Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: New SDFC / Same Day Flight Change Restrictions 8 Jun 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide: New SDFC / Same Day Flight Change Restrictions 8 Jun 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Just got off the phone with an AAgent to inquire about changing a flight today. I asked if there was E inventory on the flight that I was interested in, which was confirmed by her. She said that it wouldn't accept the change and put me on hold (to I assume call the help desk). When she came back, she told me that an update went into effect June 8 in which CFC availability is dictated my some automated system rather than E availability.

Has anyone seen or heard about this? Should I HUCA?
Correct that it has all changed:
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn
FWIW, I've definitely seen situations with other buckets zeroed out but with availability in E. I would be nice if they're being a bit less conservative with SDC availability, but it will be a shame if it's opaque and unpredictable.
Well since they seem to be following DL in a lot of what they do, it'll definitely be opaque and unpredictable.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I don't fully understand.

What is the difference between the old SDFC and AFC functionally, for example. Do you mean just the E vs no E? or are there other changes
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't fully understand.

What is the difference between the old SDFC and AFC functionally, for example. Do you mean just the E vs no E? or are there other changes
There appear to be a large # of changes, I'm trying to decipher them, SDC will morph into these 3 processes and none use -E- exclusively. Cut-over date to these new processes not clear to me either.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 11, 2018 at 2:01 pm Reason: edit to add word "exclusively"
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:58 pm

Happened to me yesterday. I asked to change flights on a totally open flight AA1234 DFW-MKE. The agent said she could not process the change so I hung up and called back. Second agent said the same thing so I asked her to downgrade me on my current flight. While I was still on the phone with her I was able to change myself on the app. Maybe an issue with their system as they are working through these changes?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:48 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Hi folks. We reached out to our reps at AA to get a consolidated public statement as to what did or did not change and what caveats there may be to just having E class availability and will share when they have the information ready.
JDiver, ijgordon, C17PSGR and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:02 pm

VFTW provides an AA statement:

Overall, we have not changed the policy or criteria regarding same day flight changes.

What we did do was change the way the system used by Reservations checks for availability on same day flight changes. Previously, the system always checked whether E inventory was available [update: along with “other criteria”]. Now it checks the full list of requirements, such as whether the itinerary (with connections) was available, had bags been checked, etc.

The end result may be that some same day flight changes that might have been allowed by reservations previously, are not being allowed. In cases where it may not be available, reservations can offer and complete transactions for same day standby. Previously for same day standby, the customer had to check at the airport for same day standby.

Kiosks and airports already checked availability using the same policies, nothing has changed there.
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-reservations/
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
There appear to be a large # of changes, I'm trying to decipher them, SDC will morph into these 3 processes and none use -E- exclusively. Cut-over date to these new processes not clear to me either.
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Hi folks. We reached out to our reps at AA to get a consolidated public statement as to what did or did not change and what caveats there may be to just having E class availability and will share when they have the information ready.
Thank you.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:20 pm

Still odd that an agent was not able to do a SDFC for me yesterday however when they downgraded me to economy from first I was able to do it myself on the app. Sounds like the logic has some bugs that need to be worked out or the logic is just you need to be downgraded first before a SDFC will be "offered" to the agent.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If E was available, wasn't the itinerary available? Or is this referring to married segments somehow?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
Why not simply ask if she can change you to the flight you want?

AA no longer trains its front line agents to even understand the specifics because it is all handled by templates making your question irrelevant to the result you sought and requiring the front-line agent to call someone to figure it out.

The benefit of simply asking is that it really doesn't matter whether the agent rebooks using SDC or simply makes a change and waives the change fee.
Airlines seem more interested in railroading their employees away from customer-friendly outcomes and into paths that make the airlines even more money at the customers’ expense.

“Charge more, give less.” That’s the AA business mAAntra.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Airlines seem more interested in railroading their employees away from customer-friendly outcomes and into paths that make the airlines even more money at the customers’ expense.

“Charge more, give less.” That’s the AA business mAAntra.
You mean that the company it trying to ensure that that agents act in accordance to what the company has defined rather than what the agent feels like doing?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:08 pm
Suspended

some more info:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-reservations/

and

JDiver, KBMIFlyer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by beachfan
If E was available, wasn't the itinerary available? Or is this referring to married segments somehow?
That's what's confusing me.

Seems to me like it takes care of the AAngels asking me ... you don't have any checked bags, right? Wink, wink. I don't check them anyway but sounds like this new method will block it.

Otherwise, I'm not seeing a situation that it blocks that it would have cleared before. Seems like it might even be clearing easier, if it doesn't require E availability.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That's what's confusing me.

Seems to me like it takes care of the AAngels asking me ... you don't have any checked bags, right? Wink, wink. I don't check them anyway but sounds like this new method will block it.

Otherwise, I'm not seeing a situation that it blocks that it would have cleared before. Seems like it might even be clearing easier, if it doesn't require E availability.
I agree if you are referring to bags already checked as opposed to bags needing to be checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.