Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA in the Market for Used A319 as MD-80 Replacement

Old Mar 3, 18, 1:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Love the AA A319? Yeah, it’s not our favorite, in many cases. But AA is apparently scouting the used aircraft market for A319-100s to fill in for the MD-80 on slimmer routes.

AA has 125 A319s seating 128, including two rows of F and four of MCE, currently. As well, AA is down to 10 MD-82s and 35 MD-83s seating 140, including four rows of F and seven of MCE. All MD-80s are slated for withdrawal from service during 2018-19. In part:

American Airlines eyes used A319s as MD-80 replacement
ch-aviation, 2 Mar 2018 <link>

"Newer model used aircraft are absolutely something we have an eye out for. As we take a look at where A319s are available we are going to be out there after them, because we want them. They are a little bit larger than we need in terms of total seating capacity but when you take a look at the operating economics when you put it into our fleet, it works really well," President Robert Isom has said.
Old Mar 3, 18, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Not only is it tight with the lousy seat pitch and only 8F, it is also a really ugly aircraft.

Ugh..
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Not only is it tight with the lousy seat pitch and only 8F, it is also a really ugly aircraft.

Ugh..
Sigh...it looks like any other aircraft...virtually the same size as the 737-700. Yes, AA's configuration is cramped, but that is AA's choice. US had 12F/112Y with an inch more pitch in Y.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Sigh...it looks like any other aircraft...virtually the same size as the 737-700. Yes, AA's configuration is cramped, but that is AA's choice. US had 12F/112Y with an inch more pitch in Y.
My first A319 flight was on US from PIT to SNA and back. It was a great plane, even in coach. That was in June 1999, well before the America West merger.
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
As the Boss once said... "Glory days... they'll pass you by..."

Dublin_rfk and DCP2016 like this.
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:59 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
EasyJet are offloading A319s. Allegiant are picking up a number of them. The EasyJet A319s are different from the standard build as they have 2 over wing exits, not sure if this will be a problem for AA.

The link in the OP isn't correct. AA doesn't have the largest A319 fleet. EasyJet does.
Old Mar 3, 18, 4:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
EasyJet are offloading A319s. Allegiant are picking up a number of them. The EasyJet A319s are different from the standard build as they have 2 over wing exits, not sure if this will be a problem for AA.

The link in the OP isn't correct. AA doesn't have the largest A319 fleet. EasyJet does.
I’m not sure that’s the link that’s faulty . The article linked to seems to have a couple of inaccuracies in it, though
Old Mar 3, 18, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
It is generally a fat short aircraft - the 737-700 at least sits lower and has a slimmer profile.

the 319 and 318 are the narrowbody version of a 747SP or a380.
Old Mar 3, 18, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

It is generally a fat short aircraft - the 737-700 at least sits lower and has a slimmer profile.

the 319 and 318 are the narrowbody version of a 747SP or a380.
I loved the 747SP, though.
Old Mar 3, 18, 8:16 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones

Ugh..
In addition, it's very noisy especially on take off and landing. We were on a Bangkok Airways A319 from CEI-BKK and seems like every manuever and change on the ground was deafeningly loud. Plus, it's a white knuckler in turbulance for those that are a little queezy with that stuff. Oh yeah, and seems that AA likes using it for near transcons (YYZ-LAX for example.) IMO, the A319/320's suck.
Old Mar 3, 18, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
What I love about the A319 is when in the F bathroom, I'm able to practice stretching my back backwards. Good thing I'm not that tall!
Old Mar 3, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Great, just great. Crap used planes with the worst F/Y ratio imaginable. I avoid AA on routes with the A319 SPECIFICALLY because of how poorly they have configured these aircraft. I'll take an E175 over these any day of the week.
JDiver, C17PSGR, lougord99 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 18, 11:17 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Can American not afford to buy brand new planes? What gives?

McDonnell Douglass planes have been in use since the 1980's, did American not have enough time to save up to purchase new Airbuses?

I'm flying an American A319 out of Syracuse to Charlotte because I thought they'd be better than the stupid prop planes that make up 95% of the fleet at my airport.
Old Mar 3, 18, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
Can American not afford to buy brand new planes? What gives?

McDonnell Douglass planes have been in use since the 1980's, did American not have enough time to save up to purchase new Airbuses?

I'm flying an American A319 out of Syracuse to Charlotte because I thought they'd be better than the stupid prop planes that make up 95% of the fleet at my airport.
Why buy something new when a cheaper, as reliable, used version is available to fill the slot? American buys used the same reason people buy used cars, it's cheaper and still gets the required job done.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 4, 18, 12:03 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Why buy something new when a cheaper, as reliable, used version is available to fill the slot? American buys used the same reason people buy used cars, it's cheaper and still gets the required job done.
They should be buying planes with the latest technology in them. Nothing screams "I'm cheap" more so than a multi billion dollar company buying used instead of new.

A person who buys a used car on the other hand? Not a multi billionaire.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: