Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are FLL and MIA still considered co-terminals?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold

I think the answer is no for purposes of doing things like same day flight change or standby, right?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I think the answer is no for purposes of doing things like same day flight change or standby, right?
Co-terminals just don't matter anymore for same day flight change or standby---you have to stick with the same airport and routing even if the airport in question does have a co-terminal airport.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
Co-terminals just don't matter anymore for same day flight change or standby---you have to stick with the same airport and routing even if the airport in question does have a co-terminal airport.
Boooo thats what I thought.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You cannot change your itinerary to a city with multiple airports or to a different connecting city.

Emphasis mine.

That seems to be AA's awkward syntax restricting co-terminals.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamOF
I think they only matter for fare construction, such as for round-trip fares, in terms of determining whether you're returning to the "same city" or not. And it's usually spelled out in the fare rules, under "Combinations".
E.g., from a JFK-CDG fare (though I think the content is generic):
Code:
NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME
POINT -
BUR-LAX BUR-LGB BUR-ONT BUR-SNA BWI-WAS
EWR-NYC FLL-MIA LAX-LGB LAX-ONT LAX-SNA
LGB-ONT LGB-SNA OAK-SFO OAK-SJC ONT-SNA
ORF-PHF SFO-SJC
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:45 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

However, if things are delayed (or you get an oversell hump/etc), most bets are off and you should be able to get what you prefer.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
IMO, these routing integrity rules for SDFC demonstrate that AA actually has no idea why I fly and, frankly, doesn't care. Changes like this really undermine that whole going for great nonsense they've been hanging onto
lbbzman likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Getting to from FLL-MIA at certain times of the day would be equivalent to trying to get from EWR-JFK. A nightmare.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think they only matter for fare construction, such as for round-trip fares, in terms of determining whether you're returning to the "same city" or not. And it's usually spelled out in the fare rules, under "Combinations".
Code:
POINT -
ORF-PHF SFO-SJC
Yep. I believe they may also matter for surface segment connections per fare rules--for example, flying into LGA to connect with a international flight from JFK on the same fare component.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
However, if things are delayed (or you get an oversell hump/etc), most bets are off and you should be able to get what you prefer.
This is correct. I've been consistently shown SJC as an alternative to SFO when confirmed changes open up for flight delays. I'd imagine this would be the same for FLL in lieu of MIA (and maybe even PBI). This obviously does not apply for voluntary SDFC changes which require the same routings and beginning and end airports (I wish they'd be more flexible on the connections; but I completely understand why they don't allow co-terminals)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lds89
(I wish they'd be more flexible on the connections; but I completely understand why they don't allow co-terminals)
Eh, I do and I don't. There may be any number of reasons I choose to depart from, say LGA over EWR or JFK. It could include price, schedule, aircraft, etc. I do understand why they, say, might not want someone to be able to change BOS-JFK to BOS-LGA, because the former is usually meaningfully more expensive (especially close-in). However, there could be other routes where perhaps the timing was better for EWR, but once I determined that say I want to leave a earlier, (the whole reason to allow SDFC), now I have so many less options because I'm stuck with EWR. Or maybe I see better upgrade options on a flight to a different city. I guess as 869 noted, AA doesn't really know or give a hoot about why I fly.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yep - Recently finished up in Orlando early and had cause to get to Austin ASAP. My MCO-AUS route meant I had zero options to get there sooner. I could have connected in CLT, DFW, MIA, ORD and arrive when I now needed to be there but, of course, no dice.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Code:
POINT -
ORF-PHF SFO-SJC
this also explains why I cant book any HOU DFW IAH segment runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.