Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thanks AA for Missing My Nephew's College Graduation! (mechanicals, cancellation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks AA for Missing My Nephew's College Graduation! (mechanicals, cancellation)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
A refund for a "trip in vain" is appropriate compensation. I've missed family events before because of mechanical issues and received a refund and a return to my home airport.
C17PSGR and enpremiere like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I don’t think I’ve seen an AA DYKWIA thread but perhaps the OP deserves the inaugural place in one.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
I don’t think I’ve seen an AA DYKWIA thread but perhaps the OP deserves the inaugural place in one.
I mentioned before, Delta has it, BA has it, WE SHOULD HAVE IT AS WELL!
wrp96 and thunderlounge like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:30 pm

The Delta one is pure gold. Gold, Jerry!
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe time to put this one out of its misery?
enviroian and thunderlounge like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by txskygal

I WAS booked for the previous day. However, I have extremely severe allergies, giving me a severe cold, which caused me to have to cancel the flight the day before, which I therefore booked for the following day, the day of graduation.
Sounds like the original cause of delay is an act of God. You need to rant to the big guy for that. ;-)

Last edited by BlindPilot; May 14, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Thanks SO very much for causing me to miss my Nephew's College graduation, from The University of Arizona! ... I do so appreciate the "Tough to Be You" response that Z offered. Hey! He actually offered to Refund My Ticket! Wow, I'm ecstatic with the noble offer! How much did it put AA out to go that far? That was mighty gracious of them! ... Hey American! Are you there? Can you hear me? Do you remotely think that this expresses Goodwill, Customer Service, and doing the Right Thing?
Generally speaking, sarcasm is not your friend in these situations. While you were understandably and reasonably upset, if you're going to write to the carrier (or hotel, etc.) to complain, you need to keep it factual and more or less devoid of emotion and invective. I'd start with a chronological recitation of the facts (first this happened, then that happened, ...). Then, perhaps, put in a non-confrontational opinion, e.g., "While I understand that mechanical problems do occur, and that it's important to take them seriously, I think that AA could have done a better job in the way that it was handled. For example, the substitute aircraft wasn't catered...."

That's the best way to maximize the likelihood that someone at AA will 1) actually read your complaint, 2) take it seriously, and 3) try to work with you to reach a satisfactory accommodation. Otherwise, you run the risk of being written off as a belligerent complainer, regardless of how reasonable and legitimate your complaint is on a substantive level.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Generally speaking, sarcasm is not your friend in these situations. While you were understandably and reasonably upset, if you're going to write to the carrier (or hotel, etc.) to complain, you need to keep it factual and more or less devoid of emotion and invective. I'd start with a chronological recitation of the facts (first this happened, then that happened, ...). Then, perhaps, put in a non-confrontational opinion, e.g., "While I understand that mechanical problems do occur, and that it's important to take them seriously, I think that AA could have done a better job in the way that it was handled. For example, the substitute aircraft wasn't catered...."

That's the best way to maximize the likelihood that someone at AA will 1) actually read your complaint, 2) take it seriously, and 3) try to work with you to reach a satisfactory accommodation. Otherwise, you run the risk of being written off as a belligerent complainer, regardless of how reasonable and legitimate your complaint is on a substantive level.
<bolding mine>

Too late for any of that. The "cow has left the barn"; the "jeannie is out of the bottle"; the "cat is out of the bag"; the "baby got thrown out with the bathwater"; and the OP is loooooong gone.
AAway and thunderlounge like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jcatman
<bolding mine>

Too late for any of that. The "cow has left the barn"; the "jeannie is out of the bottle"; the "cat is out of the bag"; the "baby got thrown out with the bathwater"; and the OP is loooooong gone.
I think it’s the horse that left the barn, and the genie is out of the bottle!
jhartvu and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 15, 2018 at 12:40 am
Old May 15, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Great point. Certainly allergies can flare and be worse on some days than others. But OP's claim that she got a severe cold because of her allergies doesn't really add up - colds are caused by viruses whereas allergies are an immune response (putting it simply). Sure OP could've gotten a cold on top of having allergies, but having allergic rhinitis doesn't cause colds.

In any case that's besides the point, somewhat.
I'm wondering if she's just as upset with herself for missing the original flight as with AA for canceling next day. Wonder what compensation she pays herself?
Old May 15, 2018, 3:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have read the OP's post in full. Twice. I have often wondered to myself exactly what, apart from a cathartic letting off steam, one can hope to achieve. I am sure that it was hell, and an experience no one one would wish to repeat. I do feel sympathy but like others I am curious about what was not mentioned. Unless I have missed it, I cannot see when the graduation was about to take place. Nor indeed can I quite understand why the OP did not continue the journey and at least have dinner with them on arrival. I really do sympathise as I had a similar thing happen a month ago. Our connection to from LAX to DFW to fly on to CDG was delayed endlessly and we ended up spending the day at LAX and flew directly to London and from thence to CDG. This is the second time that this has happened. Ultimately, it was a bore but that was it. I flew for years and I have seen dawn rise over some deadly dull airports in India, Africa, and Asia due to a technical issue which delayed us sometimes to full cancellation and the resultant mess. It happens. If that was a copy of the letter written to American, I would love to have heard the comments from those who had to read it. Poor OP - you had really bad luck but fortunately no one died or suffered serious injury as a result.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:47 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by jcatman
<bolding mine>

Or if you're a Lakers fan, "The door is closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and the Jello's jiggling!"
dciolli likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:04 am

I dont understand

Why you chose to Capitalize all these Random words in your complaint. I Get that You were Upset, but that doesn't Mean that you Capitalize words that Don't need to be capitalized.

Dear American Airlines, and Z <redacted> "Customer Relations (?)" representative.

Thanks SO very much for causing me to miss my Nephew's College graduation, from The University of Arizona! DFW-TUS was scheduled to depart at 0935, on May 10th. It didn't actually depart until approximately 3:30 P.M., 6 hours later. At this point I was going to miss graduation, so decided to call it a day. There were 2 separate Mechanicals, one requiring a return to gate, both serious, and I get that. Also, even with all the time correcting the first mechanical, American still managed to neglect to cater the aircraft. What! Really? Provisioning is just basic stuff. I also know that an aircraft swap was reasonable and the Right Thing To Do. I am an aviation professional, with almost 29 years in the industry, with multiple airlines. I can fly on any airline I wish. I KNOW how airline operations work, intimately. I chose to fly American, to my dismay.

To just add to the experience, I do so appreciate the "Tough to Be You" response that Z offered. Hey! He actually offered to Refund My Ticket! Wow, I'm ecstatic with the noble offer! How much did it put AA out to go that far? That was mighty gracious of them! That is only to be expected! But, to think that is a satisfactory resolution to my experience? Laughable!
My husband is traveling once a week, for at least 2 years for business. As his wife, I can certainly influence his airline choice. I included his AA account in my report to Customer Relations, to view his activity, to show his (current) loyalty with AA. College graduates work for 4-5 Years minimum, in order to complete the requirements to graduate. College has been a difficult achievement for my Nephew, and we have waited years, to celebrate this event together! Another Customer, in the rear of the aircraft, stated that a different Customer was going to miss their own graduation! American called airport police, due to Customers' being rightfully upset. I asked the officers to show a little mercy, due to the circumstances. There needs to be Customer compliance and self-restraint, but being upset and angry is a normal human response, too.

Customers had to board 3 times, including an aircraft swap 6 hours later, with all their belongings, due to this fiasco of a flight.In addition, my family has a trip to Europe booked on AA, and we were planning to purchase tickets for this same Nephew's wedding, come July. However, this experience has caused a total rethinking of my patronage of American. They actually really think a "Sorry, here's your money back" is the Right, Apologetic, and Proper response to this Epic Failure?That is Not Acceptable!I sent a 2nd e-mail to AA, to ask if this was really an appropriate measure to show goodwill and demonstrate a Sincere Apology, and true Customer Service. Zed, once again in a true gesture of Goodwill, said "we do our best to be fair and supportive as advocates for our customers. For those exceptions, we evaluate all the circumstances and try to be reasonable and fair in our decisions. In this case we will not be taking any further action."

Hey American! Are you there? Can you hear me? Do you remotely think that this expresses Goodwill, Customer Service, and doing the Right Thing?

I hope someone at American will read this, and actually attempt a gesture of Apology and Goodwill. It woud be appreciated. I'll be sharing my experience with people, and I'd like for their to be a positive outcome.

Forwarned, Fellow Advantange Members!
Old May 15, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Oh, it was the University of Arizona.............I had missed that in the first post.
Why was "Nephew's College" capitalized? For a moment, I had thought that was the name of the school.
To be honest, I have not attended the graduations of any of my nieces or nephews, and my aunts and uncles did not attend any of mine.
In fact, I didn't even go to my own graduation when I received my BS, but that was "only" from Illinois State. Had it been the University of Arizona, I am sure my whole fam damily would have been there.
Seriously. You had a delay. If you fly a lot, it is bound to happen. If you want something more than a refund, ask for it. It's not like you were the only one delayed. Ranting about being an "airline professional" for 29 years, or how much your spouse flies isn't going to gain a lot of sympathy here, and I am appalled at your mention of passengers, being delayed as such, are justified in causing such a scene police have to be called. The airline personnel at the gate were not responsible for the delay and have NO control over a replacement plane is available for your flight. They can only give you information they have.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jasondc
Why you chose to Capitalize all these Random words in your complaint. I Get that You were Upset, but that doesn't Mean that you Capitalize words that Don't need to be capitalized.
It's one of the standardized rant styles. Probably the second most commonly used, only slightly trailing the very popular "every sentence gets its own line" format. Credit where credit is due, the poetic license taken in breaking the fourth wall / screaming into the void in this OP is not something we see too often, so points for creativity there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.