FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1883276-chances-upgrade-clearing-availability-2018-master-thread.html)

AANYC1981 Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm

JFK-LAX Saturday AM cleared at T48 (comp UPG)

Europeanexplorer Jan 24, 2018 8:23 am

I have an SWU waitlisted on AA81 (LHR-DFW) on 27 Jan. Its not looking particularly good at the moment: J4 R3 D2 I0 W0 P0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7. However, I noticed that the J seat map has had 8 open seats (seven selectable and one blocked) ever since the flight went below J7. I presume this is likely to be a Premium Economy oversell? I clearly should have gone for AA79 instead which has plenty of C class - shame AA does not allow international same day flight changes...

Antarius Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer (Post 29333400)
I have an SWU waitlisted on AA81 (LHR-DFW) on 27 Jan. Its not looking particularly good at the moment: J4 R3 D2 I0 W0 P0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7. However, I noticed that the J seat map has had 8 open seats (seven selectable and one blocked) ever since the flight went below J7. I presume this is likely to be a Premium Economy oversell? I clearly should have gone for AA79 instead which has plenty of C class - shame AA does not allow international same day flight changes...

It could be oversell, it could be people with flights on hold/mileage awards on hold. definitely prefer 79 over 81 - the 77W has nearly twice the number of J seats.

Looking at EF seat map, 79 now is showing 11 open seats in J, but only J5.

chenalex Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am

So far 2/3 cleared when I request this year. Cleared a AUS-LAX leg and just cleared a complimentary DFW-MSY for Friday. Prob not busy routes but doing well so far.

Europeanexplorer Jan 24, 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 29333651)
It could be oversell, it could be people with flights on hold/mileage awards on hold. definitely prefer 79 over 81 - the 77W has nearly twice the number of J seats.

Looking at EF seat map, 79 now is showing 11 open seats in J, but only J5.

Yeah - sadly I cannot make my connection in DFW if I take AA79. I think this one is going to go down to the wire - hopefully my EQDs will pull me through.

Antarius Jan 24, 2018 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer (Post 29333896)
Yeah - sadly I cannot make my connection in DFW if I take AA79. I think this one is going to go down to the wire - hopefully my EQDs will pull me through.

Good luck!

I am on ORD-PEK on 1/27.. that is J5 as well, hoping for that to clear.

moonwoo Jan 24, 2018 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 29333923)
Good luck!

I am on ORD-PEK on 1/27.. that is J5 as well, hoping for that to clear.

Do you know if the PEK route is low volume? I travel to Korea several times a year and in October, I decided to fly through PEK on the way back (PEK-DFW). My upgrade (miles plus copay) cleared a few days prior to departure but that J class was completely empty. I was in the back cabin of the 788 and I was the only one except for someone who appeared to be one of the FAs mother. I also walked through the entire J cabin to find only 3 people in the front cabin also... That was a huge contrast to the DFW ICN which was completely full

moonwoo Jan 24, 2018 11:08 am

Hey guys pls let me know if this is not the right place to post this. I have a couple general questions about upgrade chances to Hawaii for those of you who may have experienced this

1. Which routes to Big Island Hawaii (KOA) has the best probability of clearing an upgrade? I noticed that DFW- KOA is on a 772 but I'm assuming its a heavy route and with PE. PHX-KOA is on a 757 and I think the LAX-KOA route is a 321, F/Y configuration class.
2. Can you still upgrade directly to F from Y (essentially bypassing W) if you are flying to Hawaii on a 777? Americans wording makes it seem like you can upgrade to premium economy from coach but not from Coach to First.

I'll be traveling at the end of July and I am an EXP

"For now, you can upgrade from Main Cabin or Premium Economy to First or Business using your AAdvantage miles or systemwide upgrades. For flights to / from Hawaii, Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members receive complimentary upgrades if seats are available. Platinum and Gold members can use 500-mile upgrades."

nov11 Jan 24, 2018 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Finsup72 (Post 29306075)
I like your route choice!

Haha. I get more sleep on LAX-LHR ;). No, LAX-LHR was a week later :)

beachfan Jan 24, 2018 12:13 pm

For expos, I find data points or questions on upgrade success not useful/answerable without knowing $EQD.

Antarius Jan 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by moonwoo (Post 29334110)
Do you know if the PEK route is low volume? I travel to Korea several times a year and in October, I decided to fly through PEK on the way back (PEK-DFW). My upgrade (miles plus copay) cleared a few days prior to departure but that J class was completely empty. I was in the back cabin of the 788 and I was the only one except for someone who appeared to be one of the FAs mother. I also walked through the entire J cabin to find only 3 people in the front cabin also... That was a huge contrast to the DFW ICN which was completely full

In my totally anecdotal opinion, PEK, PVG and NRT are much easier to clear upgrades than ICN and HKG. I assume there is enough volume to make them profitable (otherwise AA wouldn't fly to PEK from LAX, DFW and ORD), but seem to find the upgrades much easier to clear.

I think between the fact that there are 3 flights to PEK + tons of capacity from Air China/Eastern/Southern/Hainan, there is less demand for a single flight.

moonwoo Jan 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 29334434)
For expos, I find data points or questions on upgrade success not useful/answerable without knowing $EQD.

Hello. If you were referring to my question, it was just a general question about which routes will have an easier chance to clear. So it would be myself trying to clear upgrades on LAX-KOA, DFW-KOA or PHX-KOA. Since I am the same person regardless of the route, I figured EQD wouldn't be as important, but if it is important to know, I'm at about 14k.

I just wanted to know if it would be easier to clear upgrades on a wide body 777 going from DFW or narrow body from the coast or a narrow body from PHX

Perfect example is what Antarius answered above. NRT/PEK routes are easier to clear than ICN. I do tend to agree with that as well. So on the Hawaii routes, there has to be one specific route that may be less congested and easier to upgrade than another as well.

beachfan Jan 24, 2018 12:52 pm

I was referring to all the “data points”.

I assume with barely qualifying EQD, a wide body would be best but I don’t know how elite heavy that Phoenix route is.

Antarius Jan 24, 2018 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by moonwoo (Post 29334544)
Hello. If you were referring to my question, it was just a general question about which routes will have an easier chance to clear. So it would be myself trying to clear upgrades on LAX-KOA, DFW-KOA or PHX-KOA. Since I am the same person regardless of the route, I figured EQD wouldn't be as important, but if it is important to know, I'm at about 14k.

I just wanted to know if it would be easier to clear upgrades on a wide body 777 going from DFW or narrow body from the coast or a narrow body from PHX

Perfect example is what Antarius answered above. NRT/PEK routes are easier to clear than ICN. I do tend to agree with that as well. So on the Hawaii routes, there has to be one specific route that may be less congested and easier to upgrade than another as well.

The PHX flight is on a ...... LUS 757 with chair seats. IMO, may as well just fly in coach on a widebody than this one.

I did HNL-PHX last year and thoroughly regretted that decision. I would go DFW-KOA.. or DFW-HNL-KOA (if possible, there are 2 DFW-HNL flights)

ntamayo Jan 24, 2018 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by moonwoo (Post 29334544)
I just wanted to know if it would be easier to clear upgrades on a wide body 777 going from DFW or narrow body from the coast or a narrow body from PHX.

It should be easier to clear upgrades ex-LAX simply due to more flights available, as opposed to a/c type.