Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Rt Award into One Way? (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Change Rt Award into One Way? (to merge)

I've been booking one way awards for a while for the ease of cancellation as an EXP. That said, I recently booked a RT award transcon (for ease of booking) and now find that rather than coming from NY to the west coast I'm likely to be coming in from Asia.

Here's the question: Can I keep the return part of the RT award and have the reservations agent just drop the outbound flight and return the miles to my account? Or does availability in the award class (Z, U or T) need to be available on the return flight as they will essentially be starting the reservation over from scratch.

Given the varying knowledge of agents I thought I'd check here first before calling.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
They should be able to do this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nyc6035
I've been booking one way awards for a while for the ease of cancellation as an EXP. That said, I recently booked a RT award transcon (for ease of booking) and now find that rather than coming from NY to the west coast I'm likely to be coming in from Asia.

Here's the question: Can I keep the return part of the RT award and have the reservations agent just drop the outbound flight and return the miles to my account? Or does availability in the award class (Z, U or T) need to be available on the return flight as they will essentially be starting the reservation over from scratch.

Given the varying knowledge of agents I thought I'd check here first before calling.

Thanks in advance.
AA no longer offers roundtrip awards. You have booked a roundtrip itinerary consisting of two one-way awards on a single PNR. Changing/ cancelling one of those one-way awards should not affect the other. You just need to be very sure that the AAgent understands that you only want to cancel the outbound award, while maintaining the inbound award.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As guv1976 stated, AA does not issue other than one way awards, though they may put two awards on one PNR. Of course, you can cancel an award (one of the two you have) and receposit the miles. See

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Assuming that you are still an Executive Platinum at this time (versus when you booked the award), the redeposit won't be charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.