Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to business after booking?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Upgrade to business after booking?

I have flown London-Miami on ba and after booking in WTP I have received offers the manage my booking for a cheap upgrade to Club Class. We are travelling the same route in November and are looking at our options as not keen on flying BA anymore. Do American have the same system to upgrade to the next cabin after booking? I do not have any status with AA but have avios with BA. TIA.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I haven't seen any offers to buy up to buisness after booking, that being said if the buisness fares become cheap you can always call to upfare to buisness for the difference in ticket price. AA has a policy of waiving the cancellation fee to pay cash to upgrade flights.

If you had some AA miles there are also Miles and Co-pay upgrades that are possible.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I once received an offer to upgrade to J on AA flight CDG-JFK, around 24 hours before the flight-time. It was around $500.
I guess the J cabin was fairly empty, hence the offer.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA does make these offers on occasion. They are based on RM/IM predictions and may or may not be good value vis-a-vis the simple purchase of a J ticket at the outset. Depending on when the travel is in November -- Thanksgiving is the single busiest travel period in the US -- there may or may not be availability later on in any event.

In any event, do not plan on an offer and do not plan on that offer being a particularly good offer. AA tends not to bid against itself on international routes.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Very unlikely. Been flying AA heavily for 10 years now, and never once been offered an INTL Y-->J upgrade on AA like BA does at times. (without me asking at the counter, or using an upgrade instrument.)
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:00 pm

Upgrades from PE to Business can be very good value on AA but you need availability and AA miles (with few exceptions).
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National EC E, Sixt Gold,
Originally Posted by erik123
Upgrades from PE to Business can be very good value on AA but you need availability and AA miles (with few exceptions).
You've seen upgrades available from W/E/T to J on AA? Kiosk/LFBU, SWU, or miles/copay? I've only flown AA PE a few times (as an actual E/T fare basis --- been "surprised" with "MCE" to PE several times) but I've never seen an upgrade offer...
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I’ve had this happen several times LHR -> DFW. Also around $500 each time. I’m guessing with the new changes that remove J seats in the TATL fleet it likely won’t ever happen again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.