Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JDiver
We know there’s a huge variance in knowledge and credibility in the current crop of EXP agents.
Amen! There have been nuggets or rumors from EXP agents that have been wildly untrue and yet some have proven to be accurate.

Given the reduction in SWUs and the lock-step DeltaAA strategy when it comes to upgrade policies, I'd personally venture that this is not an accurate policy change. It is a way, however, to further segment EXPs who buy premium economy tickets and those who are just buying the cheapest fare buckets in coach.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Often1
UA will install it and do the same thing with its UG's.
But they already do--they require to buy a more expensive Y ticket even before being GPU eligible. (M fare if memory serves?).

Last edited by enviroian; Apr 25, 2018 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:26 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Based on info in threads on AA FT, JonNYC seems to be correct re changes to AA FF program even before they are officially announced; since he seems to look at the PE change as only RUMOR, I'd side with this until we get an official notice from AA.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr
Based on info in threads on AA FT, JonNYC seems to be correct re changes to AA FF program even before they are officially announced; since he seems to look at the PE change as only RUMOR, I'd side with this until we get an official notice from AA.
Exactly.

If there’s an official AA pronouncement, it will certainly be clearly labeled as such - as have so many have been.
aztimm and Gino Troian like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by richarddd
JonNYC writes this is patently untrue

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/988975300443824128
I agree that the wayward comment of an EXP agent is to be taken with a grain of salt.

but I do think it is unfair to the mods to act as though they are spreading rumors. A poster made the original claim and JDiver broke it out and titled it rumor. Place to discuss, which is what this forum is about. Nowhere was it painted as a confirmed change or fact.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What are you basing your assumption on? Why would AA want to create another 'upgrade class'?
Another upgrade class? who said that? giving complimentary PEY to ExP at T24 is not difficult and they don't need to create another upgrade class, same way Gold get complimentary MCE seats at T24, first come first served.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
In fact, it creates a complete disincentive for EXPs to pay for these in the first place!
Why? EXP get complimentary upgrade on domestic routes (+ Caribbean etc) and I don't see a disincentive if they decided to pay and be confirmed in First Class instead playing the upgrade lottery.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bse118
So, in other words: hearsay and innuendo advanced by a moderator.
That's bush league. JDiver does a lot of good work in this forum. It was properly identified from the start as rumor.

You don't want to assume that JonNYC knows everything, immediately.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So maybe they just add a co-pay to regular (discounted) coach fares? And no co-pay for PE? (Even though, currently, discounted PE mileage upgrades still require a $350 copay).
This wouldn't be that different from UA's program as I understand which requires the effective co-pay, but you still get stuck in coach if you don't clear.
They could also add regional upgrades certificates.

I guess the point is that they have a lot of levers to pull regarding the value of SWUs, it doesn't have to be just the painful devaluation of a strict one-class upgrade.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:29 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fedechat
Another upgrade class? who said that? giving complimentary PEY to ExP at T24 is not difficult and they don't need to create another upgrade class, same way Gold get complimentary MCE seats at T24, first come first served.

Why? EXP get complimentary upgrade on domestic routes (+ Caribbean etc) and I don't see a disincentive if they decided to pay and be confirmed in First Class instead playing the upgrade lottery.
For DOMESTIC the price difference between Y and F/BC is for many routes (and the ones I fly) is $300 to $500; for INTL (the ones where SWUs are usually used) is $2000-$5000 in many instances.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'm willing to bet management are having discussions on how to handle SWU upgrades, but nothing has been decided.

Some ideas:
1) The Y->PE and PE->J rumor
2) Require a co-pay for Y-J and no co-pay for PE->J
3) Y-J and PE->J are both allowed, but PE->J has priority over Y-J
4) Y->PE uses same upgrade policy as domestic Y->F (complimentary for ExPlt and PltPro, Plt and Gold use stickers)
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by nrr
For DOMESTIC the price difference between Y and F/BC is for many routes (and the ones I fly) is $300 to $500; for INTL (the ones where SWUs are usually used) is $2000-$5000 in many instances.
But I'm talking from Y to PEY where it may became "officially complimentary" for EXP at T24, I'm not talking about Y to J for free, check my previous responses.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by solewalker
I've been holding off re-qualifying for EXP for this reason. SWUs for Y-->J are pretty much the only reason for me to get EXP. If true, I guess there should still be one more year of SWUs for Y-->J, then it's buh-bye.
Benefit here is that by doing W -> J upgrades, I can get the 150% EQMs that will get me to EXP faster than the 100% EQMs of discount Y.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
If they continue to price PE the way they do, I'm not absolutely opposed to this, as it may also increase my chances of securing the SWU. For example, this fall I'm going to Paris, regular ticket was 850, PE was 1200. I ended up buying PE because I wanted 1.5x EQMs and higher EQDs (see - they ARE changing my behavior). One leg cleared at booking, the other is waitlisted.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by JDiver
... We know there’s a huge variance in knowledge and credibility in the current crop of EXP agents.
Off topic-Not to turn this into a discussion of the EXP line... but I can usually tell w/i 10-30 seconds if the person on the other end is LUS or LAA ^. LUS=100% HUACA. YMMV

Back on topic-If this comes to pass, it will just one more reason the 2 EXP's in this household are tending to go to Kayak/Expedia/et al for all travel 1st, instead of just blindly going to AA.com.

And if AF starts flying non-stop DFW-CDG, AA, in this house, is toast. Just sayin".
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
And if AF starts flying non-stop DFW-CDG, AA, in this house, is toast. Just sayin".
But then youd have to fly on Air France eww.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.