Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
No other airlines got on board and AA entrenched themselves in the position. GG believes they remedied the situation and AA in fact has defaulted on the contract with GG by refusing service and in turn not paying GG. This now leaves AA with a contract terminated by the supplier and the other suppliers with the capacity to take on the contract are bending AA over the barrel.
This just can't be correct. Here are some observations:
-There are likely other airports around the world where GG continues to service AA flights. AA is in its rights to suspend GG at LAX, and I think if AA is not going to re-engage GG, it would be limited to LAX. I have no doubt that AA had other issues before this incident with GG at LAX.
-There isn't a rate issue, AA has contract rates with other caterers.

Unfortunately, lead times on catering are just much worse than AA can manage.

Rasheed
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:52 pm

LSG will now be catering AKL, HKG and SYD.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rasheed
This just can't be correct. Here are some observations:
-There are likely other airports around the world where GG continues to service AA flights. AA is in its rights to suspend GG at LAX, and I think if AA is not going to re-engage GG, it would be limited to LAX. I have no doubt that AA had other issues before this incident with GG at LAX.
-There isn't a rate issue, AA has contract rates with other caterers.

Unfortunately, lead times on catering are just much worse than AA can manage.

Rasheed
Fair points, and as I said, just a theory. One thing to keep in mind though, usually a hub airport has an individually negotiated contract with suppliers unlike outstations which are usually part of a national master contract. Realistically the LAX GG contract is specific to LAX and not tied to any other hub or station service contract. I still hold this as a theory as AA apparently also contracts with Air Fayer and LSG dependent on route and maybe they figured their worst case was simply moving the business to another provider, and this has proven more difficult than management thought it would be.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skylady
LSG will now be catering AKL, HKG and SYD.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if this starts immediately?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Hasn’t AA been having catering issues at LAX in general for a while? Could they be using this to finally stick it to GG?
ECKOA6 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by marnold3
Thanks for the info. Do you know if this starts immediately?
The update was dated 11/3, saying it starts immediately
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the headline that the NBC morons placed on its website:

"Traces of Listeria Found in American Airlines Catered Food"

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...454850333.html

No wonder so many think so little of the tv networks.

So AA, "out of an abundance of caution," fired GG even though other airlines did not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#25d9ad2e1c92

So what happens the next time listeria is found in the floor drains of one of AA's other LA caterers like Air Fayre or LSG? Will AA fire them as well, "out of an abundance of caution?" At some point, there won't be any caterers meeting AA's high standards.

AA and "high standards." Good one.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
New Data Point — LAX-HKG Nov 5th in F

Just flew AA LAX-HKG in First, departing 12:40AM on the 5th. Before arriving at the airport, I got the message from AA saying that catering may be impacted, and if so, I would get a voucher, but I haven’t yet seen a second e-mail stating what the voucher will be. If I don’t see anything in the next 24 hours, what is the recommended course of action? Can the EXP desk take action and resolve?

For those wondering:

The seat was catered with all of the soft products... two pillows, blanket (same as in J,) a mattress pad, slippers, and the F Cole Hahn amentity kit. As an aside, I must say I like the new tan AA pajamas. Much more comfortable (and breathable) than the black pajamas I’ve received on past flights.

The food was standard domestic F... what you would expect between LAX-DFW. There were no menus and while there were three services, each service was one course (except for the first, which had a dessert.) After takeoff, the dinner was either chicken or tortellini (I chose the tortellini) which was the same as I’ve had many times flying to and from Texas. Accompanying the tortellini was a small salad (again, same as Domestic F) and a little side of salami and cheese slices (wouldn’t call it full charcuterie by any stretch.) There was also a piece of bread... Instead of the usual ice cream, desert was a slice of chocolate cake (which was pretty good... hadn’t seen that before on another AA flight.)

Mid flight was a tiny Stromboli (served in its original packaging... you had to take it out of the box) with sides being another helping of the same salad and salami plate from the first course.

Breakfast was cereal or an omlette. Had the omlette. It was pretty awful.

Alchohol was domestic F catering, so I stuck to Woodford.

The flight was also incredibly bumpy — not terrible on an absolute scale (and I’ve certainly been on worse over the years,) but this was definitely my worst of the year, with constant to and fro swaying that made it very tough to sleep (hence being up for all three meals.)

I hope that AA doesn’t consider this “catered” for the purposes of the voucher.

The FAs were friendly enough but not overly attentive or helpful. They kept to themselves for most of the flight — I fear out of embarssement for what they had to serve on one of AA’s longest and most premium routes.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Just curious, how much was the voucher?

And agree that the restrictions don't seem considerate at all to an Int'l clientele.

Always blows my mind how myopic many US companies can be when dealing with a global customer base.
$200.

Just checked in in SAN for the connecting flight to LAX and they had no idea what was going on. The check in manager was oblivious - he said of course you get meals and drinks - it’s a 2 meal service on such a long flight. Clearly the news from LAX does not travel South - grrr. So do I eat dinner before I board or not - I have no idea!

No info in the SAN Admirals Club either.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Yesterday, I too received the letter / $100 voucher for a LAX to PHX flight that is catered for the return already in PHX. No meals were planned for this route (only snack basket). I was paid F, so assume that is why I received this voucher. It was a pleasant surprise and appreciated.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:45 pm

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
LAX MCO first class meal, and it really did arrived in a plastic grocery bag. Next I asked for gin and tonic to be told they had no tonic water on the plane. Finaly, to top it all off, no at seat power and a flat laptop battery!

Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by skylady
GRU, PVG and PEK are catered by Air Fayre, so not affected thus far.
Thanks for this tidbit. Is this recent? As I'm on LAX-PEK next week and still got the email on the issues.

Edit: Caught this: http://www.iii.co.uk/alliance-news/1...rican-airlines
From Last Year. So what were the 4 original flights Air Fayre was doing (as PEK is a new route starting this next week)
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by theYipster
Just flew AA LAX-HKG in First, departing 12:40AM on the 5th.

The food was standard domestic F... what you would expect between LAX-DFW. There were no menus and while there were three services, each service was one course (except for the first, which had a dessert.) After takeoff, the dinner was either chicken or tortellini (I chose the tortellini) which was the same as I’ve had many times flying to and from Texas. Accompanying the tortellini was a small salad (again, same as Domestic F) and a little side of salami and cheese slices (wouldn’t call it full charcuterie by any stretch.) There was also a piece of bread... Instead of the usual ice cream, desert was a slice of chocolate cake (which was pretty good... hadn’t seen that before on another AA flight.)

Breakfast was cereal or an omlette. Had the omlette. It was pretty awful.

Alcohol was domestic F catering, so I stuck to Woodford.
Simply wow. #GoingForGreat indeed. What a pathetic excuse for an airline... as if we needed any more. Unfortunately, we're locked into LAX-LHR in First on 11/21 and I have no confidence that anything will be fixed by then. But one thing is certain... we'll have dinner in QF Lounge before.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:41 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by lotus918
LAX MCO first class meal, and it really did arrived in a plastic grocery bag. Next I asked for gin and tonic to be told they had no tonic water on the plane. Finaly, to top it all off, no at seat power and a flat laptop battery!

OMG.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Just saw this:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.