FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:06 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by witw
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. As for your questions, we're hoping to fly around March 15 -> March 30, and are flexible on dates. We're also flexible on route to the extent that we're OK with connections, and aren't particular on which NYC/Tokyo metro airport. Although we're actually hoping to fly back from Osaka rather than Tokyo.
Your best bet will be JL. CX is not really a great option, unless you are willing to spend significantly more miles, since you will be routing through HKG and backtracking from Asia 2 to Asia 1.

With JL, obviously the best option for you are the JFK flights, but I would also look at BOS, ORD, LAX, DFW, and SFO as possible connections. YVR and SAN are also options and will likely be easiest to find availability, but the business class seat on those flights are angled flat. There will also be the issue of finding availability on AA to get to these other gateways, although if you are willing to be an economy for the domestic connection, that might be easier.

I would use BA’s award search engine to search for JL space and then call AA. AA agents were never great about finding more creative routings, and I think they’ve gotten even worse lately. It’s good that you are flexible in dates; that will help tremendously. Although keep in mind that end of March/beginning of April is peak Sakura season.