Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thanks AA for Missing My Nephew's College Graduation! (mechanicals, cancellation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks AA for Missing My Nephew's College Graduation! (mechanicals, cancellation)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I am indeed rather surprised still at this whole 'of course you get a refund when AA delays your flight' business.
Since you're either hopelessly confused or deliberately misconstruing what I and others have written, I don't see any point in engaging further. Everyone else here understands the score.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
MarkOK - Each segment has a value attributed to it. The airline has to attribute some portion of the fare to each part of the trip, for a variety of reasons, refund calculations being a common one.
If a flight is deleted due to airline issues, the value of that segment is refunded to you
If YOU decide on your own accord, without IRROPS or delays exceeding the airline minimum (60 minutes or whatever), then the airline can reprice the ticket and that could leave you with 0 value for the unflown segment.
So, yes, it depends on whose fault caused the missed segment

(and now I have just realized rjw242 told you something similar)
Old May 16, 2018, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow. Rarely have I seen such a simple concept made so difficult.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
...delays exceeding the airline minimum (60 minutes or whatever)...
I continue to wonder what AA's minimum might be and where it's documented. "Major delay" is not exactly clear.

Anyone?
Old May 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Pro tip: When you have seasonal allergies, traveling is a GOOD thing. Why? Because there's a chance that the pollens, molds, mildews, etc., that are making your allergies flare in your point of departure won't be as prevalent at your point of arrival. I'm always thrilled to get out of Chicago when my allergies are acting up because I know there is a good chance they'll subside when I land.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Pro tip: When you have seasonal allergies, traveling is a GOOD thing. Why? Because there's a chance that the pollens, molds, mildews, etc., that are making your allergies flare in your point of departure won't be as prevalent at your point of arrival. I'm always thrilled to get out of Chicago when my allergies are acting up because I know there is a good chance they'll subside when I land.
However, you still need to drug yourself adequately with a big dose of antihistamine/decongestant for the flight itself to avoid sinus/ear infections.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, you still need to drug yourself adequately with a big dose of antihistamine/decongestant for the flight itself to avoid sinus/ear infections.
Yup. But presumably if her allergies are bad enough to cancel a flight, she already probably follows an allergist-proscribed/prescribed combo of nasal and oral antihistamines and decongestants.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Another Fter that has learned that the AA Board is a tough jury
Old May 18, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Years ago (DL still had a hub at DFW), I booked my family and I to travel to SAN the day of my sister in law's college graduation. First flight of the morning, arriving 6 hours before graduation, what could be the issue? (yes, I've learned my lesson) The night before fog at my local airport prevented the RON planes from getting in and our flights cancelled. Cue me sitting on phones while searching the internet for alternatives. Unfortunately, due to so many flight cancellations, there were no itineraries with available seats that could get us to SAN in time. I'm still thankful to the AA rep (once I finally got through on the phone) who found seats available on DL but only to DFW, where we switched back to AA and managed to make graduation. If those DL seats hadn't opened up, it would've been my fault for not booking us to fly out the day prior. I remember at the time being irrationally angry at AA over it, but the more I've traveled since, the more I've realized the blame was in my planning (and mother nature).
Old May 18, 2018, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The OP has received a lot of advice, and everything that could be said has likely been said.

For others with similar issues or concerns, please see

American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.