Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Did they load amenity kits (hearing on transcon premium they are missing) - also other than the wine, nuts, water bottles, and other drinks still the same?
There were amenity kits. I never look inside, just save them to give to nieces and nephews, so I don't know whether they were the usual ones. There were also slippers and pajamas. And water bottles. No nuts, other than some packaged cashews like the ones you get on short-haul domestic flights. I didn't ask for a drink other than wine, or overhear anyone asking for one, but my guess is the liquor selection, like the wine and food, were more like on domestic flights. When I asked a flight attendant whether the food was from the domestic flight menu, he said he had heard the catering items for the flight were being flown in from Phoenix.
NickP 1K likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:43 pm

Of course 4,000 meals a day are just sitting on standby! If you are new to the program, AA has always gone with the cheapest plan
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:49 pm

Update to my post earlier:

In first we were given trays of a fruit cup(grapes, pineapple, melon, and strawberries), a cup of Chobani yogurt, and a Nature Valley granola bar. These were the same items available for pick up at the gate (though I think they also had bananas at the gate too). FAs were very apologetic and handled the situation well. Standard PDBs were offered as well. It was announced that economy would be receiving Biscoff and limited beverage service.

This evening I received two e-mails from American. One was an apology, and the second was an $100 voucher.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I did a flight from SFO-JFK yesterday in the main cabin.
Don't know if this was the norm but we were offered 3 choices that were a cheese plate of sorts, or meat/veggie wraps in a box with Milano biscuits, some sauce and a bag of chips / crisps.
Few drinks runs and a Biscoff bar offered later.
Pretzels handed out first.

Did see amenity kits and menus out when I walked through the first cabin.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying LAX-RDU in F on November 12. Just got this email:

On Wednesday, Nov. 1, we suspended using the services of one of our onboard caterers at Los Angeles International (LAX). With this change, the dining experience on your upcoming flight from LAX may be impacted.

We’re doing all we can to resolve this matter as quickly as possible to ensure your dining experience returns to our standard service levels. If your meal service is impacted, you will receive an electronic travel voucher for use on a future flight.

Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work through this transition.
As the meal I'm supposed to get is the same crappy options as I'm used to on shorter midcons I wouldn't mind a voucher combined with some BYOF
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by xenole
I did a flight from SFO-JFK yesterday in the main cabin.
Don't know if this was the norm but we were offered 3 choices that were a cheese plate of sorts, or meat/veggie wraps in a box with Milano biscuits, some sauce and a bag of chips / crisps.
Few drinks runs and a Biscoff bar offered later.
Pretzels handed out first.

Did see amenity kits and menus out when I walked through the first cabin.
You flew from SFO. This wasn't impacted at all. Only flights leaving LAX (or routes using LAX double catering for origins that don't have local catering)
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:27 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by CMK10
Flying LAX-RDU in F on November 12. Just got this email:

On Wednesday, Nov. 1, we suspended using the services of one of our onboard caterers at Los Angeles International (LAX). With this change, the dining experience on your upcoming flight from LAX may be impacted.

We’re doing all we can to resolve this matter as quickly as possible to ensure your dining experience returns to our standard service levels. If your meal service is impacted, you will receive an electronic travel voucher for use on a future flight.

Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work through this transition.

As the meal I'm supposed to get is the same crappy options as I'm used to on shorter midcons I wouldn't mind a voucher combined with some BYOF
Also received the same email this morning for a 16 Nov LAX-MIA flight. As stated earlier, meal previously-selected meal choices are now gone from my reservation on AA.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm on flight 83 to AKL from LAX on 11/6. Woke up this morning to the same email everyone has been receiving from AA.

Interestingly enough, the meal choices for this flight still appear on aa.com.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA lifetime Gold 1MM; AA-EXP; DL- DM; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Thumbs down AA193 LAX>HKG in F 11/07 Update

Got an email this morning and also checked online for previously ordered meals. My routing on 11/7 is RDU-LAX-HKG ; 11/10 HKG-LAX-RDU

The only missing meal is the LAX<>HKG one - no compensation has been offered yet and I'm not looking forward to a 14+hr flight with snacks and crappy wine. I know - the MADNESS ;-)

To me, it does seem overly excessive that they can't figure out logistics to cater at least long haul J/F in over a week.

I'll post here what we will get on the 7th
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:44 am

On a LAX-JFK business flight this morning and my wife and I both received a $200 voucher for a paid fare. I feel this is more than adequate and appreciate the gesture.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Herb687
So, yes, I stand by my claim that it would not be difficult to find a company in greater LA to cater 1200 meals on 24 hours notice.
Do you honestly believe companies have idle supply chains and staffing in place to meet this type of demand overnight, to the detailed specs and regulatory compliance required of airline meals?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by brodielayne
On a LAX-JFK business flight this morning and my wife and I both received a $200 voucher for a paid fare. I feel this is more than adequate and appreciate the gesture.
Report back on the service onboard please

I also got the email for a flight next Sunday - but meal choices (for now) still show and intact.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:10 am
RJ1

I suppose the one glimmer of hope in the email is this:

"If your meal service is impacted..."

Perhaps they can get this resolved within the next few days, as was suggested in the upthread quote from an internal communications to FA's.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
So unlike most here I haven't received an email regarding my LAX-NRT on the 10th. I still have no preorder options online, so I will report back if and when I get communication from AA.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Report back on the service onboard please

I also got the email for a flight next Sunday - but meal choices (for now) still show and intact.
Crew has been solid so far. Looks like all needed alcohol has been catered, and it is just a miss on the hot meals. I was offered breakfast, however I turned it down so I am not sure what they were serving. They did have some carts set up on the jet bridge with various snacks and drinks.

Frankly, I am glad this happened. I would trade a $200 voucher for an inflight meal any day on a transcon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.