Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extended Ticketing Time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I just got a voicemail from AA "Hi Mr. (Guy Who Never Blinks), this is (redacted) from American Airlines calling in regards to the reservation that you set up on the 12th of December, using that gift card, the way that the fare was stored on the record is invalid for the gift card, and we don't have another form of payment for the balance. So we actually just need to discuss this with you. If you could please give us a call at (redacted). We're open from 6 in the morning to midnight. My name is (redacted). I'll be here tonight til 10:30 Central Time. Your record locator is (redacted) and just ask for me when you call in and it'll take a few moments to get me, but I'll be here. So just give us a call back as soon as you can. And if you're not able to call back today, and you need to call back tomorrow. (redacted) is the person that you need to ask for tomorrow between 8:30 and 8. 8 to 4:30 tomorrow Central Time. Thank you, sir, and have a good day."

I used a voucher from an EU 261 claim, the terms of which state: "Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines are valid for one year from the date of issue. Although the value must be applied toward the ticket purchase prior to that date, the travel may extend past that date. Transportation vouchers may be used toward the purchase of a ticket for future travel on American, American Eagle or any American Airlines marketed codeshare flight. The voucher may also be used on any of the airlines in our oneworld® alliance, provided American Airlines is the international carrier (international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. While a voucher is nontransferable and may not be bartered or sold, you may use your voucher toward the purchase of a ticket for a friend or family member, if you choose. There are no travel embargo dates imposed due to using a voucher. In the U.S., the toll-free number is 800-433-7300. Outside the U.S., please refer to "Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers" listed on www.aa.com."
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I tweeted AA, asking if they can help ticket this with the voucher. They responded: "Hey (Mr. donotblink). We took a look and you'll be able to use your voucher for this itinerary, however, you'll need to continue working with Reservations for all your options." I'm trying to get back in touch with a reservations supervisor now.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
If using a paper voucher, you probably have to mail it to Florida. Expect it to take a few weeks to ticket.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MathMusic
If using a paper voucher, you probably have to mail it to Florida. Expect it to take a few weeks to ticket.
It's a digital voucher. Given that I live in NYC, I take paper vouchers to the ticketing office on Lexington when I have them.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:30 am

Glad to hear. I have never gotten an E-voucher, only paper ones. I wish I had a ticketing office nearby to simplify things. Kinda similar to you I have a crazy itinerary booked through a voucher coming up. YYZ-DCA-LGA-CLT-LAS with a return LAS-PHX-PHL-YYZ. Four one way fares combined to make one ticket.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I don't believe that it's legal for AA to sell you a ticket between US destinations that connects in Canada, so I don't believe this will ever be ticketed. Even if it is, it's almost certainly queued for manual review.
This is perfectly legal, even on a single ticket and there is no reason that this would cause a manual review.

You may be referring to US and Canadian laws and rules --- commonly referred to as "cabotage" --- which prohibit a foreign carrier from transporting passengers between two points in another country.

But, OP is booking AA to fly US-CANADA-US (even if on one ticket). AA is a US carrier and thus there is no violation. It would be illegal for AC to issue the same ticket. Or, it would be illegal for AA to issue a ticket for travel CANADA-US-CANADA/
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
One PNR (which can be comprised of up to sixteen tickets, iirc) should be fine for through-checking your baggage to your final destination. Good thinking, btw!
While AA will tag the bags LGA-HNL, OP still has to claim them, carry them through US Customs and drop them at YUL. The check-through will save a minute or two in line, but he still faces US pre-clearance and an additional round of security at YUL.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1
While AA will tag the bags LGA-HNL, OP still has to claim them, carry them through US Customs and drop them at YUL. The check-through will save a minute or two in line, but he still faces US pre-clearance and an additional round of security at YUL.
Actually, OP might have to clear Canadian customs, grab bags, drop bags, and then clear US customs during his layover. Not sure if exactly how the transit will work since he is coming from the US but still needs to clear US customs for preclearance.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by donotblink
It's a digital voucher. Given that I live in NYC, I take paper vouchers to the ticketing office on Lexington when I have them.
Were you able to get this ticketed?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

@PlatinumScum Customer Relations had to issue me a paper voucher to be used for the ticket, but it didn't arrive in time and the itinerary automatically got canceled on Friday because a "valid form of payment" wasn't provided by that time. Incidentally, some marginally better fares have popped up on United, and I'm considering doing that given that I'm already going to hit Platinum Pro by the end of the year, but I'm not sure if I'll have the EQDs for Executive Platinum. I also might just wait and see if lower fares come out since the trip isn't until December.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MathMusic
Actually, OP might have to clear Canadian customs, grab bags, drop bags, and then clear US customs during his layover. Not sure if exactly how the transit will work since he is coming from the US but still needs to clear US customs for preclearance.
Indeed, OP will be required to enter Canada, retrieve his bag, process through US CBP and drop it (even if checked through), proceed through security and then board. The Canadian processing ought to be expedited, but it is nonetheless a process which may take time depending on the length of the lines.

There is no MCT here because these are separate tickets. AA will provide limited protection, e.g. rebooking if OP no shows for his onward flight, but it may be particularly unpleasant on AA/OW for YUL-HNL and a rebooking on another carrier is extremely unlikely for such a no show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.