Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:46 pm

My fiancee and I are looking to book our honeymoon travel from NYC to Tokyo using AA miles, flying business class either JAL or Cathay Pacific. However, after speaking on the phone with an AA rep, we were informed that there aren't any Awards-eligible business class seats available, that they tend to be released in small amounts every few days, and that we'd need to call the airline daily to ask if seats are available. Is there any way that we can set alerts for when Awards-eligible fares become available? I checked out ExpertFlyer on the recommendation from The Points Guy and it didn't seem to be providing good data on this route. Any other helpful resources would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by witw
My fiancee and I are looking to book our honeymoon travel from NYC to Tokyo using AA miles, flying business class either JAL or Cathay Pacific. However, after speaking on the phone with an AA rep, we were informed that there aren't any business class seats available, that they tend to be released in small amounts every few days, and that we'd need to call the airline daily to ask if seats are available. Is there any way that we can set alerts for when Awards-eligible fares become available? I checked out ExpertFlyer on the recommendation from The Points Guy and it didn't seem to be providing good data on this route. Any other helpful resources would be appreciated as well.
When do you want to travel?
What flexibility on date & route?

AA.com shows only a fraction of all the airlines you can use AA miles for. Award Nexus will show almost all of them (excepting a couple non-oneworld partners). If you find availability on Award Nexus, you have to call AA on the phone to book it.

Look at these FT AA threads.
witw's other thread (has different information)---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...-oneworld.html
For long haul premium awards you cannot be choosy: just take what is available when you see it. It may/will be gone tomorrow

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 26, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When do you want to travel?
What flexibility on date & route?
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. As for your questions, we're hoping to fly around March 15 -> March 30, and are flexible on dates. We're also flexible on route to the extent that we're OK with connections, and aren't particular on which NYC/Tokyo metro airport. Although we're actually hoping to fly back from Osaka rather than Tokyo.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posting again in hopes of an answer: Where do I find on my AA account how close I am to the 12,500 miles needed to earn four 500 mile upgrades? I cannot seem to find this on my account (although I can easily see how many I currently have). Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by witw
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. As for your questions, we're hoping to fly around March 15 -> March 30, and are flexible on dates. We're also flexible on route to the extent that we're OK with connections, and aren't particular on which NYC/Tokyo metro airport. Although we're actually hoping to fly back from Osaka rather than Tokyo.
Your best bet will be JL. CX is not really a great option, unless you are willing to spend significantly more miles, since you will be routing through HKG and backtracking from Asia 2 to Asia 1.

With JL, obviously the best option for you are the JFK flights, but I would also look at BOS, ORD, LAX, DFW, and SFO as possible connections. YVR and SAN are also options and will likely be easiest to find availability, but the business class seat on those flights are angled flat. There will also be the issue of finding availability on AA to get to these other gateways, although if you are willing to be an economy for the domestic connection, that might be easier.

I would use BA’s award search engine to search for JL space and then call AA. AA agents were never great about finding more creative routings, and I think they’ve gotten even worse lately. It’s good that you are flexible in dates; that will help tremendously. Although keep in mind that end of March/beginning of April is peak Sakura season.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

With JL, obviously the best option for you are the JFK flights, but I would also look at BOS, ORD, LAX, DFW, and SFO as possible connections. YVR and SAN are also options and will likely be easiest to find availability, but the business class seat on those flights are angled flat. There will also be the issue of finding availability on AA to get to these other gateways, although if you are willing to be an economy for the domestic connection, that might be easier.
As of April 1 2019, SAN-NRT will be serviced by a 787 with Sky Suite III lie flat seats.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

As of April 1 2019, SAN-NRT will be serviced by a 787 with Sky Suite III lie flat seats.
Yes, that is correct. YVR is also supposed to get SS3 at some time in 2019, I believe. Neither will help the OP in this situation since they are looking to travel in March (although if they are returning on or after 1 April then SAN would be a lie-flat option). Finally, I forgot about NRT-SEA, which is starting March 31.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iris30
Posting again in hopes of an answer: Where do I find on my AA account how close I am to the 12,500 miles needed to earn four 500 mile upgrades? I cannot seem to find this on my account (although I can easily see how many I currently have). Thanks!
It took a few calls and a bit of time on hold with AA but to answer my own question, under "wallet", it shows the EQM needed in order to earn 4 more upgrades.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, DE
Brand New-bie Here

Hello All
I tried booking my first award tickets today. I am a once-a-year vacation traveler with 115K AA miles, and no status. I want two J seats @ 57.5K miles from RDU to VCE. One option was Business Class seats from RDU to MIA on AA, then Economy on the other segments on Iberia to MAD and VCE.

The next option was Business Class on AA and BA, connecting in LHR, but with $1200 in taxes and fees.

In your collective experiences is there a chance two J seats will come available on IB for the International leg from MIA to MAD at a later date, or should I try something else? My flexible dates are October 20-24, 2019.

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tamtalb Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by tamtalb
I tried booking my first award tickets today. I am a once-a-year vacation traveler with 115K AA miles, and no status. I want two J seats @ 57.5K miles from RDU to VCE. One option was Business Class seats from RDU to MIA on AA, then Economy on the other segments on Iberia to MAD and VCE.

The next option was Business Class on AA and BA, connecting in LHR, but with $1200 in taxes and fees.

In your collective experiences is there a chance two J seats will come available on IB for the International leg from MIA to MAD at a later date, or should I try something else? My flexible dates are October 20-24, 2019..
What you experienced is normal. 2 business class awards can be hard to get.
Keep looking. Look at other Eu cities and train to VCE

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

BA IB----> Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:07 pm

Im planning a trip to Bangkok in early February of next year, im an ex plat on AA. I was hoping to book the trip with award miles, however im running into a bit of a block, as there doesnt seem to be any award seats available currently.

I was attempting to go DFW-HKG-BKK or DFW-NRT-BKK, but the problem seems to be there being no award seats for the last leg of the trip. If I wait and keep checking, do you think theres a better chance of seats "opening up," or should I take what i can find now?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by MoofuJJ
Im planning a trip to Bangkok in early February of next year, im an ex plat on AA. I was hoping to book the trip with award miles, however im running into a bit of a block, as there doesnt seem to be any award seats available currently.

I was attempting to go DFW-HKG-BKK or DFW-NRT-BKK, but the problem seems to be there being no award seats for the last leg of the trip. If I wait and keep checking, do you think theres a better chance of seats "opening up," or should I take what i can find now?
CX award space for flights within Asia has been scarce lately. JL might be your better shot—although you might have to do a ground transfer between NRT and HND. Also keep in mind two stop options, such as DFW-SFO-HND-BKK.

Since you’re EXP and can change awards without worrying about fees, I would book something now if it’s available and change it later if something better comes along.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tamtalb
Hello All

In your collective experiences is there a chance two J seats will come available on IB for the International leg from MIA to MAD at a later date, or should I try something else? My flexible dates are October 20-24, 2019.

Thank you in advance.
Those are both terrible options . Oct 2019 is still eons away in the airline world, it's highly likely better options will open up over the next 11 months. Especially since you can be flexible on dates and can fly midweek. Your dates are just inside the 330 day booking window too, and not all seats are released right at that point.

Late October isn't exactly a busy travel period to Europe either, so I would just keep an eye on it. If it were me, I'd book something decent in economy just to get seats nailed down, then keep looking for business space, as you can change for no fee. It might not open up till next summer or even September or a few weeks before, but given your flexibility in dates you shouldn't have any trouble.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Mile run

Hi - first time posting here, so figured this would be a "safe space" to do so. I need to do a mile run on AA for about 10,000 EQMs. Any suggestions for good sites to try to find cheap deals?

Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ncroc007
Hi - first time posting here, so figured this would be a "safe space" to do so. I need to do a mile run on AA for about 10,000 EQMs. Any suggestions for good sites to try to find cheap deals?

Thanks
Welcome to FlyerTalk ncroc007!!

Where are you coming from, and where would you like to go, when, and spend?

We have a dedicated Mileage Run forum here on FlyerTalk where you can get some ideas:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

And there's a thread over there dedicated for questions like this:
AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.