FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA iSolve F/A Onboard Miles Compensation as of Feb 2018 (restricted 8 Jun 2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1887704-aa-isolve-f-onboard-miles-compensation-feb-2018-restricted-8-jun-2020-a.html)

JDiver Jan 11, 2018 8:57 am

AA iSolve F/A Onboard Miles Compensation as of Feb 2018 (restricted 8 Jun 2020)

Gary Leff announces that, in addition to AA FAs beginning de-escalation training this year to deal more effectively with onboard incidents involving upset passengers, new software on their tablets, ISolve, will be installed to let them address compensable incidents like broken seats or non-working IFE on the spot.

The new software will allow flight attendants to offer on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight — that is if the passenger in question is enrolled in AA’s frequent traveler program.

Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. Link to Gary Leff, The Boarding Area, 11 Jan 2018

mvoight Jan 11, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 29279293)
Gary Leff announces that, in addition to AA FAs beginning de-escalation training this year to deal more effectively with onboard incidents involving upset passengers, new software on their tablets, ISolve, will be installed to let them address compensable incidents like broken seats or non-working IFE on the spot.

How much compensation? :)

Antarius Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am

I like this.

fotographer Jan 11, 2018 10:06 am

lets see what passengers start to complain about, shall we?

OskiBear Jan 11, 2018 10:33 am

Didn't United used to do this? If you pointed out a bad seat, headphone jack, etc., they would then give you a cert that you could submit for miles.

I hope that the hardware issues are actually logged and fixed.

sluggoaafa Jan 11, 2018 11:04 am

Don't get your hopes up too high. They'll be preset with compensation amounts based upon item being disputed, length of flight, and cabin of service, so the FA can't just give away 'X' amount to you just because you didn't get your choice of food (Pre-orders are GREAT), cabin temperature too hot or too cold, or didn't like the video you watched on your personal device was too graphic.

again, miles will be preset per the item being complained about, length of flight, and your cabin of service you are sitting in.

Antarius Jan 11, 2018 11:09 am

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa (Post 29279845)
Don't get your hopes up too high. They'll be preset with compensation amounts based upon item being disputed, length of flight, and cabin of service, so the FA can't just give away 'X' amount to you just because you didn't get your choice of food (Pre-orders are GREAT), cabin temperature too hot or too cold, or didn't like the video you watched on your personal device was too graphic.

again, miles will be preset per the item being complained about, length of flight, and your cabin of service you are sitting in.

Sure.. but that's fine. Something small and on -the-spot can go a long way towards assuaging a passenger or deescalating unhappiness.

Dave Noble Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am

Which seems to translate to giving a consistent approach to compensation

Antarius Jan 11, 2018 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 29279932)
Which seems to translate to giving a consistent approach to compensation

You mean you weren't looking forward to the in-flight compensation shenanigans thread? :D

3Cforme Jan 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 29279575)
lets see what passengers start to complain about, shall we?

Here's a thread from four years again with 15K miles on Delta for non-working IFE. AA solves that by pulling out AVOD.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...l#post21400811

AndyAA Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm

So how much would I have to complain before I get enough miles for a seat in J on QF 7 / QF 8?

AlwaysAisle Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm

As a consumer, I never thought AAdvantage miles as compensation is a best deal. Will receiving AAdvantage miles on spot during the flight be considered as case closed and resolved as far as AA is concerned? Often it is better to give time to think about the situation. Get off the flight and give a day or two to think about the situation to rationalize exactly how minor or how serious the situation was. Giving AAdvantage miles on spot during the flight will not give a chance for passengers to think about the whole situation, won’t have time to think if miles given was fair or not.

Analyst59 Jan 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Exactly. I just retired from AA HDQ a few weeks ago and my group was involved with this initiative. The goal is not only to be more responsive but to reduce the volume of formal complaints being submitted to customer relations and they prefer to avoid issuing vouchers when possible. They think it will save money but I expect it will cost them more in the end as not everyone wants to bother with submitting a formal complaint to CR and the F/As will likely comp anyone they are able to comp. Agents should have the Isolve tool as well if they aren't using it already.

pmblinn Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Hope they provision extra batteries for the tablets.

zippy the pinhead Jan 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Analyst59 (Post 29281210)
Exactly. I just retired from AA HDQ a few weeks ago and my group was involved with this initiative. The goal is not only to be more responsive but to reduce the volume of formal complaints being submitted to customer relations and they prefer to avoid issuing vouchers when possible. They think it will save money but I expect it will cost them more in the end as not everyone wants to bother with submitting a formal complaint to CR and the F/As will likely comp anyone they are able to comp. Agents should have the Isolve tool as well if they aren't using it already.

How could such a policy go forward without being blessed by the quants? Surely they have modeled the costs vs. benefits, and their computer models tell them the benefits (to AA) win.

Not to be cynical, but how do the FAs view this? Is it empowering or burdensome? Is there some kind of performance metric to hold FAs accountable? It would be interesting to hear about the viewpoint of folks in the trenches, in the front lines, as it were.