Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:48 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Another cheap way to keep accounts active is to buy a $1 song from iTunes via AAdvantage eShopping. Usually takes about 5 weeks to post, though.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Sign up for AA dining is one of the best ways to rack up miles and extend your expiration date. Plus, you get to eat at restaurants that you never knew before
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dstan
Another cheap way to keep accounts active is to buy a $1 song from iTunes via AAdvantage eShopping. Usually takes about 5 weeks to post, though.
As has been reported in other posts, if you have activity before the deadline, but it doesn't post by the deadline and they take your miles away, a phone call will get them back at no cost and with no hassle.

(I think they wait a few days before taking anything away, as miles for AA flights typically post 2-4 days after the flight and other miles take at least that long or longer, but five weeks may be a bit much to ask.)
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
As has been reported in other posts, if you have activity before the deadline, but it doesn't post by the deadline and they take your miles away, a phone call will get them back at no cost and with no hassle.

(I think they wait a few days before taking anything away, as miles for AA flights typically post 2-4 days after the flight and other miles take at least that long or longer, but five weeks may be a bit much to ask.)
Thanks for the clarification - I hadn't followed this issue closely enough on that point to know whether or not that would work.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 8:19 am
ccc

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
What is the best/cheapest way to renew miles in a short time?

Apologies if this is a stupid question. My American miles expire on June 28. What is the best/cheapest way to renew them? I can't fly any segments. If I buy something today online from the Aadvantage mall (or whatever it's called) will this renew my miles and is the renewal effective from the date of the purchase or from the date the miles get posted to the account? Thanks very much for your help.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HHonors Silver, Pre✓®
AAdvantage Dining miles post within two weeks, sometimes shorter and sometimes longer.

Couldn't OP purchase some miles? I do believe that'll keep your account active...

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jun 15, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by joshuaw2
AAdvantage Dining miles post within two weeks, sometimes shorter and sometimes longer.

Couldn't OP purchase some miles? I do believe that'll keep your account active...

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
my dines are coming in about a week or so. buy miles on aa, buy something from a partner or transfer from a partner, like spg
Old Jun 15, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Buying through the AA Shopping area or get a magazine subscription. Get a credit card from Citi.

Cheers
Old Jun 15, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Opinion Place

take a survey. They usually post within 2-3 weeks.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Almost GLD
I'd buy miles.... i think 1,000 is 17.50? That seems like the easiest way.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:14 pm

iTunes via aadvantageeshopping.com - $0.99
Old Jun 15, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
I wouldn't do the AAdvantage shopping if you want o get the miles quickly, took almost a month for me to get anything. AAdine only a few days for me.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
IIRC it doesn't matter when they post, as long as your activity is before the expiration date, you would be ok. (Pls double check with others.)

Many easy ways to engage in some activity. Ones I find convenient is registering your credit card for the Dining program at aa.rewardsnetwork.com. Look up a restaurant near you, any day/time restrictions, and then just eat out there and pay with your card.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
1. Rent a cheap car for a day, but has to be at the airport to get points. Might be the fastest thing you can do.

2. The UNICEF deal is back on (AA.com/Advatage/Charities). I made small donations to keep all my children's accounts going (but they haven't posted in two weeks).

3. Looks like you can also donate to USO again.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ccc
Apologies if this is a stupid question. My American miles expire on June 28. What is the best/cheapest way to renew them? I can't fly any segments. If I buy something today online from the Aadvantage mall (or whatever it's called) will this renew my miles and is the renewal effective from the date of the purchase or from the date the miles get posted to the account? Thanks very much for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.