as long as it would let me to see if the seats were still open - all good. We board, I settle in, feeling like a champ. Right before they closed the door, a couple with a baby got on board. C, D, E were open in the Row A, B, F (me) were taken. Dude comes down and tells me I'm in his seat. I show him my ticket, and he says, no we are supposed to be in these seats. I asked to see his and he wouldn't show me. He asked me to switch to C. I said I chose this seat specifically so I could sleep (not to mention C and D in the backrows on a long haul - awful seats with people lining up for the lav). Then he says you'll have to sit next to this crying baby the whole trip and shakes his baby at me. I get it, better to have the whole row for you, mom, and baby, but I felt like C D E was manageable for them. Turns out the people in A and B overheard and I guess they are nicer than me so they volunteered to take D and E and give them A B C. The couple was super cool, nice, and they got why I didn't want to switch. Now here comes the kicker, right as I was starting to feel like maybe I was a jerk, the guy was walking up and down the aisle bouncing his baby around, I get that but was extra glad I wasn't in the aisle then getting bumped into on every pass. The FA stops him, at which point he tells the FA that he works for the airline and is nonrevving and got stuck in the last row. She expressed some sympathy and offered to bring them some extra drinks. So now it all became a little more clear. They had checked the flight and saw the open row when they got listed and then I changed seats and was ticketed in it, and when they got on they just assumed it was still open. Definitely should have checked their tickets and should have backed down the first time I said no, and definitely should have backed down as a nonrev (and maybe not even asked in the first place). I have moved seats a bunch of times - I even once made a mistake of agreeing to switch from A in MCE to A in Economy (I thought that row was still MCE) and stuck with it when I realized the mistake - I agreed to it, that's on me. It was a four hour flight though, so I vowed to know my seat maps better after that haha.
I would have reported this to AA. As someone who's nonrev'd before its completely unacceptable to press a paying pax to switch seats.
Spiff, estnet, duchy and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by freeagent
I would have reported this to AA. As someone who's nonrev'd before its completely unacceptable to press a paying pax to switch seats.
This was on UA and not AA, but somewhat related to that: Had a non-rev ask me to switch seats a few weeks ago on so he could sit next to a companion. I ended up obliging, since the other seat was basically equivalent.

I didn't know it was a non-rev at the time, but the FA noticed it, and to her credit I overheard her scolding the non-rev, basically saying that was a no-no to ask a paying passenger to move, and that their travel privileges could be jeopardized as a result.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:28 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Actually - it occurs to me - have any of us asked anyone to move? I have never needed to - but on more than one occasion at AA HI and I were not seated together. On both occasions that came to mind we were not that far apart but others offered and we accepted. I recall on one flight in particular there was a meal service and I was asked my choice and I asked if the FA would mind asking the gentleman who would have been in the seat from which he had moved if he would like to choose before us. He said that was fine, but for me he been gracious so why should we not be in return? All that said, I have spent too many years in my working life trying to seat families together and quite honestly it is someone's else's turn.
When on a DFW-LAX, the FA's asked me if I would mind sitting one row back as they were trying to accommodate a couple of parents who were grieving their son who had been killed in a traffic accident - I did not hesitate. They needed to be together.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
My wife and I see each other enough. We have no problem sitting apart for a couple hours on a flight. Flying ORD-HNL in two weeks. 8 hours in F. I’m sure we will check in on each other a couple times, but we will be fine not being able to hold hands along the way. 😊
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
My wife and I see each other enough. We have no problem sitting apart for a couple hours on a flight. Flying ORD-HNL in two weeks. 8 hours in F. I’m sure we will check in on each other a couple times, but we will be fine not being able to hold hands along the way. 😊
Funny. My wife and I cleared the last two (separate) seats in F one flight. Rowmates offered to switch so we could be together. I said "Thanks, but we've been married 24 years. If we can't bear to be apart for a 5-hour flight, then God help us!"
Old Mar 29, 2021, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Actually - it occurs to me - have any of us asked anyone to move?
Might've mentioned this a while back, but my family of 3 (rebooked in separate rows in transatlantic PE due to cancelled flight) initiated some musical chairs where (3) parties ultimately scored a win-win:
  • wife and daughter together
  • 2 colleagues together
  • solo woman in PE Exit Row Aisle
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Funny. My wife and I cleared the last two (separate) seats in F one flight. Rowmates offered to switch so we could be together. I said "Thanks, but we've been married 24 years. If we can't bear to be apart for a 5-hour flight, then God help us!"
Now there is that - and I must admit that after nearly 35 years of being married to Him Indoors - I do understand. I also am quite appreciative of not hearing JiminY Cricket pipe up without any by-your-leave from me; Do you really need another glass of Champagne? I tolerate this interference only because he is very good at packing, carrying, and stowing baggage in overhead lockers as he is tall.

It has been my lifelong credo that husbands need to be functional or decorative; preferably both. This has nothing to do with being asked about giving up seats - but on one occasion when Him Indoors up to First that I was working and which had nothing to do with me; he was seated next to an elderly lady. I understand that it was a most enjoyable flight for them both and when I went up at some stage to see what damage the First Class bar had done to him; I found him sound asleep. The lady was delightful and told me that she thought that he looked a bit like George Clooney and what a lucky young woman I was. SInce this was about six years ago; I really did wonder what she had been drinking never mind him.

Have any of you not moved and lived to regret it - assuming that no one had the effrontery to ask you to move to Economy? I have.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Now there is that - and I must admit that after nearly 35 years of being married to Him Indoors - I do understand. I also am quite appreciative of not hearing JiminY Cricket pipe up without any by-your-leave from me; Do you really need another glass of Champagne? I tolerate this interference only because he is very good at packing, carrying, and stowing baggage in overhead lockers as he is tall.

It has been my lifelong credo that husbands need to be functional or decorative; preferably both. This has nothing to do with being asked about giving up seats - but on one occasion when Him Indoors up to First that I was working and which had nothing to do with me; he was seated next to an elderly lady. I understand that it was a most enjoyable flight for them both and when I went up at some stage to see what damage the First Class bar had done to him; I found him sound asleep. The lady was delightful and told me that she thought that he looked a bit like George Clooney and what a lucky young woman I was. SInce this was about six years ago; I really did wonder what she had been drinking never mind him.

Have any of you not moved and lived to regret it - assuming that no one had the effrontery to ask you to move to Economy? I have.
That is a priceless story and a very good question.

I cannot recall ever regretting not moving (if offered). My wife, who is much more social--and more socially adept--than me, usually ends up with a new friend by the end of the flight.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
MIA-STX on a 738 last week there were three or four couples in F looking to trade a seat so they could sit together, including us (had 2A and 2E, so looking to trade with either 2B or 2F). While I've been waiting to board last lately to avoid having the entire Y cabin walk past, we specifically boarded early to facilitate the hoped-for trade. Sure enough, when 2B boarded, I asked if she'd mind trading with my gf across the aisle in 2E, which she did. A few minutes later, a different couple asked her to trade back to 3F. She declined, saying "I've already traded seats once." Good move on her part, as occupant of 3E had small dog and talked nonstop the entire flight.
While it has been a long year with relatively empty flights, the days of full flights appear to be returning. This kind of musical chairs in domestic F does have losers, even if everyone negotiates the seat he wants in F -- the loss comes from the delay in boarding the economy passengers waiting on the jetway.

Some of the worst musical chairs flights (which I see more on spoke departures than hub departures), can cause a ten or fifteen minute delay to pushback. Last year, a PBI-ORD flight was a full-dress (it was cold in Chicago, and every woman had a fur coat to be hung), six- or seven- seat-trade "musical chairs" shuffle. We left 30 minutes late despite boarding at T-35. It took 20+ minutes to get the F cabin settled. Highly irritating.

A little headwind, and a bad runway arrival at O'Hare, and we were at the gate almost exactly one hour late. Tons of misconnects. All preventable.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Given increasing load factors, and Covid infection rates, I think it’s reasonable (generally) for folks to politely request and for others to accept like-for-like seat change requests if it means keeping split parties together. I find that most people are polite in these cases.
VaBeachGirl and argolfer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.