Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seasonal Route DFW-KEF Reykjavik B757 —> PHL-KEF Jun 2020

Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA established DFW-KEF / Keflavik International Airport for Reykjavik, Iceland, a seasonal route, on 7 June 2018 using a 75L (international, lie flat seats) model 756-200.

AA announced the changing of this flight to PHL-KEF effective 4 Jun 2020 with the same 75L aircraft type.l

Philadelphia – Keflavik, 10:15 pm – 8:00 am, Flight AA232
Keflavik – Philadelphia, 11:00 am – 1:30 pm, Flight AA231
Print Wikipost

Seasonal Route DFW-KEF Reykjavik B757 —> PHL-KEF Jun 2020

Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Does anyone know if the Saga Lounge allows arrivals access? I'll be flying DFW-KEF in Business and am Exec Plat. I think its only a departure lounge. Was hoping for a shower before I set out on a day of touring.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MorganB
Does anyone know if the Saga Lounge allows arrivals access? I'll be flying DFW-KEF in Business and am Exec Plat. I think its only a departure lounge. Was hoping for a shower before I set out on a day of touring.
There is no arrival lounge use in KEF. However, sleepinginairports.net is a great site to check for airport amenities, hotels, etc.

Showers – Location: South Building, 1st Floor. Hours and rates are not known. link
MorganB likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
There is no arrival lounge use in KEF. However, sleepinginairports.net is a great site to check for airport amenities, hotels, etc.
Thank you for the tip!
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
According to VFTW, moved to PHL-KEF effective June 1

American is moving their Reykjavik flight to Philadelphia this summer, effective June 4 using the same flight numbers. It’s daily service operated by a Boeing 757.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...d-service-too/
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:19 am

American just wants to push Icelandair off of the PHL route like they did at DFW and then they will withdraw service from PHL as well
GUWonder, no1cub17 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
According to VFTW, moved to PHL-KEF effective June 1

American is moving their Reykjavik flight to Philadelphia this summer, effective June 4 using the same flight numbers. It’s daily service operated by a Boeing 757.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...d-service-too/

So "this summer" is referring to 2021? And they are ending DFW service correct? I'm glad I went ahead and planned a trip this summer in case AA cancelled the DFW service!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Summer 2020
MorganB likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cltfc
American just wants to push Icelandair off of the PHL route like they did at DFW and then they will withdraw service from PHL as well
it does seem that AA is happy to move their KEF flight to follow FI, and I can't see this being a battle that FI can win given AA has feed to their hubs where FI has to rely on O/D or partners.
MorganB likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
it does seem that AA is happy to move their KEF flight to follow FI, and I can't see this being a battle that FI can win given AA has feed to their hubs where FI has to rely on O/D or partners.
Most of FI's traffic is connecting in KEF - AA launching PHL-KEF will have no effect upon that.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Cltfc
I’m not so sure. With the demise of WOW, tourism is significantly down in Iceland but demand is still high.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m not so sure. With the demise of WOW, tourism is significantly down in Iceland but demand is still high.
Much the same could have been said for the AA DFW-KEF route, and yet AA bailed on that route.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Much the same could have been said for the AA DFW-KEF route, and yet AA bailed on that route.
PHL-KEF on a 757 is way more logical. That seasonal route has a genuine chance to succeed, as long as interest in Iceland travel continues. BTW, how are prices in Iceland these days. I went a few years ago after the Icelandic "bubble" burst and things were expensive, but not crazy. But then they got more expensive again. I think the Krona has declined now in unison with the Euro, but my prime hesitation in returning (other than over-tourism) is that I don't think Iceland would deliver very good vacation value. The US dollar is quite strong now, and it's almost always more fun to vacation where you feel rich, than vacation where you feel poor.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
PHL-KEF on a 757 is way more logical. ............it's almost always more fun to vacation where you feel rich, than vacation where you feel poor.
Classic FT comment of the year :-::-:
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FLL88
Summer 2020
The article simply said "this summer".

Where (what) is your source?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
PHL-KEF on a 757 is way more logical. That seasonal route has a genuine chance to succeed, as long as interest in Iceland travel continues. BTW, how are prices in Iceland these days. I went a few years ago after the Icelandic "bubble" burst and things were expensive, but not crazy. But then they got more expensive again. I think the Krona has declined now in unison with the Euro, but my prime hesitation in returning (other than over-tourism) is that I don't think Iceland would deliver very good vacation value. The US dollar is quite strong now, and it's almost always more fun to vacation where you feel rich, than vacation where you feel poor.
If Iceland makes someone feel rich on vacation and it is more fun to vacation where you feel rich, then why not vacation in the poorest parts of Mississippi and cheer-lead for a new PHL to Mississippi route? Oh, wait, but there is no major international competitor that AA wants to chase away from Mississippi.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.