Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines' CEO Says the Least Important Customers Get the Worst Planes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines' CEO Says the Least Important Customers Get the Worst Planes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
How profitable can it really be if AA feels that the margins are so bad it doesn't make sense to run it with anything but planes that are about to be phased out.
Profitable enough to make money using the aircraft it is using, less profitable than routes with new aircraft. Walmart makes money and has low prices. Other companies make money and charge higher prices.
That doesn't mean WM is close to going the way of Toyrs R Us
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Just wonderful. Later this year I am flying on AA for the first time since they did away with "Extra Leg Room in Couch".
I personally would LOOOOOVE a Couch Class.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:23 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The issue I have here is not the business logic but the fact that they were bemoaning the 767s and 757s as a dump of a plane without admitting that it is not the equipment that is the problem; its the decisions made by the same people who simply refuses to invest in bringing the product up to standard. It’s silly that due to lack of investment they are inflicting further operational complexity on themselves (i.e. we need to factor in which product is a dump and which product isn’t when scheduling flights) that shouldn’t even be a part of the equation in the first place. Those planes aren’t leaving in 1-2 years - invest already.

Vasu’s comment about how the aforementioned dumpy 767 is a good plane to test new markets is completely divorced about how important brand is when trying to penetrate a new market and the condition of the product you are bringing into the market does have a significant influence in that regard.

Nonetheless, they are correct with their notion that lower yielding markets will have a lower priority when it comes to type of product.
AANYC1981 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by asf-07

this is just a dumb, lazy, and most importantly incorrect take. some are. some are not.
Enjoy your 30" 737MAX trip. The only planes in the narrowbody fleet that aren't complete trash are the RJ's and the Super 80's, which are unfortunately going bye bye. Also the E190's but those are also going bye bye.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by AA100k
I have no problem with what Parker said. And I’ve flown J on 767’s to Europe in the past few years and they’re fine. It’s not like he’s sending MD80’s to Lima.
The MD80's along with aircraft in 2X2 or 2X1 configurations are the only good narrowbody aircraft in AA's fleet.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Astronomer
Having said that, as a paying customer I do not approve of the horrible and old 767s flying anywhere, nor do I approve of the 738MAX and their decision to take out TVs.
Me neither and I think he is doing a terrible job.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I personally would LOOOOOVE a Couch Class.
You want to be booking on NZ then
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:38 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by denverbrian
i personally would looooove a couch class. :d :d :d
sign me up, too!!!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill
The link provided by the OP is repeating the original source, a Gary Leff blog post.
It originating as a Gary Leff post does not necessarily improve its credibility...

​​​​​​
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:57 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Every airplane must pass a regular, stringent inspection to get an airworthiness certificate. If a plane were truly a junk heap of bolts, it wouldn't be allowed to fly. Some are nicer than others, but all are operationally sound.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you referring to the loyal herd that books according to the lowest fare? Look at what happened with MRTC... Not enough people wanted to pay enough to fly an airline that offered more room in all of economy.
So, yes, why spend the money for improving in an area where customer are continually voting with their feet to get the lowest fares. If this was not true, there would be no need to have airlines like Spirit and Allegiant.... except maybe for people that want nonstop flights from PIE (Clearwatear-St Pete) to PIA (Peoria) to visit their grandkids. I flew Allegiant to avoid the connection, but many people due it solely due to pricing.
Though with ULCCs (or atleast Frontier which is my only ULCC experience), everything has a price, if I want an assigned seat I can pay for it at anytime I don't have to wait till 48 hours before when likely the only thing left is middle or a costly preferred or MCE seat. Heck I'm buying a seat 3 weeks ahead in main cabin and I'm having trouble finding a seat I don't have to pay for, I can only imagine what it will be like at 48 hours before departure. Also I don't have to pay for both the seat and the carryon. Sure there are some routes where MC vs BE is only $10-15 more but most of those are non ULCC routes where the fares are higher. Also BE fares are non changable Frontier will change your ticket no problem and for $99 half of the $200 change fee that AA won't even offer with BE.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Enjoy your 30" 737MAX trip. The only planes in the narrowbody fleet that aren't complete trash are the RJ's and the Super 80's, which are unfortunately going bye bye. Also the E190's but those are also going bye bye.
"RJ's are good." Lol. Keep making baseless blanket statements.

Many of AA's planes have products that are as good (and in some cases better) than their US competitors. Many of AA's planes have average products. Many of AA's planes have arguably inferior products (Note: I do not personally consider seatback IFE on domestic flights to be important).

AA's product is widely inconsistent. It is not uniformly (or even primarily) "complete trash".

And I won't be riding the 737Max in 30" pitch (which by the way is standard in lots of non-US markets) - I'll be riding it in MCE or F.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Vasu’s comment about how the aforementioned dumpy 767 is a good plane to test new markets is completely divorced about how important brand is when trying to penetrate a new market and the condition of the product you are bringing into the market does have a significant influence in that regard.

Not necessarily - without the FT bubble where people will research the particular new product thoroughly it may be that merely selling a flight with the 767 is enough to give AA [or any other airline] the information it needs to evaluate the market. They may even think they get most of the necessary information before they operate a single rotation.

If they have confidence in their modelling of the difference between serving routes with different aircraft types, then any toe dipped in the water may be enough. It's certainly different from BA's apparent modus operandi of sending the 788 [no F cabin, cheaper to operate per seat-mile and shiny, new-plane image] out on new routes to guage demand, but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
None of their customers must be important then seeing as all of their planes are outdated. You can't even get seat back screens or power in first class on an A321 version two, which is most likely domestic first class if I had to guess.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I don't find this outrageous at all. It seems this is mostly about the 767, which I agree is dumpy, especially in coach. But the 767s are around, and the choice is either fly them somewhere or don't fly to as many destinations, as AA doesn't have unlimited new planes. AA certainly aren't going to put that product on JFK-LHR. I remember some years back taking the 767 on RDU-LHR before it went back to the 777. Even then the 767 was a dump. But it got me to London without having to connect, which far outweighed the negatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.