Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Flying from where to where in what class?
New York to Cancun to Phoenix to Dallas in J/J/F.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:10 am

Thank you Mwenenzi.
How does one get upgraded on QF flights if I can't use AA miles...just pay? I only have Ruby status with One World.
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jen.junk
Thank you Mwenenzi.
How does one get upgraded on QF flights if I can't use AA miles...just pay? I only have Ruby status with One World.
Thanks
It's probably a question for the Qantas forum but Qantas only allows upgrades using QF points, and even then not in all circumstances.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
It's probably a question for the Qantas forum but Qantas only allows upgrades using QF points, and even then not in all circumstances.
Yes. Only with for QF freq flyers and using QF points. It referred to as the "upgrade lottery". You apply on line for an upgrade (the lottery), but the chances of an upgrade is very low. You find out on the day (if you look at your QF ffp account on line) or more commonly at check in. The cost in QF points is very high, as post 330 here. QF will fly with empty premium seats, having denied upgrades.

Or cash at the full fare difference between your QF economy fare and premium economy or business/first.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 21, 2018 at 12:39 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you Mwenenzi.
Thanks
Qantas is very restrictive with upgrades. The “lottery” mentioned previously might (but most likely won’t, afaik,) result in an upgrade. The only sure upgrade is to upfare to the desired class of service at the fare available when you upfare - and the strictness includes upfaring the entire ticket, including segments already flown.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Today's (Jan 24) flight HKG-DFW has a seat chart coming up as 2-4-2 for the MCE cabin. It appears all is as expected from the 77W with the exception of rows 16-21. I'm assuming this is a seat map glitch but it seems odd. Any insights?

Also, I am able to access security and immigration in HKG with a mobile BP? i don't remember receiving one in the past when checking in with AA.

Edit: is 2-4-2 a PE 'cabin'?

Last edited by dsquared37; Jan 23, 2018 at 8:20 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Today's (Jan 24) flight HKG-DFW has a seat chart coming up as 2-4-2 for the MCE cabin. It appears all is as expected from the 77W with the exception of rows 16-21. I'm assuming this is a seat map glitch but it seems odd. Any insights?

Also, I am able to access security and immigration in HKG with a mobile BP? i don't remember receiving one in the past when checking in with AA.

Edit: is 2-4-2 a PE 'cabin'?
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ec-2017-a.html.

“8 First Class seats (same as before)
52 Business Class (same as before)
28 Premium Economy (from 0)
28 Main Cabin Extra (reduction of two seats, all in 10 across configuration, all bulkheads or exit rows)
188 Main Cabin / Economy / Coach (reduction from 202 seats)”

But, afaik, AA starts selling PE in February, so what you see on the seat map isn’t what exists.

AA says you can use your mobile boarding pass at HKG - link.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 23, 2018 at 10:19 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:05 am
Suspended

Iberia and BA are both part of IAG and the same company. It is possible the inventory visible to toher one world carriers is more limited. the AA BA IB Joint Business Agreement only covers certain transatlantic flights.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:40 am

I have booked 4 of 5 economy seats needed for ORD>NRT and return in Sept. on JAL with AA miles. I have been monitoring the BA site for the 5th needed ticket but no luck so far. Today, I see that there is plenty of availability for me to book all the tickets on AA economy instead. Since 3 of the 5 of us are Plat Pro (2 earned, and one gifted), I'm wondering if I switch to the AA flights, will I be able to try to upgrade to Business if they become available? Am I right in thinking I'll get hit with a $150 fee per ticket for changing them from the JAL flights to AA?
Or, I continue to wait for the other JAL seat to open up since we have plenty of time. It's a family trip, so the uncertainty of that last ticket not being set is making me a little anxious. Thanks for any input.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rene23
I have booked 4 of 5 economy seats needed for ORD>NRT and return in Sept. on JAL with AA miles. I have been monitoring the BA site for the 5th needed ticket but no luck so far. Today, I see that there is plenty of availability for me to book all the tickets on AA economy instead. Since 3 of the 5 of us are Plat Pro (2 earned, and one gifted), I'm wondering if I switch to the AA flights, will I be able to try to upgrade to Business if they become available? Am I right in thinking I'll get hit with a $150 fee per ticket for changing them from the JAL flights to AA?
Or, I continue to wait for the other JAL seat to open up since we have plenty of time. It's a family trip, so the uncertainty of that last ticket not being set is making me a little anxious. Thanks for any input.
There should be no change or redeposit fee for changing one world carriers for the same origin and destination, and staying within connection times and zones.

If you’re anxious, get the five awards on AA, and get MCE seats with your status. And upfaring to J with miles will not incur redeposit or change fees either.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ancel-etc.html for more information, and read the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA, AS MVP Gold, AA
I have an existing reservation coming up tomorrow for SFO-ORD that I had reserved with my Alaska MVP Gold number back when they were domestic partners. I have an MCE seat, but realized I won't earn any miles from the current setup given the end of the partnership.

Contacting Twitter support even within the 24 hours pre-flight where MCE usually becomes "available", they insisted I would need to give up my seat assignment to change mileage accounts. The ticket is pretty cheap so I don't stand to earn a ton, but mostly want my improved boarding group from the Citi AA card.

Is my best course of action:
1. Request the change at the terminal tomorrow
2. Request credit/swap post-trip (is this possible in this context?)
3. Enjoy MCE and write off the mileage earning on AA
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:26 pm

I might try at the gate prior to boarding. I may be wrong, but given MCE becomes available prior to flight anyway, I doubt a GA would do more than change the FFN - reassigning a seat would be an extra and unnecessary step, IMO.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA, AS MVP Gold, AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
I might try at the gate prior to boarding. I may be wrong, but given MCE becomes available prior to flight anyway, I doubt a GA would do more than change the FFN - reassigning a seat would be an extra and unnecessary step, IMO.
That was my assumption when I thought I could get it swapped over Twitter within the check in window when MCE is 'free'. Might just be them enforcing "policy" at a human level vs technical.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ec-2017-a.html.

“8 First Class seats (same as before)
52 Business Class (same as before)
28 Premium Economy (from 0)
28 Main Cabin Extra (reduction of two seats, all in 10 across configuration, all bulkheads or exit rows)
188 Main Cabin / Economy / Coach (reduction from 202 seats)”

But, afaik, AA starts selling PE in February, so what you see on the seat map isn’t what exists.

AA says you can use your mobile boarding pass at HKG - link.
Thanks for the info about the mobile BP. That can come in handy in the future.

As for the seats, they were PE. It exists. It's real. It's in the sky. They even gave a menu with free booze (though they claimed to seal it for customs 90 min prior to arrival).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:03 pm

There should be no change or redeposit fee for changing one world carriers for the same origin and destination, and staying within connection times and zones.

If you’re anxious, get the five awards on AA, and get MCE seats with your status. And upfaring to J with miles will not incur redeposit or change fees either.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ancel-etc.html for more information, and read the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Thank you for all the information, very appreciated! I was really hoping to try JAL, but I guess I’ll do some research comparing the economy seats, or lack of, for a long flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.