Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1M, 1K,AA 2M,HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Find an inexpensive Hilton property for a weekend night stay.
For example, can usually get a night a Hilton Garden Inn in the Denver area for something around $69...you get points and 500 miles if you have your account set up correctly.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If you have someone to send flowers to, send them.

If you don't have anyone to send flowers to you have my sympathy. PM me for a name and address.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Thanks everyone!

I actually ended up remembering to sign up for the dining rewards right before I went out to dinner. That solved it easily--- thanks for that suggestion!

Sending flowers is a good idea--- that's sort of like a mileage run but might land you a date!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Winglets747
You could spend 99 cents on iTunes and get 1 AAdvantage mile through the shopping program.

Probably the cheapest option while keeping all of your miles, although iTunes does take a while to post.
Originally Posted by DCAstudent
Buy something via www.aadvantageeshopping.com (you could buy just one single iTune and pay only around $1 to keep the miles, for example)
Does anyone have any actual experience with this?

The reason why I ask is because each iTunes song usually costs 99¢, but one earns 2 American AAdvantage miles for every dollar spent. If one purchases one song, does one get 1 or 2 American AAdvantage miles, or does one get any American AAdvantage miles at all?

Would one need to purchase two iTunes songs in order to receive American AAdvantage miles?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Does anyone have any actual experience with this?

The reason why I ask is because each iTunes song usually costs 99¢, but one earns 2 American AAdvantage miles for every dollar spent. If one purchases one song, does one get 1 or 2 American AAdvantage miles, or does one get any American AAdvantage miles at all?

Would one need to purchase two iTunes songs in order to receive American AAdvantage miles?
I always pay tax per song, so they are never .99
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by daggett24
I always pay tax per song, so they are never .99
...so, therefore, tax counts as well towards earning American AAdvantage miles?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
...so, therefore, tax counts as well towards earning American AAdvantage miles?
If you pay tax then yes.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:06 am

Programs: divident miles
please help- upcoming aadvantage account expiration

hello all my freinds
i have 10.000 aa miles in 2 different accounts - both expire in 6-24-2008-
this month - also i do have 30.000 miles in my wife's account .

i do have 2 questions
1. if i move the miles from the 10.000 miles account to my wife's what happen to the expieration date of miles.
2. if i move the 10.000 miles to the other 10.000 miles account , what happenn to miles expiartion date for both

please advise me asap

ty
mike
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by sealevel
hello all my freinds
i have 10.000 aa miles in 2 different accounts - both expire in 6-24-2008-
this month - also i do have 30.000 miles in my wife's account .

i do have 2 questions
1. if i move the miles from the 10.000 miles account to my wife's what happen to the expieration date of miles.
2. if i move the 10.000 miles to the other 10.000 miles account , what happenn to miles expiartion date for both

mike
Miles into or out of an account will change the expirtation date.

SIgn up at points.com, take the 10 mile AA sign up bonus, and you are safe for 18 more months, without worrying about transferring miles and the fees involved.

(also, be a bit descriptive in the topic, "need help" isn't really descriptive of the questions asked)
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:32 am

thank you
did sign up for point.com for both accounts
Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:09 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Do the same for your wife's account.

Also, AA will probably agree to combine your two accounts if the names are same. Unless you have reasons to keep two accts, it is usually better to consolidate. Then, if you sign up for dining rewards, shopping, or an AA credit card, then even occasional activity will keep that acct alive.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Do the same for your wife's account.

Also, AA will probably agree to combine your two accounts if the names are same. Unless you have reasons to keep two accts, it is usually better to consolidate. Then, if you sign up for dining rewards, shopping, or an AA credit card, then even occasional activity will keep that acct alive.
hi again
is there a fee to combine the two accounts -yes both have same last name
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:59 am

Any AAdvantage activity (earning/redeeming miles) delays the expiration date of the total miles in the account by 18 months. So whether you redeem your miles for a magazine subscription, or buy a $6 sandwich at an AAdvantage dining restaurant, or use any of the many AAdvantage partner offers, that counts as activity.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sealevel
...is there a fee to combine the two accounts - yes both have same last name
There hasn't been in the past. I suspect this happens seldom enough that a fee wouldn't raise enough revenue to notice, though these days anything seems to be fair game.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:01 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Some magazines require as little as 400 miles; at the other extreme, the Economist requires 3200 (@0.01 a mile valuation this is a big bargain!)
Magazines are hard to find--aadvantage--partners and mileage--additional partners--magazines for miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.