Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Shirtless AA pax runs around apron trying to fight airport workers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shirtless AA pax runs around apron trying to fight airport workers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
What he’s trying to say in reply is it can’t actually be “tarmac” because it’s Tarmac, but that’s actually a proper noun used for a particular type of surface that might be used on airports, roads, etc. But the proper term (unfortunately the news personnel all got it wrong,) is the “apron”. The apron is that area of an airport where aircraft load and unload, etc.

Very commonly, even native English speakers - even aspiring journalists - get this one wrong.
Its not just aspiring journalists...frankly I cannot recall the last time I saw a "journalist" or "travel expert" on any news show that was talking about air travel that had accurate factual information. My favorite is when their photos or animations show different airframes than what the story is about (most people cannot tell the difference between a Boeing aircraft and an Airbus let alone the different types of aircraft). The thing is their audiences for the most part have no clue, the person asking them questions have even less of a clue but the "experts" speak with confidence so people think...yeah that must be true because they were introduced as an "expert", it says so in the bar on the screen with their name so they must be! I'm off now to call every airline I have tickets on to drop the term "revenue management" since I've heard recently that will ensure I get an upgrade 100% of the time! I mean someone who flies a whopping "nearly 100K miles" says so and its on the Internet so it must be true!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mvoight
Probably had a few PDBs BEFORE boarding
More likely PBRs.
ryan182 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
But the proper term (unfortunately the news personnel all got it wrong,) is the “apron”. The apron is that area of an airport where aircraft load and unload, etc.
You'd also be fine with "ramp" in the US/Canada. Not official but acceptable.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by deeruck
You'd also be fine with "ramp" in the US/Canada. Not official but acceptable.
Yes. My introduction to the ramp as an aspiring pilot was when I was asked to fetch a bucket of prop wash...
C17PSGR and deeruck like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by N830MH
Wrong! It's real news, not a fake news. Get it?
It's an OMNI joke. You obviously didn't get it.

What he’s trying to say in reply is it can’t actually be “tarmac” because it’s Tarmac, but that’s actually a proper noun used for a particular type of surface that might be used on airports, roads, etc. But the proper term (unfortunately the news personnel all got it wrong,) is the “apron”. The apron is that area of an airport where aircraft load and unload, etc.
But an apron can consist of Tarmac.

But unlikely at this major airport. I suspect he ran around a concrete apron not a Tarmac apron.

Be careful not to spill the prop wash on your apron.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 2, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
What are the apron strings used for?

English is an interesting group of languages.
I would guess apron strings are to tie planes to the apron
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich

Be careful not to spill the prop wash on your apron.
That can be tough to clean up.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
But the proper term (unfortunately the news personnel all got it wrong,) is the “apron”. The apron is that area of an airport where aircraft load and unload, etc.

Very commonly, even native English speakers - even aspiring journalists - get this one wrong.
I disagree that it's "wrong". Irrespective of the jargon used in the airline industry, "tarmac" is the most commonly used term in everyday English to describe the paved area where airplanes taxi and park at an airport. Therefore, it's "correct" to the extent that anything is ever correct in language. Even those who know the jargon and "know" that apron or ramp is "correct" know what anyone who says "tarmac" means, and in everyday contexts (such as this story) the distinction doesn't matter. There are some aviation contexts in which the jargon does matter, but the people for whom the jargon matters know the jargon!

[/marginally on-topic rant]
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
So is this the equivalent of calling all photocopiers "Xerox machines", all tissues "Kleenex", and all bandages "Band-Aids"?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
I disagree that it's "wrong". Irrespective of the jargon used in the airline industry, "tarmac" is the most commonly used term in everyday English to describe the paved area where airplanes taxi and park at an airport. Therefore, it's "correct" to the extent that anything is ever correct in language. Even those who know the jargon and "know" that apron or ramp is "correct" know what anyone who says "tarmac" means, and in everyday contexts (such as this story) the distinction doesn't matter. There are some aviation contexts in which the jargon does matter, but the people for whom the jargon matters know the jargon!

[/marginally on-topic rant]
Does your logic permit the continued use of "air pocket," as in "the airplane hit an air pocket," even though that is incorrect?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
Back to the original topic -- is it possible that the shirtless passenger was not promptly recognized as Executive Platinum? Some people take that pretty seriously. After all, 100,000 miles is a fair amount.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by deeruck
That can be tough to clean up.
Yup, sure is. They have to clean it up the mess.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
I wonder if he was upset about the FLL, JAX and ZRH fares?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does CLT do a lot of stairs+buses instead of gates? He did this running around after being asked to leave the plane, and if there were stairs it's easy to see how he got there, but if they was a proper gate, how did he get out onto the "tarmac" or whatever you want to call it?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does CLT do a lot of stairs+buses instead of gates? He did this running around after being asked to leave the plane, and if there were stairs it's easy to see how he got there, but if they was a proper gate, how did he get out onto the "tarmac" or whatever you want to call it?
CLT's E gates are for AA's CRJ-200, CRJ-700, CRJ-900, E145, and Dash 8's. All E gates you go outside and board via stairs or ramp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.