Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summer Award Strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Summer Award Strategy?

I know it's early, but playing around I've seen some decent 57.5k mileage awards to Europe in the summer (biz). We are planning a trip to Northern Italy in early July. Quite a competitive time I know!

The family is 2 adults and 2 children. I see good availability for a party of 2. But not 4. Am I able to book my wife and son and then myself and other son at the same time using 2 accounts or is AA wise to that? Has anyone booked 2 tix and waited for availability to open up? Has this actually happened before? Any other tricks that may work? If it matters, looking to fly into MXP, VCE, or ZRH. Departing LAS so I have to connect. LAX, SAN, PHX, SFO, SEA are options too. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
If you are seeing availability at the saver level on AA metal then I would suggest booking ASAP. However, you are probably seeing availability on BA and you will find rather hefty surcharges (~$1K per r/t ticket) on those awards. Just FYI in case you weren't aware.

As far as trying to book 2 awards simultaneously from different accounts because you only see availability for two, it won't work. Once one award is booked the other won't book. You can book 2 of you and then wait for 2 more to open, but it's a crapshoot. Better to book 2 of you on one set of flights and the other 2 on a different set (hopefully on the same day) and then if availability opens up on either of the two, you can move the other two for free, as AA allows free date/time changes.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

How about booking 2 in economy and 2 in biz? Is it possible to upgrade with miles or switch them if availability opens up?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by BigMouthStrikesAgain
How about booking 2 in economy and 2 in biz? Is it possible to upgrade with miles or switch them if availability opens up?
Yes - technically it is a rebooking of the award but AA waives the change fee when going to a higher class of service.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Check out the resources linked in the wiki here:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.