Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Downgraded Myself To Coach Due First Cabin Issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I cleared a rare Platinum 48 hr upgrade on Transcon. F went out full, Coach 1/2. Turns out that one of the first FA’s drowned herself in perfume. I practically passed out in flight due to being nauseated.

The other first FA was so kind about it and had nowhere to move me in first. I ended up downgrading myself to an exit row with her permission.

I have the name of the “toxic” FA, and I really feel as though she needs to be told to tone it down.

Do you think it would be wasted breath to contact customer relations so that her supervisor can address it?

Last edited by chix; Dec 3, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:09 pm

Problem is that is VERY subjective. Absent multiple complaints it could be a bit of a fight...
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by trooper
Problem is that is VERY subjective. Absent multiple complaints it could be a bit of a fight...
I am not looking for a fight. If it were a fellow passenger, really nothing I can do, but it is an employee who probably has no idea how offensive it is. She needs to know from her team in my opinion rather than a passenger confrontation in front of others.

I am just trying to decide if it is worth letting them know and if it will trickle down to her.

Thanks for your opinion.
Lost and nutwpinut like this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
If it's bad enough to make you downgrade on a transcon... it might be worth saying something. It would take a lot of perfume to make me do that.
Lost likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:54 am

I'm not sure it's a good idea for an airline (or any company) to start monitoring how an employee smells based on individual customer preferences.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP says that she is "very sensitive and allergic to these odors". None of the other passengers apparently did anything or they complained did not follow through my moving to another cabin.

If a significant number of passengers complain, it is remotely possible that AA may take a look at the specific issue. Otherwise, this is simply a one-off extremely sensitive passenger with a one-off concern which I would be surprised if AA addressed other than by a cut & paste answer thanking OP for the input.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I would send AA a note. Basically what you said in the first post plus flight number, date, FA name, etc. They may or may not do anything, but who knows? Maybe passengers on other flights with the same FA have had the same problem.

Did the second FA seem to confirm that the amount of perfume was excessive?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:25 am

Nothing will come of it, why waste the time?

After all it is your sensitivity and a really, REALLY subjective one.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:30 am

I bet heavy perfume is already against the dress code. Definitely bring it to AA's attention so that the FA can be made aware it is a problem.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:14 am

There are people who can end up with asthma attacks if perfume is too strong. I too would have been forced to leave the section due to my eyes burning etc. etc. I think telling AA is totally the proper thing to do.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Certain components of perfumes etc. can cause allergic and respiratory reactions among some passengers. On the other hand, some people have very low olfactory sense, or may even be anosmic, and have poor sense of these things. This is also relevant to the airline as allergies etc. fall within the Purdue of the Air Carrier Access Act.

I’d report it to AA. Like low level behaviors that may cause offense or characteristics that might affect work performance, resulting reports are usually documented and may be brought forward if they reach a certain volume or are frequent. In this instance it’s unlikely to result in any discipline (nor would I want any disciplinary action), but the employee may be advised or counseled so less scent is used during work hours. (This would be typical in most large companies with professional HR offices, in my experience.)
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Report it to AA? I would do no such thing about something that was not a problem for anyone else nor a service failure.

I have a peanut allergy - the idea of complaining to AA if I saw a FA consuming peanuts in the cabin is beyond comprehension.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
You would think common sense would prevail upon donning perfume/cologne especially in a setting that constitutes customer contact up close and personal for a extended duration of time.

<redacted >

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 4, 2017 at 8:30 pm Reason: Rules, please
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
You would think common sense would prevail upon donning perfume/cologne especially in a setting that constitutes customer contact up close and personal for a extended duration of time.

<redacted>
It's quite possible no one else even noticed the perfume except the OP, who by admission is unusually sensitive to perfume smells. If you're referring to the FA as an "idiot" you've picked the wrong target.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 4, 2017 at 8:31 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:52 am

i think its worthwhile to write in and get something from AA in return for the self-downgrade.

as for handling of the employee, let AA management deal with that..... i don't know what their policies are regarding reasonable accommodation for employee vs passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.