Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines' CEO Says the Least Important Customers Get the Worst Planes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum

In a shining example of what NOT to say to earn the loyalty of your customers, AA's CEO stuffed not one, but both feet in is mouth recently by admitting that AA intentional places crap planes and certain routes and that he has never had the pleasure of the sardine can known as the AA 737 MAX.

Can't say anything in this article really surprises me given what I've witnessed on AA of late. Maybe Parker is banking on the fact that UA will keep messing up enough to make AA look better. It's a shame that Parker's version of "Going for Great" appears to be all about money and not about creating a (profitable) brand that is the envy of the industry.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Nothing he said is surprising, unexpected or anything else.

There is a reason LHR gets the 77W with 52J seats and CTG does not, for example.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
After reading this first line I opted not to read any further.

Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek.
ironmanjt, AAway and closecover like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What does OP want? The HVC's get the worst aircraft?

In a more polished presentation to investors, AA would point to PRASM and make the case that a route such as LIM won't support the fares that justify tasking one of the more modern aircraft with more bells and whistles.
HampsteadHeath likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You think this is the reason they still haven't started that LIT-NRT on the A380 flight?
ironmanjt, deeruck, oopsz and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I don't see the problem with what he said. It's what any business would do. Why operate a brand new 787 on a route with low yields? None of us would. We would put that plane on a route with higher yields to keep those higher paying customers "more happy" than those on which we earn less. We do the same thing in consulting all the time. We put our higher priced and better consultants on the more highly visible projects or with customers bringing us more work and thus more revenue.

Parker isn't exactly known for polished language (like many others in public life today). Some find it refreshing that he's not feeding us a bunch of b.s. that no one would believe anyway.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Nothing he said is surprising, unexpected or anything else.
Yep. And will have absolutely no measurable impact on the business, localized online pockets of outrage notwithstanding.
Andriyko and closecover like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
With the 737MAX configuration, LUS A320 with no MCE and power, and plans to densify existing 738 and A321 (which are the main workhorses of AA's fleet) does that mean Parker considers most of AA's customers "least important"?
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
While I agree with him on this (there is a reason no AA 777's are flying OMA to NRT) this is the same guy who tried charging AWE passengers for soft drinks once and who continually says "airfare is too low". ULCC Dougie needs to go bye bye. AA should've kept Tom Horton as CEO.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
It's a shame that Parker's version of "Going for Great" appears to be all about money and not about creating a (profitable) brand that is the envy of the industry.
Well, it's not like American was particularly good at creating an enviable brand before he showed up. I've flown enough junky AA 777s and 767s longhaul in the back (as well as better DL planes in the back) in the 2000s to know that (and the 767s are still ancient junk in the back). They went bankrupt. They didn't invest in the coach experience. DL's is still better and will likely stay so. Of course, you would get SkyPesos with that DL package, so be careful what you wish for.

But as far as their J/F is concerned, they're doing way better than UA (who's already doing death by 1000 cuts to Polaris and is LOL-worthy at rolling out lounges). J is arguably on par with DL (who still has their own substandard 763s/764s flying around). Their F experience with Flagship Dining is pretty good, I think (and neither UA nor DL have that).

So what are you asking for when it comes to "going for Great": more IFE on the plane domestic, a little better Basic Economy experience, maybe some better food in domestic F, better IROPS, a bit better Y experience down the back? Those seem to be DL's advantages. (You're not getting SQ, for a number of reasons- for one, I don't think SQ's model would be able to scale to serving a country of 300+ million out of a bunch of hubs on both coasts plus the middle of a large country.)
socalduck likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
I see no problem with this. Doug was answering an employee in an internal forum and spoke with candor. I quite appreciate that. Instead whoever leaked this to the public ought to be fired.

Having said that, as a paying customer I do not approve of the horrible and old 767s flying anywhere, nor do I approve of the 738MAX and their decision to take out TVs.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
In a shining example of what NOT to say to earn the loyalty of your customers, AA's CEO stuffed not one, but both feet in is mouth recently by admitting that AA intentional places crap planes and certain routes and that he has never had the pleasure of the sardine can known as the AA 737 MAX.
<snipped>
Are you referring to the loyal herd that books according to the lowest fare? Look at what happened with MRTC... Not enough people wanted to pay enough to fly an airline that offered more room in all of economy.
So, yes, why spend the money for improving in an area where customer are continually voting with their feet to get the lowest fares. If this was not true, there would be no need to have airlines like Spirit and Allegiant.... except maybe for people that want nonstop flights from PIE (Clearwatear-St Pete) to PIA (Peoria) to visit their grandkids. I flew Allegiant to avoid the connection, but many people due it solely due to pricing.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:21 pm

While this is certainly not new or unique (after all how is this different from the distinction in product offered between NY and LA on transcons and other longer domestic routes), it does make you wonder about the management skill of Parker here. If Lima is a route of little value and AA doesn't care to compete on it, why fly to Lima at all..why have FAs based in Lima? If I'm that FA, I go home from that meeting quite unsure about my future job security. I don't think you need the CEO to come in to kick staff morale in the nuts.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
While this is certainly not new or unique (after all how is this different from the distinction in product offered between NY and LA on transcons and other longer domestic routes), it does make you wonder about the management skill of Parker here. If Lima is a route of little value and AA doesn't care to compete on it, why fly to Lima at all..why have FAs based in Lima? If I'm that FA, I go home from that meeting quite unsure about my future job security. I don't think you need the CEO to come in to kick staff morale in the nuts.
Why have Lima?

PROFIT.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:31 pm

How is it possible that all of AA's customers are the least important?

It's not a very good ranking system if everyone ranks last.
KansasMike likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.