Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seasonal Route DFW-KEF Reykjavik B757 —> PHL-KEF Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA established DFW-KEF / Keflavik International Airport for Reykjavik, Iceland, a seasonal route, on 7 June 2018 using a 75L (international, lie flat seats) model 756-200.

AA announced the changing of this flight to PHL-KEF effective 4 Jun 2020 with the same 75L aircraft type.l

Philadelphia – Keflavik, 10:15 pm – 8:00 am, Flight AA232
Keflavik – Philadelphia, 11:00 am – 1:30 pm, Flight AA231
Print Wikipost

Seasonal Route DFW-KEF Reykjavik B757 —> PHL-KEF Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Antarius
1221 round trip and a totally empty plane. Wow
You do realize that is basically a walk-up fare, right?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by econometrics
There's no way AA makes money on this route, IMO. It's completely just there to attempt to flex some kind of muscle to WW and FI as they (finally) penetrate the DFW fortress for LCC INTL travel.
Yeah, but that doesn’t explain very high fares. You can certainly lose money by charging fares do high that almost no one flies on your plane, but you sure don’t drive out competition. If your goal is to drive out competition, you make sure that you fill every seat, even if it means loss-making cheap fares.

Originally Posted by Antarius
Did some more poking.. DFW-KEF

6/15 - Friday: 2 open seats in J, maybe 10 in Y
6/19 - Tuesday: 6 open in J and 20 in Y
6/27 - Wednesday: 3 open seats in J, maybe 15 in Y

So loads aren't as horrible as it looked above.
Yeah. The virtually-empty inaugural was after it took a delay that wound up being close to 24 hours; presumably most of the passengers begged off or were reaccommodated. I wouldn’t take loads on that flight as indicative of anything.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Any ideas on access to the Icelandair Saga Lounge in KEF, when flying AA? The oneworld website indicates that there is Sapphire/Emerald access for BA & AY flights. I'm wondering if they just haven't updated it since this is such a new route for AA.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by andresmdn
Any ideas on access to the Icelandair Saga Lounge in KEF, when flying AA? The oneworld website indicates that there is Sapphire/Emerald access for BA & AY flights. I'm wondering if they just haven't updated it since this is such a new route for AA.
It appears that all OW Emerald and Sapphire have access (page 2). See page 3 for AA - even AC members have access when flying AA:

https://pixels.icelandair.com/3fe38d...877d880f08.pdf

It is a bit confusing, though, since on page 3 they mention that EXP, PPRO, and PLAT have access only when flying on AA, but on page 2 they mention OWE and OWS...I've been there a few times in the last months but always on my FI status so I never though to ask - I'll check into it when I'm there in July.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by zpaul; Jun 13, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by zpaul
All OW Emerald and Sapphire have access (page 2). See page 3 for AA - even AC members have access when flying AA:
had no idea, thanks!!
zpaul likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It appears that all OW Emerald and Sapphire have access (page 2). See page 3 for AA - even AC members have access when flying AA:

It is a bit confusing, though, since on page 3 they mention that EXP, PPRO, and PLAT have access only when flying on AA, but on page 2 they mention OWE and OWS...I've been there a few times in the last months but always on my FI status so I never though to ask - I'll check into it when I'm there in July.
This is pretty much the standard protocol for lounge access when AA uses a contract or 3rd party lounge at an international outstation without an AC.

And agree on the Page 2 OWE/OWS listing, no idea why that is on there.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP

Good find with the PDF. I can confirm, the lounge dragons are looking at the same PDF when determining eligibility. They did ask to see my EXP card, but were satisfied with showing them the account info on the AA phone app.

It's a pretty nice one, the saga lounge. Good showers, some recliner chairs perfect for napping. A bit spare with breakfast offerings, but I've read lunch and dinner are much better.
zpaul likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:17 pm

Access is there. I flew on the inaugural DFW-KEF flight, and returned late last week. At the Saga lounge they did ask to see my PPro card since I was bringing a guest . Very quiet lounge, good selection of food and drinks.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by texchica
Access is there. I flew on the inaugural DFW-KEF flight, and returned late last week. At the Saga lounge they did ask to see my PPro card since I was bringing a guest . Very quiet lounge, good selection of food and drinks.
Had the same experience on Thursday.

Internet speed it great in the lounge, so make sure to download what you want to watch during the flight as the only movies you can see are on the overhead monitors. Kind of surprising that AA doesn't have a media server on the plane. It's not so much a problem on the flight over to KEF as you sleeping, but on the return, it would make for a long flight if you have nothing to watch.

Oh, I forgot, they have live TV for CNN and World Cup matches but it was a little jerky.
zpaul likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Marriott (TE), National (EE)
Flew AA232/231 in the past week and agree with previous posts. Got lucky with systemwides for my wife and I at the gate on the outbound flight and the lie flat seats made a huge difference during the overnight flight; ended up with 4 seats opening up at the gate in total. Return flight had no seats open up, but main cabin extra seats are reasonable for the 7.5 hour flight.

Internet was definitely slow, meals were decent and crew members were very good. Most crew said they weren't sure how long AA would offer this route so they were glad to take advantage of the night they spend in Iceland. Have heard many who flew in regular economy seats were not pleased and I can understand why with less room and no power outlets.

Saga Lounge is excellent as noted; multiple coffee machines located around the lounge, wide selection of common and local beverages and an excellent breakfast spread during our visit around 9am. Staff was still getting used to signing in AC members, but were very pleasant and helpful.
Max M likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Well, with such low load factors, and if AA wants to still be a thorn in Wow!'s side (plus the other European ULCC's), perhaps AA could achieve better load factors from ORD, PHL, or JFK in 2019. Plus less fuel burn from these cities to KEF than from DFW, and I imagine better O&D traffic and more cargo demand from ORD and/or JFK versus DFW.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by gs7983
Flew AA232/231 in the past week and agree with previous posts. Got lucky with systemwides for my wife and I at the gate on the outbound flight and the lie flat seats made a huge difference during the overnight flight; ended up with 4 seats opening up at the gate in total. Return flight had no seats open up, but main cabin extra seats are reasonable for the 7.5 hour flight.

Internet was definitely slow, meals were decent and crew members were very good. Most crew said they weren't sure how long AA would offer this route so they were glad to take advantage of the night they spend in Iceland. Have heard many who flew in regular economy seats were not pleased and I can understand why with less room and no power outlets.

Saga Lounge is excellent as noted; multiple coffee machines located around the lounge, wide selection of common and local beverages and an excellent breakfast spread during our visit around 9am. Staff was still getting used to signing in AC members, but were very pleasant and helpful.
Very helpful first post!

Welcome to FT, gs7983!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Max M
Well, with such low load factors, and if AA wants to still be a thorn in Wow!'s side (plus the other European ULCC's), perhaps AA could achieve better load factors from ORD, PHL, or JFK in 2019. Plus less fuel burn from these cities to KEF than from DFW, and I imagine better O&D traffic and more cargo demand from ORD and/or JFK versus DFW.
Where are you getting the LF data from?

Regardless, the point (IMO) is AA wants to be a thorn in the ULCC's side at DFW, not at ORD etc. ORD has a billion airlines flying to Europe while DFW has the OW JV (AA/BA), LH and the the ULCCs/leisure targeting Icelandair and WOW. AA wants to kick the Iceland crowd out of DFW to stop them from depressing yields. There is no benefit to trying to get into a losers battle at ORD or JFK.

If WOW decided to enter PHL, I expect AA to respond pretty similarly.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Marriott (TE), National (EE)
Thanks, Max! Been meaning to join in for a while and had a good reason to do so with these flights.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Max M
PHL hasn't seen nearly as much interest from European/Icelandic ULCC's as NYC, Chicago or Dallas. This is a case where AA probably benefits from PHL lying in the shadows of NYC, which is a much larger tourism draw. Speaking anecdotally as someone who manages Airbnbs in Philly, the majority of our European guests fly into JFK/EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.