Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Terrible Service (BOS-MIA 6 hr delay, no cheese & fruit plate, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible Service (BOS-MIA 6 hr delay, no cheese & fruit plate, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Terrible Service (BOS-MIA 6 hr delay, etc.)

Our flight from Boston to Miami was scheduled for departure at 12:52 PM (on February 15th). Due to an air flow issue on the aircraft, we had to wait for another aircraft to be brought in. We ended up departing Boston at 7:08 PM (over 6 hrs. later). We were located in first class and received a $12.00 meal voucher (there were 6 of us in our travel party). I feel like that is very small compensation considering the amount of time we were delayed and also considering first class received the same compensation as those not located in first class.

Secondly somehow the airline got my food order messed up and I had pre-ordered thefruit and cheese plate and this was not on record so I did not receive a meal on the flight. The stewardess did not ask me if I wanted anything else after this happened (including a beverage).

On our return flight (a few days ago), we had a connecting flight from Charlotte, NH back to Boston. This flight was delayed by almost 1.5 hrs. as something was wrong with this aircraft as well. We had been boarded onto the plane and then had to disembark as the issue was not resolved. Thankfully, another plane was available to fly us back home.

I have traveled with another airline in the past, been delayed an hour due to aircraft issues, not been in first class, and received a $50 voucher as an apology, along with a free onboard movie (all the customers did).

------------------------------------------------

AA's response to me:
"We try to run a seamless operation but sometimes we have delays like these. We always try and keep them to a minimum."

Last edited by bleuorchid21; Feb 28, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bleuorchid21
Our flight from Boston to Miami was scheduled for departure at 12:52 PM (on February 15th). Due to an air flow issue on the aircraft, we had to wait for another aircraft to be brought in. We ended up departing Boston at 7:08 PM (over 6 hrs. later). We were located in first class and received a $12.00 meal voucher (there were 6 of us in our travel party). I feel like that is very small compensation considering the amount of time we were delayed and also considering first class received the same compensation as those not located in first class.

Secondly somehow the airline got my food order messed up and I had pre-ordered thefruit and cheese plate and this was not on record so I did not receive a meal on the flight. The stewardess did not ask me if I wanted anything else after this happened (including a beverage).

On our return flight (a few days ago), we had a connecting flight from Charlotte, NH back to Boston. This flight was delayed by almost 1.5 hrs. as something was wrong with this aircraft as well. We had been boarded onto the plane and then had to disembark as the issue was not resolved. Thankfully, another plane was available to fly us back home.

I have traveled with another airline in the past, been delayed an hour due to aircraft issues, not been in first class, and received a $50 voucher as an apology, along with a free onboard movie (all the customers did).

------------------------------------------------

AA's response to me:
"We try to run a seamless operation but sometimes we have delays like these. We always try and keep them to a minimum."
What are you seeking?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
What exactly were you expecting!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:34 am

Stewardess?
Fraser, bosman, AAway and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

More than just a generic apology for them I guess. Like I said, I've been on other airlines where issues occurred due to the airline and those airlines did a lot more as an apology (those flights were not delayed nearly as long). And yes, flight stewardess/flight attendant.
danbrew likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bleuorchid21
More than just a generic apology for them I guess. Like I said, I've been on other airlines where issues occurred due to the airline and those airlines did a lot more as an apology (those flights were not delayed nearly as long). And yes, flight stewardess/flight attendant.
Is that response at the bottom of your OP what AA sent you? I suppose if you email them back again with your disappointment they might throw a few hundred miles at you otherwise chalk it up as to what does and can happen on any given day.

Also stewardess hasn't been used in 30 years. It's 2018, not 1988 just an FYI.
swingaling likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by enviroian
Is that response at the bottom of your OP what AA sent you? I suppose if you email them back again with your disappointment they might throw a few hundred miles at you otherwise chalk it up as to what does and can happen on any given day.

Also stewardess hasn't been used in 30 years. It's 2018, not 1988 just an FYI.
Air Hostess?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Air Hostess?
"The lady on the plane" - George Carlin
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:14 am

Would suggest a tweet to AA, simply documenting the frustration with a 6-hour mechanical delay (might want to leave out the part about your meal order not being available or any other superfluous info). You can state that you were a party of six on paid first-class tickets, and you believe that a $12 meal voucher is unacceptable and request additional compensation (a voucher/refund/miles... whatever you really want). Likely outcome is that you get a handful of AAdvantage miles for your troubles, but better than nothing since in AA's mind, they fulfilled their obligation of getting you from point A to B.
roadtriper likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
$12 meal voucher seems pretty reasonable. A lot of times they will bring food to the gate - did they do that? Mechanically delays while frustrating are a part of air travel and happen with every airline. I'd rather wait 6 hours to fly safely than risk it.

One thing to point out, the fact that you were in first class doesn't mean anything with regards to your meal voucher.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - When you say that you were not offered an alternative meal or a drink, the question is what you did about it on the spot. Did you ask for something else? Did you ask for a drink when you were thirsty? Did the flight attendant (that's what they have been called for the past 35 years) respond when you pushed your call button?
arollins likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:13 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Recollecting posts from "years ago", AA was routinely giving pax miles WITHOUT their asking for them, when long delays occurred--even when AA was in the red!
On a recent flt in FC, one meal choice (by special order only) was the cheese and fruit plate, which was the same as the $8.50 item sold in Y--apparently AA values FC meals at < $9, so the $12 meal voucher was a substantial upgrade.
arollins and roadtriper like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - When you say that you were not offered an alternative meal or a drink, the question is what you did about it on the spot. Did you ask for something else? Did you ask for a drink when you were thirsty? Did the flight attendant (that's what they have been called for the past 35 years) respond when you pushed your call button?
I'd like to know as well. If your "pre-ordered" meal did not get into the system, that does not mean that a meal for your first-class ticket was not catered onto the aircraft.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
BOS to that part of the world is better served by Jet blue. Lots of non-stops BOS to FLL or PBI. That would be my first choice over any AA product in those markets. I did not see a Mint option, but if it left on time and the cheese plate came as ordered you might be a lot happier.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
Recollecting posts from "years ago", AA was routinely giving pax miles WITHOUT their asking for them, when long delays occurred--even when AA was in the red!
On a recent flt in FC, one meal choice (by special order only) was the cheese and fruit plate, which was the same as the $8.50 item sold in Y--apparently AA values FC meals at < $9, so the $12 meal voucher was a substantial upgrade.
like 18 months ago.

i would complain again. Look at the compensation thread in this forum. I would think 5k miles each might be right or it might be low, the thread should give you some data points(I got 10k miles for a similar delay in 2016, as an EXP in coach).

The $12 voucher might be disappointing, but it’s the delay that’s the issue, the size if the meal voucher is inflexible.

surprised people are talking about “a few miles” unless they mean 5k each is a few.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.