Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolcoil
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2018)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
    • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
      • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
        • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.

Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)
=================end mod note===================

The kduarte Lounge Access tool page is unavailable

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."
Important Note: Though this announcement excluded Northern South America and Central America, those travelling to or from those destinations in J/F or whom hold OWE or OWS, including AA elites, do indeed have access to the Flagship Lounge. See the link below for Flagship Lounge access rules for details.

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/7.0MM
Question Denied guests at Qantas F lounge in LAX

Ran into a problem at the Qantas F lounge in LAX 2 weeks ago. Wife and I are both EXP and traveling LAX-LHR in J. We had offered to guest in a FT couple that were leaving LAX on a domestic flight.
About 3:30 PM we tried to enter the Qantas club and our guests were denied. The reason given was that the rules required that the guests be on the same flights as the sponsors. When I inquired further, it was stated that the rule had been in place for about 3 months.
I had not heard of this requirement and the text on the Qantas site says "One guest allowed and must be travelling on a oneworld operated and marketed flight.#~". Our guests were on a oneworld (AA) flight, just not our flight. The lounge was fairly quiet so I don't think the over-crowding exception came into play.
We went to the FL and had no problems gaining entry.

Is this a new rule?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
No, it's the staff who are misinformed.

There is a Qantas rule for partners (Jetstar, Emirates) that requires same flight.

The guesting should have been available under oneworld rules.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by serfty
No, it's the staff who are misinformed.

There is a Qantas rule for partners (Jetstar, Emirates) that requires same flight.

The guesting should have been available under oneworld rules.
Sigh, has there been a change of staff at QF LAX again? Every year it seems that the staff needs re-education...

Also you mentioned a few times up thread that now it's required that you have the same status on your BP. Is that true now? I usually leave my AA EXP# for domestic upgrades and use my BA silver to enter (giving the # separately). However, I stopped doing that ever since Flagship opened.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas require that Qantas PAX using Qantas status to access a Qantas lounge before a Qantas flight need to be crediting Frequent Flyer earn for the relevant flight to their Qantas membership.

There is no such requirement for oneworld elites.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Apologies for the basic question, but I can't seem to find the link to purchase a day pass on AA's website. Are they purchased on the spot at the club? In other information I read one must present the day pass print out and valid ID, but if you can't purchase in advance there would be no print out. Thanks for the clarifying help!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Apologies for the basic question, but I can't seem to find the link to purchase a day pass on AA's website. Are they purchased on the spot at the club? In other information I read one must present the day pass print out and valid ID, but if you can't purchase in advance there would be no print out. Thanks for the clarifying help!
Due to the ongoing renovations at many clubs, the availability of AC day passes varies (i.e., might not be available). If they are available at the first club you go to, you can purchase them on the spot as you enter from the front desk.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:29 am

Flying HKG-LAX-PHL on a J award. AA.com notes that non-revenue pax aren't eligible for class-based lounge access. Is this enforced? I'd like to use one of the admirals clubs at LAX.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by zhangg
Flying HKG-LAX-PHL on a J award. AA.com notes that non-revenue pax aren't eligible for class-based lounge access. Is this enforced? I'd like to use one of the admirals clubs at LAX.
You'll be fine. Non-revenue refers to staff or friends flying on airline internal tickets. Award tickets count as "revenue".

You'll have access to a number of J lounges in HKG prior to your departure, then in LAX, you'll have access to both the AA Flagship Lounge in T4 and the OW Business Lounge in the TBIT while connecting to your PHL flight (as long as it's on the same day, or prior to 6:00 AM next morning from landing in LAX).
zhangg likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Good afternoon/evening. We fly on Saturday on a J award ticket in Business Class from Chicago O'hare to London on flight 86. I believe this class of ticket will allow my wife and I access to the Flagship Lounge (not Admiral's Club), correct? Where I'm confused is if we'll be able to guest our two friends into the Flagship Lounge, who are on the same flight but not in Business.

We can definitely guest them in to Admirals Club before our flight, but I'm curious if we can also have them join us in the Flagship Lounge. Anyone have solid advice/answers? Thank you!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SNNtraveler
Good afternoon/evening. We fly on Saturday on a J award ticket in Business Class from Chicago O'hare to London on flight 86. I believe this class of ticket will allow my wife and I access to the Flagship Lounge (not Admiral's Club), correct? Where I'm confused is if we'll be able to guest our two friends into the Flagship Lounge, who are on the same flight but not in Business.

We can definitely guest them in to Admirals Club before our flight, but I'm curious if we can also have them join us in the Flagship Lounge. Anyone have solid advice/answers? Thank you!
EDIT - looks like I spoke too soon/didn't know the rules too well. (or assumed everyone has EXP/oneworld Emerald/Sapphire level status)
I didn't realise that non status J customers cannot guest folks in.

Last edited by henhen; Apr 9, 2018 at 3:24 pm Reason: wrong information initially
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:20 pm

Based off of just a qualifying Int'l travel in J, you will not have any guesting privileges to either the Flagship Lounge or the AC. Now, if you have an AC membership, you could guest your friends into the AC.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Originally Posted by henhen
You are able to guest someone in if they're flying on oneworld as well ,which looks like the case for your group.
Enjoy the lounge, the Chicago Flagship is very nice and new
Business class alone on ORD-LHR does not allow any guest privileges to either the AC or FL. So if you don't have oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status, or an AC membership, you will not be able to bring any guests.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Based off of just a qualifying Int'l travel in J, you will not have any guesting privileges to either the Flagship Lounge or the AC. Now, if you have an AC membership, you could guest your friends into the AC.
Thank you teemuflyer, henhen, and JJeffrey -- I've received conflicting feedback with AA on the phone regarding this and I think I'm receiving conflicting thoughts from the three of you as well. I was told on the phone that since the flight we're on doesn't have "First" class and is only two classes, we would be able to guest our friends into Flagship Lounge. But I was also told by someone else that since we're not International First, we cannot guest.

Regarding Admirals Club, we do have membership so guesting is not a concern there. We were just really hoping to guest them to Flagship for a little nicer food before the flight. Maybe we'll just ask and see when we arrive. We'll be doing Admirals Club regardless.

Last edited by SNNtraveler; Apr 9, 2018 at 3:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by henhen
EDIT - looks like I spoke too soon/didn't know the rules too well. (or assumed everyone has EXP/oneworld Emerald/Sapphire level status)
I didn't realise that non status J customers cannot guest folks in.
Thank you teemuflyer, henhen, and JJeffrey -- I've received conflicting feedback with AA on the phone regarding this and I think I'm receiving conflicting thoughts from the three of you as well. I was told on the phone that since the flight we're on doesn't have "First" class and is only two classes, we would be able to guest our friends into Flagship Lounge. But I was also told by someone else that since we're not International First, we cannot guest.

Regarding Admirals Club, we do have membership so guesting is not a concern there. We were just really hoping to guest them to Flagship for a little nicer food before the flight. Maybe we'll just ask and see when we arrive. We'll be doing Admirals Club regardless.
yeah sorry, i spoke too soon on my initial response, edited above.
basically comes down to status. If have status, then able to guest, otherwise no guest if flying Business.
Henry
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Not surprisingly the answers you received from the AA phone reps are incorrect (most reservations AAgents would have no clue or training about lounge access policies). The fact that your flight doesn't offer true 3-class F has no bearing on lounge access. As you said, there's no harm in asking when you get there, but I would fully expect to spend your time in the AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.