Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA142 JFK-LHR day flight shutters closed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by SK
I was on the BCN-ORD yesterday, and they also blocked un-darkening of the windows, for 8 hours (of a 9.5 hour daylight flight!). Completely infuriating. I choose window seats in order to have a "functional" window experience. (By the way, on a 787 flight with BA, even when darkening the entire cabin, they let individuals take control of their own window).

Based on that, I will avoid AA 787s on daytime flights (which is a pity, because otherwise the plane is nice).
I heard a story from a passenger who was on BCN-ORD recently, and they also blocked un-darkening of the windows, for 8 hours (of a 9.5 hour daylight flight!). Completely relaxing. I choose window seats in order to have a solid, dark wall on which to rest my head. (By the way, on a 787 flight with BA, even when darkening the entire cabin, they let individuals take control of their own window, which is a pity, because otherwise BA is nice).

Based on that, I will fly AA 787s on daytime flights (which is really great, because the plane is nice and has a darkened cabin).
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:46 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Why are we skirting the real issue?

The plain fact is that no matter how the FA or a fellow passengers tells us to set the window, we want the _opposite_ setting.

The question is not "how to set a window". The real question is "what happens when people, who are beneath our lofty station in life, try to tell us what to do?".

(just kidding ... sort of)
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Don't like public transport?

Netjets.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flyertalk should have a Godwin's Law for private jets.
BearX220 and deeruck like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Permanent nobody on AA, UA, QF & NZ
Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
They can always tell the window passenger that he/she has no right to pass through their space (in the same way that the aisle and middle seat passengers apparently have no right to provide any input to the shade up/down decision), so the window passenger has to stay in the seat until the other passengers deem the window passenger worthy of intruding on their space. Any unauthorized intrusion will lead to the window passenger being restrained in his/her seat until landing. See how easy it gets when you decide that someone is the lone decider over everything that goes on in/at/around one's seat?
I'm ok with them not letting me out if they are ok with the inevitable stench by the end of a 13 hour transpac flight
Carfield and ijgordon like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by jrpaz
Please close the shades. I flew AA 39 LHR-MIA in J, and it was annoying I couldn't sleep/nap/rest. I had a work function that evening, and I was useless.
Sounds like flying private might be better for you next time.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Sometimes FT is like watching reruns of '90s Seinfeld episodes... I know I've seen all this before, I can see all the plot twists and punch lines coming a mile off, but it's still good for one more laugh.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:18 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Please keep the shades open when the flight is entirely during the day. Its day time. Those who choose to sleep/nap/rest during the day can use the eye shades if needed. Following the sun helps minimize jet leg.

I understand closing the shades on Eastbound overnight flights where the plane may not want to be awake at (literally) the first crack of dawn in the new timezone.
During the dark period, seeing the moon and stars* is really nice.
*If one lives in a city area, you never see the night sky as you do from 35,000 ft.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:25 am

Totally agree, and watching thunderstorms at night from altitude truly is fascinating. But I would hate to fall asleep, leave the window open and be the cause of bright sunlight waking up the whole flight super early.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
And don't forget the aurora on TATL night flights. Pilots see them all the time, passengers hardly ever. Just close the blinds afterwards.
SK likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by Dweeb007
I'm ok with them not letting me out if they are ok with the inevitable stench by the end of a 13 hour transpac flight
http://blog.caregiverpartnership.com...n-wearing.html
Dweeb007 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Problem is, sometimes the sunbeam that provides light to the window seat also creates massive amounts of sun for other passengers. My favorite is when it reflects off a magazine or a watch and keeps beaming me in the face.

Also, there is not an LED in the world that you can watch in massive amounts of daylight.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:09 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MADPhil
And don't forget the aurora on TATL night flights. Pilots see them all the time, passengers hardly ever. Just close the blinds afterwards.
On EB flts to (say) Switz. seeing the alps from the air is really nice--I like seeing them before arrival.
PS: On every EB flt about half the pax raise their shades in the last hour before arrival.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
On AA's 787's the FA's always darken and lock the windows based on my experience, even on the daytime flight from ORD to LHR. I politely ask them to release mine to passenger control and they do. Not too long ago on a flight from CDG to ORD, the purser released the control and some other FA would redarken my window and lock it seemingly every 1/2 hour - quite comical by the end of the flight.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by MikeFly
On AA's 787's the FA's always darken and lock the windows based on my experience, even on the daytime flight from ORD to LHR. I politely ask them to release mine to passenger control and they do. Not too long ago on a flight from CDG to ORD, the purser released the control and some other FA would redarken my window and lock it seemingly every 1/2 hour - quite comical by the end of the flight.

Yeah, same thing. The windows are huge and yet they make you beg for access to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.