Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 15, 18, 11:54 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MrAndy1369
Wiki Link
There have been sufficient posts over the years on this topic so as to extend the scope of this thread from one instance to multiple instances of passengers asking to exchange seats with you.

The prevailing ideas of seat exchange etiquette seem to include:

Ask, don’t assume or surprise another passenger by poaching another passenger’s seat first, then asking when confronted. At that point, even for those willing, you’ll probably get a curt “no” reply - at best.

Ask nicely.

Try to have a reasonable purpose - you’re a companion to a person with a disability or condition requiring your assistance and the airline had no adjacent seats to sell.

Don’t expect a better seat to be granted for your worse seat. Ever.

Thank the other person. Shouting them a drink, etc. is even better.

Accept “no” gracefully; it wasn’t ever your seat.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 15, 18, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Going from the walk of fame to the walk of shame in 10 seconds

So I’m waiting to board 981 to dfw. Agent calls my name and another person. The person in front of me hands his DL to the agent for his new F BP. I did the same but I didn’t get what I thought I was getting. The agent says to me, pointing at a woman holding a rat dog “ hello this passenger is asking you if you would change your seat in 8A for hers in 11C”. The woman with dog blabs to me about some cardiac issue but I stopped listening, looked back st the agent and asked if 11A is a reclining exit row. She says it’s not. I say “sorry, I don’t want to” and resume my place in zone 2 boarding.

If you had prior extra needs you should not rely on others to accommodate you.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 15, 18 at 3:03 pm Reason: Restore original thread title to agree with FT Rules, serve others
Old Jun 15, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Platium
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
So I’m waiting to board 981 to dfw. Agent calls my name and another person. The person in front of me hands his DL to the agent for his new F BP. I did the same but I didn’t get what I thought I was getting. The agent says to me, pointing at a woman holding a rat dog “ hello this passenger is asking you if you would change your seat in 8A for hers in 11C”. The woman with dog blabs to me about some cardiac issue but I stopped listening, looked back st the agent and asked if 11A is a reclining exit row. She says it’s not. I say “sorry, I don’t want to” and resume my place in zone 2 boarding.

If you had prior extra needs you should not rely on others to accommodate you.
what is so great about seat 8A?
Old Jun 15, 18, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jagoffee View Post
From OP's comments it is a reclining exit row seat.
Old Jun 15, 18, 2:03 pm

<redacted>

There's nothing wrong with someone 'asking' to change seats prior to boarding. 1000 times better than poaching the seat you want and hoping the original pax will just give it up.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 15, 18 at 3:09 pm Reason: Deleted negative and overly personal comment
Old Jun 15, 18, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Avis Pref Plus
I wouldn't want to be put on the spot by a gate agent like that, though. And I think it's inappropriate given that AA in theory charges extra now for those MCE seats
trooper, vudoosj, itchief and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I don’t even understand why the gate agent totally failed here. Giving an exit row seat to a passenger claiming they have “some cardiac condition” sounds like a serious FAR violation. And with pets or whatever are also not supposed to be in exit rows. “For safety reasons, you won’t be able to sit in an exit row when traveling with your service or emotional / psychiatric support animal.” (AA)

I’d report the GA. She needs to clearly understand the safety restrictions on exit row seats.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 15, 18 at 3:19 pm
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I don’t even understand why the gate agent totally failed here. Giving an exit row seat to a passenger claiming they have a heart condition is a serious FAR violation. Iirc, people with pets or whatever are also not supposed to be in exit rows. “For safety reasons, you won’t be able to sit in an exit row when traveling with your service or emotional / psychiatric support animal.”

I’d report the GA. She needs to clearly understand the safety restrictions on exit row seats.
I don't know what the actual equipment was but it's a 32B on Monday, 11 is an exit row and 8 is the bulkhead so she may well have been aware that she had to move and was just trying for something as good.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don’t even understand why the gate agent totally failed here. Giving an exit row seat to a passenger claiming they have “some cardiac condition” sounds like a serious FAR violation. And with pets or whatever are also not supposed to be in exit rows. “For safety reasons, you won’t be able to sit in an exit row when traveling with your service or emotional / psychiatric support animal.” (AA)

If the agent was trying to do that, then there would be a problem

Looking at the flight , it seems to be a A321 where 11C is an exit seat and 8A is a normal window seat in the 1st row of the economy cabin

Seems like the agent was trying to help the passenger with a pet and a cardic condition to get out of the exit row seat
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

32B aircraft

this woman is in 8F now. Apparently AA put someone else on the spot and relented.

Not me.
anniegray likes this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The GA handled this poorly in any event. Under no circumstances should a passenger be put in the position of having to deal with this in front of the other party (cardiac lady in this case).

There is nothing wrong with asking and there is nothing wrong with agreeing or not. OP did not want to move so OP was not moved. Not a big deal as is made clear by the multiple other threads on this topic across FT.

As to the exit row, it is entirely possible that the GA knew that cardiac lady had to be moved. If that was the case, at some point the GA simply makes a reassignment.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I forgot to mention she had no pet carrier.
Old Jun 15, 18, 5:22 pm

32B aircraft

this woman is in 8F now. Apparently AA put someone else on the spot and relented.
Or the person simply didn't mind moving from the window seat to an exit row aisle seat. Not everyone has OCD over what seat they have on an aeroplane - many don't care that much
Old Jun 15, 18, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagoffee View Post

8A is a window bulkhead with extra leg room and the first row of coach. Depending on your needs, it provides you quicker exit off the plane and even more importantly allows fresh food selection (on applicable flights) with luckily only a remote possibility of them not having your choice because it's the 1st row of coach.

So yeah, seat selection is important.
Old Jun 15, 18, 5:40 pm

8A is a window bulkhead with extra leg room and the first row of coach. Depending on your needs, it provides you quicker exit off the plane and even more importantly allows fresh food selection (on applicable flights) with luckily only a remote possibility of them not having your choice because it's the 1st row of coach.

So yeah, seat selection is important.
Row 11 is the 4th row of economy and also has extra legroom - really - I can't see that many people would have a huge concern

If asking someone to move from a seat with extra legroom to a normal one, I can see that it might not be appealing , but cannot imagine that there are really that many people obsessed about being in the front row and the extra 60 seconds it might take to get off of the aeroplane

You were asked, you declined - the agent assumedly asked another person and that person agreed - seems like no issue at all
Often1 and Kathy_marie like this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 6:00 pm

Programs: No status anymore
Originally Posted by work2fly View Post
<redacted>

There's nothing wrong with someone 'asking' to change seats prior to boarding. 1000 times better than poaching the seat you want and hoping the original pax will just give it up.
Call me a jerk, but poaching my seat guarantees a denial of request unless an obvious need is presented.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: