Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA in the Market for Used A319 as MD-80 Replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA in the Market for Used A319 as MD-80 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NavSTL
Oh, I know Delta's embarked on a great big fleet modernization--and honestly, the old habit wasn't even a bad one in my view. Just pointing out that acquiring used planes is hardly a rarity in the industry, and one of the other legacies was literally built on the practice for quite a while.
Nor could the average flyer tell the difference between a brand new plane and a 25-year-old one with a refurbed cabin.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Going to miss the Super 80's. The A319's are great aircraft and AA is smart for buying used perfectly fine aircraft. That being said, the way AA configures their A319's bring about many UN Human Right violations along with being up there with many war crimes.
I fly out of HSV.

AA used to fly 140-seat MD-80s out of HSV. Those airplanes routinely flew 100% load factor, meaning EVERY SEAT HAD SOMEONE IN IT.

When they brought in the A319s, they configured the A319s with 128 seats. In order to shoehorn that many seats in, they had to go from 16F to 8F AND they had to go to RJ seat pitches throughout Y. It was obviously a blunder. It said that AA expected to lose business out of HSV, and they were downsizing their capacity.

What was interesting was that, some months earlier, I'd talked with an F FA on one of the MD-80s. He'd told me in no uncertain terms that the plan was to replace the MD-80s with 737s. This was before the USAir deal was in the air.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by zarkov505
I fly out of HSV.

AA used to fly 140-seat MD-80s out of HSV. Those airplanes routinely flew 100% load factor, meaning EVERY SEAT HAD SOMEONE IN IT.

When they brought in the A319s, they configured the A319s with 128 seats. In order to shoehorn that many seats in, they had to go from 16F to 8F AND they had to go to RJ seat pitches throughout Y. It was obviously a blunder. It said that AA expected to lose business out of HSV, and they were downsizing their capacity.

What was interesting was that, some months earlier, I'd talked with an F FA on one of the MD-80s. He'd told me in no uncertain terms that the plan was to replace the MD-80s with 737s. This was before the USAir deal was in the air.
I certainly prefer the Mad Dog to the A319 but having every seat full is different than running profitability. Smaller airplanes can be more profitable because they have higher than average fares. Or, in the case of ERJ's, potentially less profitable because they have higher than average cost per seat mile. It's a balance and FA's aren't involved in revenue management or fleet planning. For example, an FA was shocked when I told her how much I hated the 757. It was her favorite plane because the galleys are big. It was my most hated plane because it didn't have power and the seat pitch was poor.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
MD80s may also have been favored because they were lighter in weight. The A319 is a heavy aircraft for its capacity. Lighter weight often means lower landing and airport fees.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Mar 6, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I'm just trying to learn why the MD-80 planes are so great? It was a sincere question, I really want to know.

Besides, wifi isn't always reliable so what happens when it isn't working? The seat back screens would be a good option to have so you're not as bored.

And if you ride in the back, your plane ride is miserable from what I've heard from other people due to the noise.
  • Only noise you hear in front is the whisper of wind through the door. Most of the times one could sleep through landing so quiet
  • 2-3 seating more overhead, aisle, window seat ratio.
  • Huge first class section for size of the plane
  • Full size closets
  • Power and Wifi
  • I remember when they used to have meal service with 4 flight attendants
  • Back tail exit for in op situations - twice used myself
  • Does anyone remember the Wooly Mamoth seats (or was that the 75)?
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm surprised that American is fighting with United for the used A319 market. United is buying up used A319s (from China Southern) while ordering new Boeings because American has a Most Favored Customer (MFC) clause with Airbus giving American the lowest pricing (which includes giving American a refund of the difference if Airbus offers a lower price to anyone else), which also means that Airbus can't simply produce a counteroffer when Boeing undercuts them without a large penalty since American is the largest operator of the A320 family in the world.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by diburning
I'm surprised that American is fighting with United for the used A319 market. United is buying up used A319s (from China Southern) while ordering new Boeings because American has a Most Favored Customer (MFC) clause with Airbus giving American the lowest pricing (which includes giving American a refund of the difference if Airbus offers a lower price to anyone else), which also means that Airbus can't simply produce a counteroffer when Boeing undercuts them without a large penalty since American is the largest operator of the A320 family in the world.
It might not be down to money but turn around time. I believe there isn't much space in the A320 production line.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I love the mad dog because when I fly it I get upgraded every time so it's quiet.

For those of you not flying F it sucks and the farther you go back the louder.

The 2-3 seating is nice but other than than and the F cabin it should be your last choice of aircraft to fly if you are a Y traveler.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by enviroian
I love the mad dog because when I fly it I get upgraded every time so it's quiet.

For those of you not flying F it sucks and the farther you go back the louder.

The 2-3 seating is nice but other than than and the F cabin it should be your last choice of aircraft to fly if you are a Y traveler.
I'd argue the new 7M8 config is now the last choice for Y travelers.
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Without any AVOD the 7M8 is the MD80s sans 16 comfy F seats and 2x3 Y seating. Other than more maintenance issues with the MD80 I'd take the MD80 over the 7M8 anyday.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
DL has moved away from this approach. Their former CEO, Richard Anderson, typically only acquired used aircraft and then did complete refurbs of their interiors so you'd never know the difference. Their new CEO has pulled back from this approach and seems to be purchasing mainly new aircraft.
Given Delta's route network and a preference for mainline over contract service on smaller routes, and relatively low price tag on the planes, it made perfect sense for them to snap up all the 717s offered, and that same low, low price made it easy to justify putting money into refurbing them to new-looking cabins. The Delta 717s are my favorite mid-sized/single aisle plane at this point.

The new CS100s are again a case of Delta looking for a long term replacement for the MD/717 family of planes and getting a price they couldn't justify passing up for aircraft they anticipate meeting those needs well. (And if any more 717s came back on the market at the right price, Delta would likely love to acquire and refurb them as well.)

They seem to be looking for the right value for their fleet whether it's new or pre-owned.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I have fond memories of the MD80s. On my first time flying one, I was in F, and we were pushing back. I didn't feel a thump of a pushbar disconnect, didn't hear engines starting/revving up, and we started rolling forward not too long after pushback, so I thought we were being towed out of the alley. I was surprised when we didn't stop when we reached the end of the alley, turned right, and was accelerating. I pulled up the speedometer app on my phone and it said we were doing 35mph!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:30 am

Airbus is also asking very close to the same price for a 319 as they do for a 320 and the 321 is only slighty more than that. There is no reason to buy a new 319 when the plane you are getting is so much smaller, but nearly the same price. 319 will be the new 717, no one will buy them new until Airbus drops price (won't) on them, so they heavily demanded in used market.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by FN-GM
It might not be down to money but turn around time. I believe there isn't much space in the A320 production line.
Thought they were bringing a second final assembly online in Mobile?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by shimps1
Airbus is also asking very close to the same price for a 319 as they do for a 320 and the 321 is only slighty more than that. There is no reason to buy a new 319 when the plane you are getting is so much smaller, but nearly the same price. 319 will be the new 717, no one will buy them new until Airbus drops price (won't) on them, so they heavily demanded in used market.
Removing 7 frames is mostly the metal and assembly cost, the big items are common between the 319 and 320, so they naturally will be similar costs, before interiors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.