Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Terrible Service (BOS-MIA 6 hr delay, no cheese & fruit plate, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible Service (BOS-MIA 6 hr delay, no cheese & fruit plate, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by beachfan

like 18 months ago.

i would complain again. Look at the compensation thread in this forum. I would think 5k miles each might be right or it might be low, the thread should give you some data points(I got 10k miles for a similar delay in 2016, as an EXP in coach).

The $12 voucher might be disappointing, but it’s the delay that’s the issue, the size if the meal voucher is inflexible.

surprised people are talking about “a few miles” unless they mean 5k each is a few.

I had a 3.5hr delay last August for mx. Just as the nose started to lift, takeoff was aborted and back to the gate we went. Deplaned, waited, carried on. AA had auto-booked me onto the next available connection once in the air, and there was 10k miles dropped into my account before landing.

Delays are unfortunate, but much better than the alternative possibility.
beachfan likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
One thing to point out, the fact that you were in first class doesn't mean anything with regards to your meal voucher.
You are 100% right. However, how is that justified?

I know that CoC- but in real world, should not premium product get premium comp?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by alhcfp
You are 100% right. However, how is that justified?

I know that CoC- but in real world, should not premium product get premium comp?
I see what your'e saying but since OP was still able to take the flight and receive the first class benefits they actually got what they paid for (although the whole cheese plate is in question).
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bleuorchid21
Our flight from Boston to Miami was scheduled for departure at 12:52 PM (on February 15th). Due to an air flow issue on the aircraft, we had to wait for another aircraft to be brought in. We ended up departing Boston at 7:08 PM (over 6 hrs. later). We were located in first class and received a $12.00 meal voucher (there were 6 of us in our travel party). I feel like that is very small compensation considering the amount of time we were delayed and also considering first class received the same compensation as those not located in first class.

Secondly somehow the airline got my food order messed up and I had pre-ordered thefruit and cheese plate and this was not on record so I did not receive a meal on the flight. The stewardess did not ask me if I wanted anything else after this happened (including a beverage).

On our return flight (a few days ago), we had a connecting flight from Charlotte, NH back to Boston. This flight was delayed by almost 1.5 hrs. as something was wrong with this aircraft as well. We had been boarded onto the plane and then had to disembark as the issue was not resolved. Thankfully, another plane was available to fly us back home.

I have traveled with another airline in the past, been delayed an hour due to aircraft issues, not been in first class, and received a $50 voucher as an apology, along with a free onboard movie (all the customers did).

------------------------------------------------

AA's response to me:
"We try to run a seamless operation but sometimes we have delays like these. We always try and keep them to a minimum."
Sorry for your experience. It's always disappointing to be stuck at the airport for a few hours like this. Unfortunately, mechanicals do happen -- in my 50 flights so far this year, I've had one that was around three hours. I didn't get any compensation although, like others, I recall getting some compensation in miles fairly automatically.

Of course, there are some good places in the Boston airport to eat, drink, and relax.

When you wrote to AA did they offer you any miles? Curious.

As for the meal, I'm assuming that they offered you a meal of some type but didn't have the fruit plate you had special ordered. I've certainly had them run out of my preferred choice of meals, but never had an experience where they simply skipped me (well --- I have been asleep a couple of times). Normally, I would expect they would tell you that somehow something slipped in catering and ask if you wanted the meat or non-meat meal. Are you saying just told you that they didn't have your meal and then offered a choice to your seatmate? What did you say when that happened?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The fruit and cheese plate is very pedestrian. $12 at Starbucks will get you something as good.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: none
Statistically, half of the flights are below average. This was one of them.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Statistically, half of the flights are below average. This was one of them.
too be pedantic, you have confused the median with the mean (I.e average)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by beachfan

too be pedantic, you have confused the median with the mean (I.e average)
To be ultra pedantic, given the number of flights per day, the median approaches the mean, most likely.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
To be ultra pedantic, given the number of flights per day, the median approaches the mean, most likely.
A large number of flights does not make the median approach the mean. That only happens if the distribution is of certain shapes, e.g., symmetric. The distribution here is asymmetric and skewed in the tails. It's essentially impossible for a flight to be vastly better than average, but there are definitely ways for it to be vastly worse than average (all the way down to, heaven forbid, fatal crashes). Most flights are okay, and okay amounts to avoiding any major things going wrong, most of which are fairly rare.

So yes, 50% of flights are below the median, but that median is a fairly uneventful flight. The mean is lower but still not terrible. OP's experience is not merely in the lower half but probably in the bottom 2% or so. Flying would be very different if we had anything like a 50% chance of a six-hour delay.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand, please.

Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Our flight from Boston to Miami was scheduled for departure at 12:52 PM (on February 15th). Due to an air flow issue on the aircraft, we had to wait for another aircraft to be brought in. We ended up departing Boston at 7:08 PM (over 6 hrs. later). We were located in first class and received a $12.00 meal voucher (there were 6 of us in our travel party). I feel like that is very small compensation considering the amount of time we were delayed and also considering first class received the same compensation as those not located in first class.

Secondly somehow the airline got my food order messed up and I had pre-ordered thefruit and cheese plate and this was not on record so I did not receive a meal on the flight. The stewardess did not ask me if I wanted anything else after this happened (including a beverage).

On our return flight (a few days ago), we had a connecting flight from Charlotte, NH back to Boston. This flight was delayed by almost 1.5 hrs. as something was wrong with this aircraft as well. We had been boarded onto the plane and then had to disembark as the issue was not resolved. Thankfully, another plane was available to fly us back home.

I have traveled with another airline in the past, been delayed an hour due to aircraft issues, not been in first class, and received a $50 voucher as an apology, along with a free onboard movie (all the customers did).

------------------------------------------------

AA's response to me:
"We try to run a seamless operation but sometimes we have delays like these. We always try and keep them to a minimum."
$12 is a reasonable voucher. Did *you* ask for a different meal on the flight when they told you they didn't have your pre-selection in the system?

I'm not sure what you really expect here. Mechanical delays happen on occassion.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Is that response at the bottom of your OP what AA sent you? I suppose if you email them back again with your disappointment they might throw a few hundred miles at you otherwise chalk it up as to what does and can happen on any given day.

Also stewardess hasn't been used in 30 years. It's 2018, not 1988 just an FYI.
According to Google, not necessarily.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...ENDANT%3B%2Cc0
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I had a 3.5hr delay last August for mx. Just as the nose started to lift, takeoff was aborted and back to the gate we went. Deplaned, waited, carried on. AA had auto-booked me onto the next available connection once in the air, and there was 10k miles dropped into my account before landing.

Delays are unfortunate, but much better than the alternative possibility.
Just curious but are you sure the nose had started to lift off because that would be above V1 speed which pretty much means don't abort the takeoff because you'll likely run out of runway before you stop?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Secondly somehow the airline got my food order messed up and I had pre-ordered thefruit and cheese plate and this was not on record so I did not receive a meal on the flight.
Possibly had something to do with the replacement of the aircraft. They could hardly keep food designed for a three hour flight on the ground for seven hours before starting the flight. My guess would be that they recatered the flight and the kitchen had already run out of fruit and cheese plates.

The stewardess did not ask me if I wanted anything else after this happened (including a beverage).
As in, "I'm sorry, sir, but there are no fruit and cheese plates on this flight," and she walked away? Did you ask for anything else?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by justhere
Just curious but are you sure the nose had started to lift off because that would be above V1 speed which pretty much means don't abort the takeoff because you'll likely run out of runway before you stop?
Yes, completely sure. It was a CR7 on a long runway. Pilot came on while heading back to the gate. “Well I apologize for this, but we got to take off speed and the number two engine threw an overspeed fault. We’re going to get maintenance on it and get you on to your destinations as soon as possible.” Well close to that anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.