Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Destroys a Bag, Issues $3,500 Check + $300 Voucher in 24 Hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Destroys a Bag, Issues $3,500 Check + $300 Voucher in 24 Hours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:13 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Ditto and likewise. My suitcase was totally shredded by the machinery at DEN by a US flight (sold as an AA ticket, pre-merger). The contents of the bag were presented to me inside a large plastic garbage bag, and the remains of the suitcase were in a second garbage bag. The baggage office did not have suitable replacements. I went to a suitcase vendor in the DEN airport, bought a brand-new suitcase and sent in the bill. The bill also included cost of damaged items which had to be replaced. Was reimbursed in reasonable time with nary a quibble. After reading this thread, I should have held out for $3800, LOL.
Originally Posted by ashill
I had a rollaboard totally shredded by the machinery on a Virgin Australia flight several years ago; looked a lot like this one. The contents were OK or mostly OK, I think. They immediately admitted fault and gave us a voucher to purchase a replacement rollaboard. However, nothing more than that, and the luggage store they contracted with didn't have a rollaboard I liked nearly as much as the one that they destroyed (which I think had been discontinued). I pushed back a little but wish I had pushed back more. I'm still bitter about that; for a trip last week, I used my partner's bag, which is identical to the one that was destroyed. It's so much nicer than my replacement one (although I think the replacement one has a higher cost/"objective" value).

For what it's worth, my partner had mid-tier (Gold) status with VA and I had third-tier (Platinum) status with VA joint venture partner DL at the time.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JDiver
One way would be for a malfunction of this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9MZqiE3yGlQ
wow. It's no wonder my pelican toolbox with 10K of tools inside is constantly getting ....ed up.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by infinite97

wow. It's no wonder my pelican toolbox with 10K of tools inside is constantly getting ....ed up.

Which is why you buy a pelican to begin with.
msv777 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nrr
Yes, but the missing items (expensive camera equipment(?)--with receipts) could be $3500.
Except they don't cover or pay for cameras, electronics, etc.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:09 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Jesus, that thing hits with some force.
Originally Posted by freecia
This explains the damage to polycarb spinners at the corners, cracks, and how they lose wheels. Or how the frames with latches get bent. I always thought a smoother exterior was more ideal for tactile & easy cleaning but perhaps a slightly rough/textured exterior helps slow down the slide so it doesn't slam into the wall & ping pong.
Exactly! After seeing a “behind the scenes” documentary, I now know why handles, wheels, and any external parts come out all mangled.

Originally Posted by rjque
Or, it could have been two nice suits.
+1 I’m not a “big spender” or a fancy-pants, but if I’m traveling to go to a wedding or gala, I’ll easily have several thousand dollar of clothes alone in my suitcase. (Other times, I’m happy with comfy pants and a hoodie. )
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Many years ago I had a bag ( Hartman) damaged by American and inside were 2 suits and assorted other clothing items.

They shipped me a replacement bag identical to the one that was damaged and paid for my suits.

They used to have a special deal with a discount luggage company called "Bag and Baggage" in Dallas.

They have always been good at making up for lost or damaged checked items.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:16 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Hmm, I don’t get why people think the bag *must* have held less than 3500$...
Even for a week trip I’m pretty sure my bag holds things worth more than 3500$... Like maybe one has a beautiful scarf that was gifted to them for a special occasion worth about 1000 bucks. Add a few brooks brothers shirts, one or two suits, maybe a Hermes tie, and yet I will also have flip flops and some odd shirts and shorts that may look cheap.
Like a few bottles of La Prairie cosmetics and you’re over 3500$ already. Or even a single watch. We just can’t know if that that was paid was more or less the wirth of the bag. Unless the owner tells us (which she should not have to do imo). Don’t judge a book by its cover.

On another note:
I wonder what airlines would pay you if you had a limited edition watch inside of the bag.
Or basically let’s say the clothes worth in the bag exceeded 3500$ by a lot. What would the air’ine pay in that case? And what about items that hold an immense emotional value?

Last edited by Nick Art; Jun 12, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Even for a week trip I’m pretty sure my bag holds things worth more than 3500$... Like maybe one has a beautiful scarf that was gifted to them for a special occasion worth about 1000 bucks. Add a few brooks brothers shirts, one or two suits, maybe a Hermes tie, and yet I will also have flip flops and some odd shirts and shorts that may look cheap.
Like a few bottles of La Prairie cosmetics and you’re over 3500$ already. Or even a single watch. We just can’t know if that that was paid was more or less the wirth of the bag. Unless the owner tells us (which she should not have to do imo). Don’t judge a book by its cover.

On another note:
I wonder what airlines would pay you if you had a limited edition watch inside of the bag.
Or basically let’s say the clothes worth in the bag exceeded 3500$ by a lot. What would the air’ine pay in that case? And what about items that hold an immense emotional value?
The airline will pay to a limit of liability

For an international trip, the limit under the Montreal Convention is XDR1131 ( appox USD1,604 ) - for a domestic trip , as per, https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...imitations.jsp , the limit is $3500
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:01 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The airline will pay to a limit of liability

For an international trip, the limit under the Montreal Convention is XDR1131 ( appox USD1,604 ) - for a domestic trip , as per, https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...imitations.jsp , the limit is $3500
Hmm, that is dissappointing. Also what's the logic that for longer international trips (where ppl usually have more luggage) airlines are required to pay 2 times less than on domestic flights?

And are therer any circumstances in which the airline will or has payed more than this required amount? And is there any insurance (maybe already included ina mandatory one) that would pay for lost baggage?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:30 am

Hmm, that is dissappointing. Also what's the logic that for longer international trips (where ppl usually have more luggage) airlines are required to pay 2 times less than on domestic flights?

And are therer any circumstances in which the airline will or has payed more than this required amount? And is there any insurance (maybe already included ina mandatory one) that would pay for lost baggage?
The logic is that is the international standard ( for most countries ) - provides a consistent standard across most countries. What countries choose to do locally is up to them

I would doubt that there are many cases where the airline has paid out beyond the limits to which it is liable to pay

You would need to check the policy to see what its limits are - if you are taking expensive items , they may be at risk or you may need to specifically insure them
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:51 am

Literally no one is saying that. Some of us are saying that it seems more likely than not that it held less than $3500.

Hopefully you realize this already, but most people don't have any $1000 scarves or designer ties.

Cosmetics and watches (and most expensive non-clothing items like electronics, jewelry, photography equipment, antiques, etc.) are explicitly not covered by AA's conditions of carriage, so none of that would get reimbursed at all.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by justhere
Except they don't cover or pay for cameras, electronics, etc.
AA and other airlines certainly do cover or pay for those above-mentioned items at least at times.

Provisions in an airline’s contract of carriage that run contrary to law/regulation aren’t applicable protection for the airline in claims/disputes from customers,
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Provisions in an airline’s contract of carriage that run contrary to law/regulation aren’t applicable protection for the airline in claims/disputes from customers,
Are you suggesting there's a law saying AA has to pay for such things? Please let us know what it is. I've never heard of such a law.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jordyn
Are you suggesting there's a law saying AA has to pay for such things? Please let us know what it is. I've never heard of such a law.
Yes. Ask the US DOT about the relevant Montreal Convention.

http://whoswholegal.com/news/feature...espect-baggage
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
For domestic travel AA can have any terms that DOT will let it get away with

For international travel, Montreal Convention applies and there is nothing in the convention that allows for AA to pick and choose what it covers

Same as it trying to say that it won't cover damage to baggage handles/wheels and similar - for international travel , it is covered - and I have had AA pay out for it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.