Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA iSolve F/A Onboard Miles Compensation as of Feb 2018 (restricted 8 Jun 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ISolve is an app solution available to Flight Attendants on their tablets to grant AAdvantage miles to passengers as on the spot compensation for service deficiencies. The intent is to provide limited compensation to individuals, not incidents that affect all or numbers of passengers, such as cabin temperature issues, delays, etc. Broken seats, non-working IFE, front cabin meal issues, etc. will be compensable on the spot. (Power issues will generally not.)

Effective Monday 8 June 2020 American Airlines has taken away the tool airports, flight attendants, and reservations used to compensate customers when a crew member spills a drink on them, their seat is broken, or their inflight meal didn’t get loaded onto the aircraft.” This will continue throughout 2020. link to Gary Leff article.

Link to “American Airlines Flight Attendants Will Start Offering Onboard Compensation This Month” by Gary Leff, The Boarding Area, 11 Jan 2018

Link to “American Airlines Tells Flight Attendants Not to Hand Out Too Much Compensation” by Gary Leff on July 17, 2018

Print Wikipost

AA iSolve F/A Onboard Miles Compensation as of Feb 2018 (restricted 8 Jun 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:18 am

Cannot come too sooon. IFE non op on SFO to PHL to DUB in business class. Solution? Move customers to economy / premium economy (which they call business class on board haha).

Nothing else except to write in. Don’t expect much.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Didn't United used to do this? If you pointed out a bad seat, headphone jack, etc., they would then give you a cert that you could submit for miles.

I hope that the hardware issues are actually logged and fixed.
Correct. In December I had an AVOD issue and FA came around with an i-pad and I was offered a choice of compensation, which was processed on the spot.
Credit showed up within 48 hrs in my account. Pretty cool!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Does having to use that tiny bathroom on the 737-MAX 8 qualify for on-board compensation?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:18 pm

I know it’s not going to happen, but imagine if those compensation miles go towards EQM. Lol
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:39 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I, personally, as a customer, do not like this approach. Shows that AA would rather throw "apology" miles than really putting in effort to maintain or improve the travel experience. All about the money than truly going for great.

This commercial by AS hits it home...

beachfan and diver858 like this.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jan 13, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I, personally, as a customer, do not like this approach. Shows that AA would rather throw "apology" miles than really putting in effort to maintain or improve the travel experience. All about the money than truly going for great.

This commercial by AS hits it home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b1hSw_bxxY
AA isn’t on the path to getting things right the first time or even close to it. At least get some miles while they continue to focus on cost cuts, and D0.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
As a consumer, I never thought AAdvantage miles as compensation is a best deal. Will receiving AAdvantage miles on spot during the flight be considered as case closed and resolved as far as AA is concerned? Often it is better to give time to think about the situation. Get off the flight and give a day or two to think about the situation to rationalize exactly how minor or how serious the situation was. Giving AAdvantage miles on spot during the flight will not give a chance for passengers to think about the whole situation, won’t have time to think if miles given was fair or not.
Which is exactly what AA is hoping for. A few miles now vs a pax who has had time to stew about whatever the problem was.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess, there is always the option to refuse the compensation, get the name of the FA and take the issue up with CS.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Correct. In December I had an AVOD issue and FA came around with an i-pad and I was offered a choice of compensation, which was processed on the spot.
Credit showed up within 48 hrs in my account. Pretty cool!
How much? Which route? Which class?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
How could such a policy go forward without being blessed by the quants? Surely they have modeled the costs vs. benefits, and their computer models tell them the benefits (to AA) win.

Not to be cynical, but how do the FAs view this? Is it empowering or burdensome? Is there some kind of performance metric to hold FAs accountable? It would be interesting to hear about the viewpoint of folks in the trenches, in the front lines, as it were.
It's easy to believe the numbers in the model are inaccurate depending on your experience with Operations.
For example, if the maintenance record says that IFE breaks down once every 200 days and stays broken for a 3 days before it can be fixed, your cost of compensation is X.
If you have reason to suspect it's actually more like every 190 days and it takes 10 days before someone complains in a format that's actually recorded and acted on, that 3 day time to repair is actually closer to 2 weeks, with 4x as many passengers getting compensation for the same failure as the model.

Or if the model thinks that FAs will be issuing a credit once per flight based on complaint records, but you suspect they'll be browbeaten into giving it to 4 grumpy passengers per flight.

Or that 25% of in flight compensation offers will turn in to letters to Customer Relations about the measly miles offering they received, which the quants claim won't happen.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Danwriter
Which is exactly what AA is hoping for. A few miles now vs a pax who has had time to stew about whatever the problem was.
PRECISELY - disgruntled passenger will have to find something else to complain about on social media after the flight, possibly say something nice about AA after receiving compensation.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed - a problem occurs that is within the crew's remit to compensate; the crew member provides compensation there and then

no need for the person to have to decide to make a claim or just leave feeling dissatisfied

Get some compensation straight away and person hopefully happy ; great way of handling small common clearly defined issues ( such as IFE not working , seat recline broken etc )
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I had a non functioning WiFi on a 2 class 321 (in coach), without requesting, the FA said “let me give you 10,000 miles as compensation”. I thought that was generous and said thank you.

Today, had a wonky WiFi and dead IFE. Eventually went up and asked about miles. The FA (truly nice and trying hard) said you have to see a gate agent when we land for that. I explained, no they can’t do it but you can). She asked her co FA, he never heard about it either. But he decided to look in their e-pad (whatever the thing they use to charge for food) and saw I solve and opened it up. Allowed me to look over his shoulder.

i could see four categories: IFE, seat, cabin comfort, catering (at least that’s what I recall).

Clicked on IFE and saw broke IFE was 4K points. We looked through the others - no category for WiFi , so I wonder how I got it previously.

I didnt quite see it, but he said broken seat was also 4K. It would be nice to build a list of all the pre filled out ones.

input this in here instead of the compensation thread as I thought the description of the system fit better here.
JDiver and apeortdz like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by beachfan
I had a non functioning WiFi on a 2 class 321 (in coach), without requesting, the FA said “let me give you 10,000 miles as compensation”. I thought that was generous and said thank you.

Today, had a wonky WiFi and dead IFE. Eventually went up and asked about miles. The FA (truly nice and trying hard) said you have to see a gate agent when we land for that. I explained, no they can’t do it but you can). She asked her co FA, he never heard about it either. But he decided to look in their e-pad (whatever the thing they use to charge for food) and saw I solve and opened it up. Allowed me to look over his shoulder.

i could see four categories: IFE, seat, cabin comfort, catering (at least that’s what I recall).

Clicked on IFE and saw broke IFE was 4K points. We looked through the others - no category for WiFi , so I wonder how I got it previously.

I didnt quite see it, but he said broken seat was also 4K. It would be nice to build a list of all the pre filled out ones.

input this in here instead of the compensation thread as I thought the description of the system fit better here.
Not sure that they can do anything on wonky wifi as that is most likely a 3rd party provider (i.e. Gogo). I just had an issue with them - bad wifi on a DFW-LAX flight. Managed to use the chat feature in Gogo and reported the issue. After several attempts to fix, I was given codes for two all flight passes (they couldn't refund the one that was wonky so they gave me one as a make-up and one as a goodwill gesture).
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It sounds as if the CBT system isn’t working. There’s no reason every FA shouldn’t be up to snuff on this, much less that a passenger should be the one to bring this option to their attention.

At my old aero club, we had a PIF - Pilot Information File - we needed to review for new information, policies, etc. and sign we had read. We couldn’t fly until we proofed the PIF. Old school, but it worked...

beachfan, thank you for taking the time to educate these out of touch cabin crew members.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 15, 2019 at 9:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.