Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Updating Cole Haan Amenity Kits in "March 2018"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Updating Cole Haan Amenity Kits in "March 2018"

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott

Didn't see anyone posted it before so here it is. Looks extremely low-end. The amenity kit seems to be made of a mix of nylon and polyester and thus feels cheap as well. I feel like going back to college when I was attending career fairs where recruiters handed out bags of pens and water bottles etc, or maybe even cheaper than those...
Old May 28, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
it looks cheap for a flagship amenity bag but it makes a useful grocery bag, especially when you just want a carton of milk
Old May 28, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I dig the black ear plugs. No I don't, who am I fooling?
Old May 28, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I think the idea of not having tons of Dopp kits, and introducing something more practical is nice, but the execution is poor. I'm using two of the shoe bags in my travels to pack my dress shoes.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This is like the 8th iteration of kits in the last 5 years. I understand wanting variety, but yeesh.

I personally liked the dot pattern tablet cases from 5 years ago. My mom still uses one it as a tablet case.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is like the 8th iteration of kits in the last 5 years. I understand wanting variety, but yeesh.

I personally liked the dot pattern tablet cases from 5 years ago. My mom still uses one it as a tablet case.
The Eames dot pattern was stylish and at least had a certain cachet (although the tablet-sized amenity kits were in circulation for way too long). The kits over the past few years have been rubbish and from my standpoint, at least, are an utter waste of money and resources.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I agree the current J kit looks and feels cheapo. However, I have really enjoyed it post-flight as a shoe bag / dirty laundry bag. Much more useful than the smaller, long ones they replaced... which I think were some of the worst designed in recent years. Long and skinny... didn't like them.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by econometrics
I agree the current J kit looks and feels cheapo. However, I have really enjoyed it post-flight as a shoe bag / dirty laundry bag. Much more useful than the smaller, long ones they replaced... which I think were some of the worst designed in recent years. Long and skinny... didn't like them.
Personally, I think it is way too small for laundry bag. But I'll try to use it as shoes bag next time.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by econometrics
anyone else had difficulty with the zipper of the old J kit? would always break - that was the worst kit in years I think.
new international J kit is a pretty decent shoe bag- fits a pair of vibrams size gym shoes, but not big enough to fit two dress shoes.
I have never seen it in person, but the new international F kit looks the same as the original international J cole haan kit from a few years ago they had for years -- the one which had multiple styles and colors, except the zipper is now at the top rather than in the middle. Looks ridiculously cheap. Has anyone seen it yet in person?
one upgrade is that the eyeshades no longer have velcro -- one size fits all now, which is actually a more relaxing fit for me.
I think all the kits do have a small CO Bigelow mouthwash, or maybe just the old international F kit did.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Please, just say no

How many of us need the things in these kits? Most of us have those things in our carry-on cases and personal items. I hope that leaving the kit unopened means that one less container and its contained stuff will make its way to a landfill to rest there in perpetuity. If you don't really need what's inside, please leave the kit sealed up and unopened. Maybe those of us who get to fly up front can also do a little for the planet and our kids and grandkids?
jiaotze and robertablake like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Cole Haan should not allow for putting their name on such a garbage bag!

If AA Execs are looking for some real ways to save $, they should be actively looking for sponsorships from:
- Dollar General (because nothing in such bag costs more than $1)
- Big Lots! (nice orange logo and toothpaste could be with a close expiration date)
- Or just clear plastic 1 quart-size bag to satisfy the TSA requirements (I am sure they can negotiate free bags from Ziploc)
enviroian likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by dia1
How many of us need the things in these kits? Most of us have those things in our carry-on cases and personal items. I hope that leaving the kit unopened means that one less container and its contained stuff will make its way to a landfill to rest there in perpetuity. If you don't really need what's inside, please leave the kit sealed up and unopened. Maybe those of us who get to fly up front can also do a little for the planet and our kids and grandkids?
Need is a subjective word. Sometimes I fly Y and sometimes I fly J based on weather or not I can get an upgrade. When I do fly in J and have the kit, I use the mouthwash after I eat and sometimes use the lip balm. The pen comes in handy when filling out landing cards. I use the eye-shade if I sleep and eventually use the socks. I don't use the toothbrush because I don't like to actually brush my teeth on a plane, or the earplugs/headphone covers.

As an aside, if you leave it on your seat opened or unopened, someone from the Y cabin will probably take it as they leave the aircraft, depending upon your seat location and which door is opened.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by dia1
I give unopened kits to friends/family flying longhaul Y. Doesn't save the planet, but it does make the experience less agonizing for people not so fortunate as me.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Didn't see anyone posted it before so here it is. Looks extremely low-end. The amenity kit seems to be made of a mix of nylon and polyester and thus feels cheap as well. I feel like going back to college when I was attending career fairs where recruiters handed out bags of pens and water bottles etc, or maybe even cheaper than those...
I agree it looks low-end; if going for a shoe bag approach, the cloth bags from BA were a little nicer than this cheap plastic.

Originally Posted by ajklink
I would like to see more hand lotion (not even enough for the flight) and less lip balm (who doesn’t already have chapstick?) in the AA amenity kits.

I like the idea idea that you can use the kit as a shoe bag (or even small laundry bag); always helpful for the return trip.
I was skeptical, but managed to fit a pair of size 12 4E shoes into the bag! It wouldn't zipper closed, but still that's impressive to me and will come in handy more than I thought.

Meanwhile, I very much like the lip balm in kits, especially the CO Bigelow one - nicer than Chap Stick or the Kiehl's from Delta.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Been using my shoe bag lately for my 10.5 Nike running shoes on trips. They fit perfectly.

Otherwise, the kids love them for putting random things in them, ha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.