Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question - International Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

I fly domestically a good bit but have only flown international once or twice in my life and it has been awhile.

In August I am flying BNA-DUB, via AA. I have a choice of connecting through various cities ORD, PHL, or CLT. My question is, the first flight showing only has 40 min layover at ORD to grab my international flight out. That does not even seem possible, is it? If not, why would AA even offer to sell me this ticket? I plan on checking a bag. Do I have to collect it and recheck?

And my complete newbie question, will I go through immigration at BNA or my connecting airport? Security once or twice? Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fastpoint
I fly domestically a good bit but have only flown international once or twice in my life and it has been awhile.

In August I am flying BNA-DUB, via AA. I have a choice of connecting through various cities ORD, PHL, or CLT. My question is, the first flight showing only has 40 min layover at ORD to grab my international flight out. That does not even seem possible, is it? If not, why would AA even offer to sell me this ticket? I plan on checking a bag. Do I have to collect it and recheck?

And my complete newbie question, will I go through immigration at BNA or my connecting airport? Security once or twice? Thanks.
40 mins is certainly tight at ORD but it's also completely doable if you're on time.

The US doesn't have any exit immigration, so the only immigration/customs you will do is upon arriving in DUB. Your bag will be checked all the way to DUB from BNA, you will not have to claim it again at whatever airport you connect through. For this itinerary you'd only go through security once at BNA.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

40 minutes is doable if your flight is on time. As mentioned, you only need to claim your bags before connecting after ARRIVING from an international flight.
Going BNA-xxx-DUB means you will only need to pick up your bag in DUB
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My question is, the first flight showing only has 40 min layover at ORD to grab my international flight out. That does not even seem possible, is it? If not, why would AA even offer to sell me this ticket?
Certainly possible, but I wouldn't risk a connection that tight when connecting to an international flight.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Outbound at ORD 40 minutes is possible, though the boarding process will undoubtedly have begun by the time you arrive at your departure gate, but any delay and your trip as planned is stuffed. Chicago in winter or summer is subject to delays.

If your tickets are on the same PNR, your baggage will be checked through to DUB. Separate ticketing youll have to retrieve and recheck your bag. Immigration and customs at DUB, on arrival and on departure to the US (arriving as a domestic flight in USA) if you have a return ticket.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I did this trip MIA-CLT-DUB and liked CLT for my connection. I would opt to connect there if possible. Easy layout to get from gate to gate.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Are you in Y or J? Any status?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Are you in Y or J? Any status?
I'll be flying in J.

The connection in ORD is actually only 37 mins. What would AA's methodology be if this was missed due to my BNA-ORD flight being late?

I feel like I should just avoid this situation altogether. Although ORD has the 788 whereas other connecting cities seem to all have the 332, which seems less desirable in business class.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'll be flying in J.

The connection in ORD is actually only 37 mins. What would AA's methodology be if this was missed due to my BNA-ORD flight being late?

I feel like I should just avoid this situation altogether. Although ORD has the 788 whereas other connecting cities seem to all have the 332, which seems less desirable in business class.

Thoughts?
I'd go CLT. PHL has worse weather delays, ORD is a gamble.

In J, the LUS a330 seats are pretty good. The IFE is dated, but otherwise actually prefer these seats to the front-back Zodiac seats on the 788. All aisle, lay flat with no neighbor movement moving you.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be flying in J.

Thoughts?
Is there no availability when connecting via 2PM BNA-ORD flight vs. 4PM BNA-ORD? The 2PM flight would give you a lot more cushion.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:22 pm

No way I’d take a 37min connection at ORD to a domestic flight, let alone to an international one.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I'll be flying in J.

Thoughts?
AA would firstly put you on the next flight with available seat to DUB, which might be the next day or longer. If the delay is weather related (common in August in ORD) youd be on the hook for lodging, food, etc. abd yiu might not get your bag back in ORD.

Secondly, they might put you on JBV partner BA on a connecting flight to Dublin. Your checked baggage might go separately and be delayed. The BA Club World sest might be considered inferior to either 788 or 332 seat, and these seats are certainly not all aisle access solo seats.

If I was flying, Id certainly connect via CLT with more time.

As to your seat assumptions, au contraire; the shaky-shaky 788 Motion over the ocean seat is believed by many here inferior to the 322 Envoy seat.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I would find another option. All it takes is one little problem at BNA and you will end up with a larger problem which could find you with no chance of making your connection.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be flying in J.

Thoughts?
There is a difference between the airlines MCT (minimum connection time) and a SCT ( Sensible Connection Time). Where the consequences of missing a connection are significant always go for a longer SCT. Your domestic flight is only a small insignificant part of the complete trip.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I would -not- do a 37 minute D-I connection at ORD. Is that even legal????

Just looked this up - and appears it is legal. BNA-ORD is a CR7 which means arriving a H concourse. I would not take this one. Maybe the earlier flight.

I'd also avoid PHL.

For experience I would try the 2:00 pm BNA-ORD and then the evening ORD departure. ORD has a Flagship Lounge and since you're in J, you have access to it. CLT and JFK only have the Admirals club at this point.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.