Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by xx/yy/20zz / end of year - master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help! I need ....... by a certain date / the end of the year / to (re)qualify.

See here for the 2019-2020 thread.

Earning status:

Link to AAdvantage status requirements page on AA.com

Link to AAdvantage status benefits page on AA.com

If you have not received a buy back offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

You must earn the requisite Elite Qualifying Miles or flown Elite Qualifying Segments in one calendar year as well as earning the requisite Elite Qualifying Dollar spend. That earns status for the remainder of the current and the following status years: earn during 2017, status persists through 31 Jan 2019. You must fly to earn; There’s no way to earn EQ instruments for yourself flying someone else or no-showing for a purchased flight.

See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Renewing status:

AA once used to offer "grace" if one was just short of achieving status, particularly if one was reachieving, by earning Elite Qualifying Miles or Segments; that hasn't been the case in recent years. Choices are:

1) Requalifying, but just missing the goal? AA has the buyback / renew / boost program, enabling you to purchase back status if you fall short of requalifying by stipulated levels.

2018 Buyback / Renew / Boost Program for Status year 2019[/URL][/B][/U].

NOTES:

• Flights flown as marketed by AA (AA codeshare) earn as if one is flying AA. (It doesn't matter where one purchased the ticketed - the word "marketed" doesn't mean where you purchased the ticket.) But watch those Basic Economy fares!

• Through flights with a single flight number such as MIA-PHX-SFO will count as a single segment and only earn miles as if flown MIA-SFO.

• One no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for AAdvantage status within the qualifying year. (AA marketed / AA codeshares do count for this. This requirement no longer is in effect, but there is a minimum dollar spend requirement -MQD - as well as EQM or EQS.)

• EQMs do not include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles, GiftMiles or the offer you get when buying a ticket or checking in.

• If you were involuntarily rerouted losing EQM / EQS, you might want to read FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (consolidated)

• Two AAdvantage credit cards award EQM for high annual spenders: Citi Executive card and the Barclaycard Aviator Silver offer EQM at certain spend points, and the latter offers EQD offset. See your current card benefits for the amounts. (These are merely for status purposes, not Million Miler, etc.) The Barclaycard Aviator cards also award EQD credit.

• AA has introduced new "Basic Fares"; be aware of many restrictions.

Guide to AAdvantage elite status (requirements and benefits) on aa.com

Some links to resources and tools:

Use tools available (Google Flights, ITA Matrix by Google, etc.) to find flights for "mileage runs" or "segment runs" to complete status requirements. There are threads (and aa.com pages) that explain how many EQM you earn on AA and partners' flights

Link to Google Flights (put in the origin only, add your restrictions such as airline or alliances)

Link to FT-AA Thread "Using Google Flights for American Airlines flight searches"

Link to Google ITA Matrix (flights and rules finder)

Link to Innosked oneworld interactive network map and timetable

Link to Great Circle Mapper (miles and distance calculations)

Link to FT Mileage Run Deals forum

Link to FT Premium Fare Deals forum

Link to FT Mileage Run Discussion forum[/B]

For the 2016 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2016 "HELP! I need xx EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" master thread

For the 2015 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

The transaction date is what AA counts for account activity purposes, not the posting date.

Be aware of the difference between the kinds of miles we are discussing.

Those concerned about earning of retaining status are seeking Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) to earn in the current calendar year. For that or EQ Segments, see 2016 "I'll be short EQM / EQS for status this year?" & related status earning qq

Others are looking for Award or Redeemable Miles (RDM) which can be spent on various awards and earned in various ways - flying, buying, gifting and even using. Your account redeemable (previously occasionally called "prize-eligible" by AA) miles will remain usable for a period of eighteen months after your last account activity - this can be earning miles in any way, flying or even via using your AA-linked credit card, purchasing miles or renting a car with an AA partner, or using miles by gifting them, donating to charity. To prevent your account from lapsing, you must have account activity in the period of 18 months.

AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit.
The full AAdvantage Terms and Conditions may be read here, including information on earning, spending and reinstatement possibilities for lapsed miles.

A very few of the more popular ways of earning miles, other than actually flying, include:
● using Barclays, CitiBank and American Express cards linked to AAdvantage; see the AA credit cards page here. There are several threads that can be found on this Forum using the Search function.

● in the USA, signing up for AAdvantage Dining here

● shopping via the AA shopping portal - read about and link to portal here (iTunes for a few miles)

● buying, gifting or sharing AA miles - read more here
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by xx/yy/20zz / end of year - master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Have you tried calling AA and explain your situation? They may be willing to give you the 13 miles,especially if they know that transfers are pending.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:32 pm

I bought some recently and they posted within the hour
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flguy
I bought some recently and they posted within the hour
This. Buy something for $13 through the AA shopping portal and it'll post quickly. Most of my purchase through the portal post within 24-48 hours.

Also if you are booking with miles you can put on hold for 5 days so put on hold and then if you buy something through the portal for $13 (or more), you should be all set since those miles should post within the 5 day hold period.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
This. Buy something for $13 through the AA shopping portal and it'll post quickly. Most of my purchase through the portal post within 24-48 hours.

Also if you are booking with miles you can put on hold for 5 days so put on hold and then if you buy something through the portal for $13 (or more), you should be all set since those miles should post within the 5 day hold period.
Maybe most of yours do, but many people's don't posts for weeks. Mine always take weeks. Now, maybe that's because I tend to only buy from very specialized retailers, but still, none of mine take less than a week.

So I would advise against ever using a shopping portal if you want to depend on it posting quickly.

Maybe it has to do with specific merchants, maybe the phase of the moon, who knows. But why should someone risk that their one purchase will not be like "most" of yours and instead like "the exception" of yours? Why recommend something (for a "guaranteed" timely need) that works "most" of the time, when "most" means not all???

And you didn't the thread closely. flguy was referring to buying miles posting that quickly, not buying through the AA shopping portal.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 25, 2015 at 6:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Maybe most of yours do, but many people's don't posts for weeks. Mine always take weeks. Now, maybe that's because I tend to only buy from very specialized retailers, but still, none of mine take less than a week.
I use the shopping portal often with both smaller and massive retailers and this has also been my experience every single time. I don't think I've ever seen miles post in under two weeks.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Rewards network is far more reliable than the shopping portal. Miles for dining usually post within days.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I agree with the dining option.
Register a credit card then go spend $13 (or less) at a qualifying restaurant.

The AAdvantage Dining Program
Earn up to 5 miles for every $1 you spend

Register up to 6 credit cards to the AAdvantage Dining Program and earn bonus miles each time you pay a bill. New members that sign up and dine will receive a new member bonus. Here's how:

Register your credit card and dine = 1 mile per $1

Register your credit card and subscribe to emails = 3 miles per $1

Dine 12 or more times and become a VIP member = 5 miles per $1

https://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:54 pm

Posted this in the same forum but didn't realize it would credit to AA as well if desired.

I have no clue how long it takes to see the miles but they are advertising 100 miles (edit: 70 miles if you credit AA) for each hotel review you submit (max of 10).

I tested it yesterday and have not seen the miles but it might be an option for you:

Hotel Review for 100 Miles

Edit: the website says 4 weeks to see the miles with AA - probably not a great option for you after all

Last edited by DrewGzy; Sep 3, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Would it be possible to transfer in some points from a hotel or credit card program? Just for the record, I do know of cases where AA has 'loaned' small amounts of miles for redemption purposes. I guess it would depend on the agent's discretion.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts. (And with AA, it's miles, not points - points are very different than miles on AA.)

Please read the wiki, now that this has been merged into the extant thread.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:07 pm

Converted USAirways Miles expired?

I logged into my AA account (converted from USAirways) and my mileage balance was a big fat zero. Looks like I had 52,000 and change until last month. Looked at my USAirways account history and it looks like my last activity was 1/25/2014, so that would put me at around the 18 month mark at the end of August. I am kicking myself at this point for not logging back in sooner but it slipped my mind.

I was under the impression that the conversion would reset the clock, but obviously it didn't. Any options that I have besides the $400 to get the miles back (which I probably won't spend?).
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mad cow disease
I logged into my AA account (converted from USAirways) and my mileage balance was a big fat zero. Looks like I had 52,000 and change until last month. Looked at my USAirways account history and it looks like my last activity was 1/25/2014, so that would put me at around the 18 month mark at the end of August. I am kicking myself at this point for not logging back in sooner but it slipped my mind.

I was under the impression that the conversion would reset the clock, but obviously it didn't. Any options that I have besides the $400 to get the miles back (which I probably won't spend?).
Are you planning on flying at all? 18 months no activity seems to show no AA/US flying on your part nor any other sort of non flying activity. I will say either call to plead your case, maybe a sympathetic agent might bend the rules, but I really doubt it. Aside from paying to reactivate it, AA used to have a re-engagement challenge, basically pay $30 or so, subscribe to their emails, and actually take a trip, it will reactivate the miles lost, not sure if it will work on converted USDM miles, but it is worth a try. This might be cheaper if you find the right flight, and will reset the clock for another 18 months. After that, set yourself a reminder for 16 months in order for you to create some activity in your account.

Good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mad cow disease

Why would you have been under that impression? It takes so little to generate any qualifying activity and protect your miles!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Ah, well, arollins has pretty much given you the best advice. The longer you take to make that call, the less chance you will have to get miles reinstated free. I'd call, hoping for a sympathetic agent and try HUCA if you don't reach one.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Fastest way for 300 AA miles at little cost?

Hi all,

I need to add just under 300 miles to my AA account in short order (like, within the next week, preferably less). I know that I can buy miles directly, or transfer from another AA account, at cost... hopefully those would post pretty quickly -- does anyone have experience that they can share? (The AA FAQ says miles should post "instantly," as soon as the transaction is confirmed, but it'd be nice to hear if that's actually the case...)

What about transferring from another service, like Hilton -- how long should I expect that to take, realistically? I know Hilton says the transfer can take up to 30 days (the "expedited processing" still take 10 biz days apparently, and the fee is about the same as it would cost to just transfer the miles from another AA account, so that's not really a worthwhile option). For those who've done Hilton transfers, any advice? (The one or two threads I found were a bit light on detail and most focused on transferring TO HH, not from it.)

I unfortunately no longer have an e-Rewards account, I guess that could be another option but I don't recall how long that takes...

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by cepheid; Oct 21, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Just transferred 30k miles (AA to AA via share miles) from my spouse's account. They hit my account before the receipt got to my email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.