Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Downgraded Myself To Coach Due First Cabin Issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded Myself To Coach Due First Cabin Issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:09 pm

Defending the right of FAs to wear as much perfume as they like is silly. Many, many people have a bad reaction to it in confined spaces like an elevator or an airplane, and many more just plain don't like a heavy scent of perfume anymore than they would like the plane reeking of Pine Sol. Since it is no hardship on FAs to wear only a little or none at all, it ought to be part of their dress code if it isn't already.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm not sure it's a good idea for an airline (or any company) to start monitoring how an employee smells based on individual customer preferences.
Reminds me of a former office setting where a woman was dousing herself in perfume each day before arriving to work. I suspect over time she'd grown "nose blind". All of my colleagues within a 30 feet or so radius of her office talked amongst each other how overwhelming it was. Seriously, there was much sneezing, nose dripping and some even claimed nausea and headaches. I volunteered to approach her very gently on the matter, and she could not have been more apologetic and gracious for letting her know. She really had no idea whatsoever, and reduced her application significantly to everyone's relief.
chix likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for your suggestions all. I chose to email a very polite note and below are the responses:

Thank you for writing us. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience traveling with us recently.

Our goal for every employee is to provide friendly, courteous , professional service. However, flight attendants have an especially crucial role in achieving that goal because they spend more time with you than any of our other employees. One of my primary responsibilities is to record customer feedback such as yours. That feedback gives us the opportunity to improve. I have documented your concerns about the very strong and overwhelming perfume scent that made your flight so uncomfortable. My report will be made available to the appropriate leadership in flight service.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we hope that you will not be deterred from traveling with us in the future. It would be our privilege to restore your confidence in American Airlines.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
Customer Relations
American Airlines
I replied back thanking them (yes, I told them I moved to main cabin from first). I did not ask for anything except the assurance that the feedback gets conveyed. I received another quick response below from the same person:

Thanks for writing me back. Yes, we take these kinds of concerns very seriously and always want to reassure you of this. I also want you to know that we include your comments "verbatim" in our reporting. Additionally, I include your travel itinerary so that the particular flight you are referring to is documented, as well. We really do appreciate your feedback. The fact that you took the time to write us clearly shows the significance of how this impacted you. Again-thank you.

We look forward to seeing you on another American Airlines flight very soon!

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxx
Customer Relations
American Airlines
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

It's quite possible no one else even noticed the perfume except the OP, who by admission is unusually sensitive to perfume smells. If you're referring to the FA as an "idiot" you've picked the wrong target.
Ummm, no. Others noticed it. I could hear them talk. In fact, every time she went out to assist in the main cabin, I could smell she was coming without even looking up. FA was a good person, no idiot like others said in this thread. I think she just has no idea how much is too much.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
If you reconsider and decide to ask for something, I'd think that getting your 500-mile upgrade certificates restored would be appropriate.
chix likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
+1 for reporting it.

I always report minor items that, on their own, are not actionable because if the company receives sufficient similar complaints, evidencing that the problem affects many, perhaps action will be taken.

Kind of like a class action - nobody is going to sue individually for a $2.87 settlement check, but when a company has to pay millions to settle, they will refrain from similar conduct in the future.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
+1 for reporting it.

I always report minor items that, on their own, are not actionable because if the company receives sufficient similar complaints, evidencing that the problem affects many, perhaps action will be taken.

Kind of like a class action - nobody is going to sue individually for a $2.87 settlement check, but when a company has to pay millions to settle, they will refrain from similar conduct in the future.
i appreciate the compliment. AA is being genuine with their response it appears.

i really do not feel like asking for something if they learned from their mistake.

i will think about it.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Honestly why didn't you just nicely and discretely say something to the FA or at the very least another FA to tell her after the flight was over? I'm not sure this is something that needs to be reported to AA...
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Honestly why didn't you just nicely and discretely say something to the FA or at the very least another FA to tell her after the flight was over? I'm not sure this is something that needs to be reported to AA...
i did just that to the other FA in first. She was so nice and helpful. But it was an awkward situation dealing with someone else’s hygiene, let alone a colleague on a long flight in a tight space that she did not seem to have met before.

That is when she kindly found me a seat in economy. She knew it was a problem for others too. Her strategy for dealing with it was to open up several bags of fresh coffee and place them in discreet places to try and mask the scent.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I won’t get too scientific here but I have an allergy to most legitimate things (yes I’m making a joke against gluten) and I think folks confuse allergy and annoyance often. If you truly have respiratory issues from perfume you shouldn’t travel without an inhaler. Every once and a while i’ll have a reaction and get asthma like attacks (like once a year) triggered by some allergen but it’s super rare most of my triggers are easily dealt with Benadryl which also helps me sleep to win win on a flight. I think this thread just gave me a new idea. I’m going to douse myself before every WN flight a take which should increase the times I get that middle empty seat.

Sure I’d prefer someone not bathe in Chanel No. 47 but if it’s that or a smelly person (it happens to me quite a bit internationally) or someone passing gas an entire flight i’ll take perfume plus two Benadryl and a glass or two of red wine and call it a wonderful fight up in F.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: AA, Hilton Honors
Not sure what you want AA to do. Might be helpful if her colleagues told her to tone down the volume a bit. There is always the fan to help. If they took stickers out, you could possibly get them back. Just an unlucky situation.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm not sure it's a good idea for an airline (or any company) to start monitoring how an employee smells based on individual customer preferences.
Why not? Is professionalism a dated concept? Don't bother showering for a few days, offend all the passenger - all A-OK?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I believe you did everything correctly from how you handled it in the air to sending a message to AA customer service. Good luck on your future travels!
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s not a “customer preference” if the scent and it’s strength affect a passenger’s breathing, causes nausea, etc.

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
i think its worthwhile to write in and get something from AA in return for the self-downgrade.

as for handling of the employee, let AA management deal with that..... i don't know what their policies are regarding reasonable accommodation for employee vs passengers.
The Air Carrier Access Act is quite clear about that. There must be reasonable accommodation for passengers with various conditions in ,using allergies, and there is no concomitant right to wear scents that can affect those passengers. Management’s required to act by the ACA.

On the ground ADA applies to businesses with public access, in the air it’s ACA. I consulted and trained with companies and organizations on these and related issues nearly 30 years.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:08 am

OP - was this the 117 JFK-LAX on Saturday? If so, I was on the flight as well. What seat were you?

The smell was revolting, but I did not know what had happened. I thought it was a passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.