Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by shimps1
My wife and I have DSM>ORD (Eagle) on one ticket booked, and then on a separate ticket, departing 4.5 hrs later, we have ORD>SEZ (QR). Is there any way to call reservations and get the two reservations connected, in case of any weather or mechanical issues on the DSM>ORD flight? both are award tickets, DSM>ORD booked via AS miles, and ORD>SEZ booked via AA miles.

We have the same situation on the return but a longer layover, and the ORD>DSM leg is actually a paid ticket rather than an award.
There is no way “to link PNRs”, and at ORD you’ll likely have to retrieve your checked baggage and check it in with QR due to separate ticketing. And QR is not under any obligation to reaccommodate you if you miss your flight (though AA will do so on your return if a delay affects your ORD-DSM flight).

See FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html

I e booked as you, overnighting at ORD. I’d at least recommend more time...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
There is no way “to link PNRs”, and at ORD you’ll likely have to retrieve your checked baggage and check it in with QR due to separate ticketing. And QR is not under any obligation to reaccommodate you if you miss your flight (though AA will do so on your return if a delay affects your ORD-DSM flight).

See FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html

I e booked as you, overnighting at ORD. I’d at least recommend more time...
there was a thread earlier this year when someone was flying AA and connecting to BA on separate tickets. AA flight was late and BA flight was missed. So AA rebooked that person free of charge
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:39 pm

TBIT lounge acces

Hello,

Flying in Business on the 3 class 777-200 tomorrow 12/8 LAX-MIA. Looks like it is leaving from TBIT as of now. What lounge if any will I have access to?

Thank you!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gishua
Hello,

Flying in Business on the 3 class 777-200 tomorrow 12/8 LAX-MIA. Looks like it is leaving from TBIT as of now. What lounge if any will I have access to?

Thank you!
LAX -MIA is not a premium transcon so you won’t get any lounge access unless you are non AA OWE elite
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Hello,

Thank you!
T4 Admirals Club.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15

there was a thread earlier this year when someone was flying AA and connecting to BA on separate tickets. AA flight was late and BA flight was missed. So AA rebooked that person free of charge
BA is a Joint Business partner - QF is not. Among other pertinent issues.

Hello,

Thank you!
None - there is no three class 777-223ER. Three class First is only found on the 777-323ER.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JDiver
BA is a Joint Business partner - QF is not. Among other pertinent issues.
What other pertinent issues are there? AA's policy is that it will protect passengers on separate tickets when connecting to/from Oneworld, as long as MCT is met. Granted, agents may be unwilling to follow this policy—and I've only had experience with this policy within the Transatlantic joint business partnership—but I don't believe that the policy is different for non-joint business partners.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
What other pertinent issues are there? AA's policy is that it will protect passengers on separate tickets when connecting to/from Oneworld, as long as MCT is met. Granted, agents may be unwilling to follow this policy—and I've only had experience with this policy within the Transatlantic joint business partnership—but I don't believe that the policy is different for non-joint business partners.
If AA will indeed protect them outbound connecting to another one world flight on separate tickets, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:58 am

I need 1245 EQM'S before year end

Starting the year out, I just simply didn't think I would get this close to Platinum Pro so I pretty much ignored my mileage accumulation. I have one more flight prior to the end of the year never thought my travel would put me in a situation of needing 1245 miles to progress to Platinum Pro. I would like to avoid a mileage run and was wondering if there is any other possible way of earning 1245 EQM's at this point? I have not been using my credit card so spending 40,000 this month is out of the question. I have noticed and ignored buying miles at the kiosk at check-in. Would those miles apply to EQM's? Will American give me comp since I am so close? Can I purchase an upgrade to first class to acquire more EQM's on my next flight? I am pretty much open to anything and would love to avoid a mileage run. Thank you for any ideas!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ChicAAgo
Starting the year out, I just simply didn't think I would get this close to Platinum Pro so I pretty much ignored my mileage accumulation. I have one more flight prior to the end of the year never thought my travel would put me in a situation of needing 1245 miles to progress to Platinum Pro. I would like to avoid a mileage run and was wondering if there is any other possible way of earning 1245 EQM's at this point? I have not been using my credit card so spending 40,000 this month is out of the question. I have noticed and ignored buying miles at the kiosk at check-in. Would those miles apply to EQM's? Will American give me comp since I am so close? Can I purchase an upgrade to first class to acquire more EQM's on my next flight? I am pretty much open to anything and would love to avoid a mileage run. Thank you for any ideas!
What is your upcoming flight? If it is over 1235 miles, you can up-fare into first and you would earn double EQMs. This would entail paying the difference in fare between what you paid and the cost of a first class ticket. The change fee will be waived, though. You will want to call in to do this.

The other options that you listed (buying miles, etc.) will not give you EQMs.

Finally, AA is allowing people to buy up to the next level of status. You can check your offer at the following link and see if it might be worth it simply to buy up to Plat Pro instead of up-faring your current ticket. I wouldn’t expect the offer to change substantially after your flight.
https://elite.aa.com/
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:02 pm

Is it possible to create and hold an award reservation through the app? I clicked as far as I could on the app but didn't see an option. However, not sure if I went far enough. Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:26 pm

you can call and upfare your ticket to first class. Also you can check elite.aa.com and see how much is the offer to become Platinum Pro
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Is it possible to create and hold an award reservation through the app? I clicked as far as I could on the app but didn't see an option. However, not sure if I went far enough. Thanks!
If it's possible, the option would appear on the payment page.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:55 pm

Thank you for the information. I checked out buying next level and that was a bit cost prohibitive at $1345. I did check about upgrading to First on my next flight and that is much affordable. I will get to Platinum Pro for a very minimal cost. THANK YOU!
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Thank you for the information. I checked out buying next level and that was a bit cost prohibitive at $1345. I did check about upgrading to First on my next flight and that is much affordable. I will get to Platinum Pro for a very minimal cost. THANK YOU!
Depending on the fare construction, you can even up-fare only the inbound or outbound if just one way would push you over (useful especially if either the inbound or the outbound was only available in J which might make it cost-prohibitive).

There is no change fee to up-fare and remember that the 2 * EQMs on AA are the same for fares booked in A, D, I, and R so go with the lowest cost fare bucket among those available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.