Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any idea when AA's original long haul jets fly out of former US hubs, vice versa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any idea when AA's original long haul jets fly out of former US hubs, vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

I have yet to see an A330 at DFW, MIA etc or a 777 and 787 at CLT, PHL (I doubt that they would send them to PHX, definitely not DCA for obvious reasons)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by a330boston
I have yet to see an A330 at DFW, MIA etc or a 777 and 787 at CLT, PHL (I doubt that they would send them to PHX, definitely not DCA for obvious reasons)
I've seen the 330's at sky harbor. I believe they are used on certain PHL flights.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
I've seen the 330's at sky harbor. I believe they are used on certain PHL flights.
PHX was a LUS hub though. There is a A333 between PHX and HNL now.

I think the OP means when will LUS widebody metal be at LAA hubs and vice versa.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:01 pm

It's happened. There was a LUS flight operating from ORD a few years ago (ZRH?).
However, there are efficiencies in keeping aircraft types based in the same city - crew & maintenance bases, for instance. So unless demand has changed significantly at certain hubs, there probably won't be a lot of cross-fleeting for the widebody fleets.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
LAA 767 will fly some TATL routes out of PHL this summer.

Last edited by Austin787; Feb 19, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA
AA has shuffled the A330s out of PHL to several different routes since the merger. PHL-ORD was run for a while, followed by PHL-BOS and now PHL-SFO and PHL-LAX. Based on the flight timings I presume they were to fill the Transatlantic bank out of PHL. ORD and BOS were probably just too short and SFO and LAX make more sense because of distance and premium traffic. I've also seen PHL-MIA, but now that the 767s are operating out of PHL, they've taken over this route.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cedric
It's happened. There was a LUS flight operating from ORD a few years ago (ZRH?).
However, there are efficiencies in keeping aircraft types based in the same city - crew & maintenance bases, for instance. So unless demand has changed significantly at certain hubs, there probably won't be a lot of cross-fleeting for the widebody fleets.
But then in the case of DL, we can clearly see many 767's, 777's at former NW hubs and A330's at original DL hubs.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
But then in the case of DL, we can clearly see many 767's, 777's at former NW hubs and A330's at original DL hubs.
I believe DL integrated crews a while back now. AA/US have not.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
I believe DL integrated crews a while back now. AA/US have not.
Any idea when its going to take place? Just wondering.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cedric
The LUS 332 operated ORD-DUB a summer or two ago--not sure if it's coming back. The LAA 763 will be operating several TATL routes from PHL this summer, replacing LUS 752s on some (AMS, LIS) and enabling other new routes (PRG, BUD).
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
The LUS 332 operated ORD-DUB a summer or two ago--not sure if it's coming back. The LAA 763 will be operating several TATL routes from PHL this summer, replacing LUS 752s on some (AMS, LIS) and enabling other new routes (PRG, BUD).
The AMS route hasn't seen LUS equipment for a while now, it was the first route to go (LAA) 75L.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Definitely advantages on the maintenance and crew side of keeping LUS widebody aircraft focused on LUS hubs. There are reserve A330 pilots and FA's in CLT/PHL and no need to pay crews to deadhead to another city to start their trips. Planners need to be very careful with trip planning to super minimize the risk of a crew timeout. For example, an A330 crew sick/timeout at DFW probably means they have to fly a crew from CLT or PHL to DFW to pick up the flight.

The 767's out of PHL are easier to deal with since there is a LAA 767 crew base in NYC.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:36 pm

But if you fly DTW/MSP to AMS you're gonna be in a ex-NW A330 pretty much every time so there still is some legacy hub association with equipment going on. And of course one should keep in mind that Delta and NW merged several years before AA and US did.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
AA flew a 332 on their ORD-DUB sevice two summers ago. But that has been the only LAA hub to have seen a LUS widebody. However, starting at the end of next month, AA will start flying 763s TATL out of PHL. With ZRH, AMS, LIS, PRG, and BUD to be serviced by them.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
But if you fly DTW/MSP to AMS you're gonna be in a ex-NW A330 pretty much every time so there still is some legacy hub association with equipment going on. And of course one should keep in mind that Delta and NW merged several years before AA and US did.
There are Delta 330s out of ATL. There are and have been 777s and 77Ls out of DTW.

People here are just rationalizing why AA hasn't gotten around to it yet. There's nothing that makes pre-merger hub assignments optimal as the AA network continues to evolve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.