FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA142 JFK-LHR day flight shutters closed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1863629-aa142-jfk-lhr-day-flight-shutters-closed.html)

salut0 Aug 27, 2017 10:50 pm

AA142 JFK-LHR day flight shutters closed

Just came off a day flight where the crew strongly encouraged everyone in Economy to keep the shutters closed all through the flight. As a result it was dark almost all the time which negated one of the benefits of flying during the day to better acclimatize to London time and start to deal with jet lag.

Is this a new practice? Were crew just wanting to discourage service requests? Could it have been as a response to a particularly bright day? Is it cabin specific -- I'm not sure if I saw correctly but it looked like business class did not have all the shutters closed.

I've taken this flight a lot and this has never happened before.

N1120A Aug 28, 2017 1:08 am

Seems fairly stupid, but there is often a lot of pressure to close the shades by airline crews.

shd9 Aug 28, 2017 1:27 am

I think the rationale is for people to rest a little? My experience is limited to transpacific flights, where usually soon after the takeoff meal service the cabin lights are dimmed and they encourage people to close the window shades. I guess they think if you want to work you can always switch on the reading lights, etc.

Yeah I agree it is not really necessary on a short daytime flight, but I don't think the crew are any ill-intentioned

ashill Aug 28, 2017 5:04 am

I've had crews with many different airlines ask that (including on a CDG-PHL AA flight recently, which is of course the "regular" daytime direction). The reason typically given is to help with watching movies. I see both sides of the argument; even one open window in the cabin can make the not-terribly-bright IFE screens hard to see, so I do sometimes get annoyed at people who have the window open. But then, I frequently want the window open myself.

nrr Aug 28, 2017 5:55 am

I always choose window seats. I find flying in a "sardine can" very confining, but if my shade is open the inside and outside "merge" making it seem roomier to me. On all my transatlantic flts from EUR to USA, FAs periodically (especially if I take a short nap) close my shade, which I immediately open. I doubt that my keeping my shade open would cause either a flt diversion or my being arrested for "disobeying" FA directive.:confused::rolleyes:

jrpaz Aug 28, 2017 5:55 am

Please close the shades. I flew AA 39 LHR-MIA in J, and it was annoying I couldn't sleep/nap/rest. I had a work function that evening, and I was useless.

MIAFlyer Aug 28, 2017 6:10 am

Please keep the shades open when the flight is entirely during the day. Its day time. Those who choose to sleep/nap/rest during the day can use the eye shades if needed. Following the sun helps minimize jet leg.

I understand closing the shades on Eastbound overnight flights where the plane may not want to be awake at (literally) the first crack of dawn in the new timezone.

UAPremierGuy Aug 28, 2017 6:35 am

Count me in the keep the shades CLOSED camp. Some of us work nightshift and use the flights to sleep. Eyeshades alone don't always work. And, as others mentioned, watching movies can be tough. I mean, there's nothing to see over the ocean anyway. I can understand flying over land though. Still, I support freedom of choice for those IN the window seat. I hate when I am in a window seat sleeping and my seat opponent opens MY window shade. It promptly goes back down. YMMV.

Often1 Aug 28, 2017 6:50 am

The crew aren't ordering, just asking and OP was free to keep the shade open if he wished.

The practice of asking has been around for a long-time and there is, as this short demonstrates, a divergence of opinion on what ought to happen.

cmd320 Aug 28, 2017 6:52 am

If it's a daytime flight and I'm in the window seat, I'm keeping the shades open. If the FA really wants to go on a power trip and "force" me to close them, I'll just say I get airsick without reference to the outside. Usually does the trick as they would rather just deal with the window being open than someone hurling for much of the flight.

Adelphos Aug 28, 2017 7:01 am

I open my shades on takeoff and landing to see views; otherwise, I'm on Team Shades Closed. Many people want to nap or watch movies on airplanes. Hard to do when it is very bright. If you want to work, just keep your light on.

CloudCoder Aug 28, 2017 7:17 am

I wonder if this topic has ever been discussed before? :D

Please explain how or why you get to control the window shade at someone else's seat. What gives you that right? Is it reciprocal? Do other people get to control various adjustments at YOUR seat? Or is it merely a one-way autocracy?

BearX220 Aug 28, 2017 7:19 am

I don't think any issue has been so fiercely and repetitively debated on FT in 20 years, except perhaps for whether children should be barred from first class or whether you have an inalienable right to recline your seat. And there's never a resolution.

Having said that, on a day eastbound TATL, the whole point of booking it instead of the usual redeye is to absorb some daylight, so darkening the cabin undermines the point.

AAExecPlatFlier Aug 28, 2017 7:55 am

It has. But shutters have never been discussed :-)

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 28745112)
I wonder if this topic has ever been discussed before? :D

Please explain how or why you get to control the window shade at someone else's seat. What gives you that right? Is it reciprocal? Do other people get to control various adjustments at YOUR seat? Or is it merely a one-way autocracy?

MADPhil Aug 28, 2017 8:10 am

The new wrinkle, though not mentioned so far, is remote control of the windows on the 787. I was on a 788 day flight from MAN to ORD last year and the crew used the central control to keep the windows dark. They refused to release them for individual control. I found it very claustrophobic on a day flight and also, as mentioned above, it messes with your body clock. It is possible to purchase eye shades that work and the modern IFE is bright enough to see in reasonable levels of day light. One drawback to the 788 though is that the shades cannot be adjusted to keep the direct sun off your neighbour while letting light in.