Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

QR's website showing different AA flights choices than AA's website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

I'm new to booking international travel within Oneworld. I've been only domestic to date. I'm going to be doing DSM to AMD 4x per year. I want to do the entire trip with Oneworld partners. I'll have to travel economy. The AA website does not show any 2-stop options for DSM to AMD. It only shows 3-stop options. Even for flights involving QR, it shows only DSM - ORD - LHR - DOH - AMD that I can find.

However, on QR's website, it shows 2-stop options that are DSM - ORD - DOH - AMD. Then I've tried the Oneworld flight search and it only shows 1 option for DSM - AMD which is DSM - DFW - DOH - AMD - a flight that neither AA's or QR's website shows. And Google Flights show no Oneworld options for DSM - AMD at all.

Why am I getting such different results?

What is the recommended method of seeing the most choice / fares for DSM - AMD and booking it such that the miles end up in my AA account and count towards status? I should easily have 100K miles per year with other domestic travel so I want to make sure I get these DSM - AMD bookings right.

Last question, is there any big difference in the economy products that I should consider BA instead of QR for this trip? Thanks much.
PANK KP likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by jeffcarp
I'm new to booking international travel within Oneworld. I've been only domestic to date. I'm going to be doing DSM to AMD 4x per year. I want to do the entire trip with Oneworld partners. I'll have to travel economy. The AA website does not show any 2-stop options for DSM to AMD. It only shows 3-stop options. Even for flights involving QR, it shows only DSM - ORD - LHR - DOH - AMD that I can find.

However, on QR's website, it shows 2-stop options that are DSM - ORD - DOH - AMD. Then I've tried the Oneworld flight search and it only shows 1 option for DSM - AMD which is DSM - DFW - DOH - AMD - a flight that neither AA's or QR's website shows. And Google Flights show no Oneworld options for DSM - AMD at all.

What is the recommended method of seeing the most choice / fares for DSM - AMD and booking it such that the miles end up in my AA account and count towards status? I should easily have 100K miles per year with other domestic travel so I want to make sure I get these DSM - AMD bookings right.

Last question, is there any big difference in the economy products that I should consider BA instead of QR for this trip? Thanks much.
My guess is that neither QR nor AA publishes fares DSM-AMD that allows the other's flights (it does look like either AA or EY publishes DSM-AMD fares that have AA/EY travel).
So aa.com and qr.com are probably breaking out the itineraries differently - AA is constructing DSM-ORD, ORD-AMD, and QR is constructing DSM-DOH, DOH-AMD.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DWFI
My guess is that neither QR nor AA publishes fares DSM-AMD that allows the other's flights (it does look like either AA or EY publishes DSM-AMD fares that have AA/EY travel).
So aa.com and qr.com are probably breaking out the itineraries differently - AA is constructing DSM-ORD, ORD-AMD, and QR is constructing DSM-DOH, DOH-AMD.
Also, this weekend might not have been the time to be checking this, due to:

Major Schedule Change Overnight 3 Mar 2018

and the time such schedule changes might take to filter through to partners. (One site might be showing updated schedule, another site may still have the old schedule.)

Check again in a few days when all that has settled down.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by jeffcarp
1) aa.com is particularly great for getting connecting itineraries with partners. The search engine is heavily biased towards AA-codes flights and would not show some of the partners options that may be available.
2) Google flight is a good start to explore available options.
3) It looks like AMD is only served from DXB or DOH or domestically in India. This limits your choices for airlines. I don't see BA flying there.
4) Another problem is that you are starting in DSM and not many airlines would have a proper codeshare in place for DSM-ORD or even published airfare between DSM and AMD.
5) When booking with partners, you have to pay a close attention to the fare because your AA credits could be very different. For Qatar, see
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp
6) Finally, you can try OTA's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.