Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award on hold - miles account switched help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Looking for guidance. Called AA, put on long hold, transferred, on hold again, and then hung up on after stating my question, so I thought I'd ask here to get the "right" answer before I call again.

Used spouse's account (Plat) to book 4 one-way award tickets for adult children to fly home from college. (2 segments saver, 2 anytime awards). Entered children's info and put tickets on hold. Now when I try to purchase the flights, AA wants to take the miles out of each respective child's account rather than spouse's account.

Can I not put an award for someone else on hold and still use spouse's miles?

Should I have not entered their FF info when I made the hold?

TIA!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
This should not be an issue. Do you have a single PNR? I would be surprised if it's trying to take miles from multiple accounts under a single PNR.

I've had the inverse happen where in order to use multiple accounts, they split the currently held reservation into multiple PNRs.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Are you logged in to the account you want the miles taken from? If not- log in to the account with the miles you want to use for the tickets. Pull up the reservation, while logged in, by inputting the PNR and the passenger name. Then try to purchase and that should draw the miles from the account that is logged in and not the passengers account.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by islandguy84
This should not be an issue. Do you have a single PNR? I would be surprised if it's trying to take miles from multiple accounts under a single PNR.

I've had the inverse happen where in order to use multiple accounts, they split the currently held reservation into multiple PNRs.
Because their plans might change and I had to mix savers and anytime awards, I reserved each child separately on 2 one-way reservations. Not sure if that was necessary, but I am new to the process.

Originally Posted by britz
Are you logged in to the account you want the miles taken from? If not- log in to the account with the miles you want to use for the tickets. Pull up the reservation, while logged in, by inputting the PNR and the passenger name. Then try to purchase and that should draw the miles from the account that is logged in and not the passengers account.
No - I will try that when I am back at computer.

Originally the tickets were showing under spouse's account and then disappeared and were available under each child's separate accounts. If I clicked on "purchase" it indicated points would come from child's balance. Did not know I could pull it up in spouse's account again so I appreciate the tips.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by go_hokies
Because their plans might change and I had to mix savers and anytime awards, I reserved each child separately on 2 one-way reservations. Not sure if that was necessary, but I am new to the process.

No - I will try that when I am back at computer.

Originally the tickets were showing under spouse's account and then disappeared and were available under each child's separate accounts. If I clicked on "purchase" it indicated points would come from child's balance. Did not know I could pull it up in spouse's account again so I appreciate the tips.
The reservations will "show up" in your kids' accounts if you put their AAdvantage numbers in the reservations. However, as mentioned above this does not mean the miles have to be pulled from their accounts. The miles will be pulled from whatever account you are logged in to at the time you pull up the reservation.

Make sure you fully log out of their accounts, close browser windows, etc. Then log in to the account you want the miles to come from. Search for the reservation using their name/PNR, and book it.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
This is actually a feature.

I can log onto my partner (non-elite) to find and hold awards for her. It defaults to her as passenger, with all her info auto-populated. Then I log into my account to purchase with my miles, avoiding the expedite fees.

Perhaps not completely intuitive, but I do recall seeing an on screen message at one point n the process, explicitly saying that the miles come from the logged in account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.