Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus CEO: NO Oneworld Plans, But AA Relationship Sought 17 Nov 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

“We have no plans to join Oneworld,” Aer Lingus CEO Stephen Kavanagh told members of the European Aviation Conference on Tuesday in comments reported by the Independent. “We still have to do the business case for joining Oneworld."

and

Kavanagh might not be enthusiastic about Oneworld, but the CEO certainly sounded eager for Aer Lingus to become a part of a separate alliance that includes British Airways and American Ailines. He indicated that a partnership that includes America’s largest airline could yield big returns for his rapidly expanding Dublin-based airline.
As a related sidebar, Kavanagh mentioned service to the eastern USA using the A321LR.

Kavanagh says ideally EI would join the AA et al Joint Business Agreement for transatlantic service.

Link to Irish Independent News article

Link to FlyerTalk article

Link to archived FlyerTalk - AA thread
george 3 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 19, 2017 at 11:16 am Reason: ADD
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
So we're in a bizarre situation where we can earn miles on LEVEL but not on Aer Lingus? I really would like to use DUB, but they really have to solve this problem, even if it's some restricted AA-BA-EI agreement.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:47 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I suppose if they joined the JV we’d be able to ticket on EI metal under AA codeshares for the mileage credit and EQMs/EQDs... but without them being in Oneworld, it gets messy when it comes to reciprocal benefits. For example, AA Plats/ExPlats flying in Y probably wouldn’t be able to access EI lounges.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by dw
I suppose if they joined the JV we’d be able to ticket on EI metal under AA codeshares for the mileage credit and EQMs/EQDs... but without them being in Oneworld, it gets messy when it comes to reciprocal benefits. For example, AA Plats/ExPlats flying in Y probably wouldn’t be able to access EI lounges.
Why not? If the airlines agree to it, Aer Lingus can let whomever they want into their lounges. Lounge access does not have to correlate strictly along Alliance lines...just look at Alaska Airlines lounges and their policies.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That'd be cool.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Why not? If the airlines agree to it, Aer Lingus can let whomever they want into their lounges. Lounge access does not have to correlate strictly along Alliance lines...just look at Alaska Airlines lounges and their policies.
You have to be an AC member or travelling in paid F on AS to access their lounges. An ExPlat flying in Y PDX-SEA (AS)/ SEA-LHR (BA) does not have access to the BR at PDX.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Fanjet
You have to be an AC member or travelling in paid F on AS to access their lounges. An ExPlat flying in Y PDX-SEA (AS)/ SEA-LHR (BA) does not have access to the BR at PDX.
I think you missed my point. The airlines CAN allow people into their lounges upon any agreement they want to make with another airline. There is nothing stopping them from doing so. Whether they do or not is unknown, but not being in OneWorld really is not a factor that would stop an airline from doing so.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I think you missed my point. The airlines CAN allow people into their lounges upon any agreement they want to make with another airline. There is nothing stopping them from doing so. Whether they do or not is unknown, but not being in OneWorld really is not a factor that would stop an airline from doing so.
EK and QF, for example.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Fanjet
AS has negotiated lounge access agreements for their members outside of alliance structures. AS MVP Golds can access lounges operated by BA (in LHR), QF, and a few other airlines based purely on AS elite status; lounge membership is irrelevant to those agreements. A better example is airlines like Virgin Australia, which has status-based reciprocal lounge access agreements with most of their partners, which are in two alliances as well as unaligned. Or QF, which has a reciprocal lounge access agreement with their joint venture partner EK. If EI and AA entered a joint venture, I think it's virtually certain that a reciprocal lounge access agreement would come with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.