Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long is the actual 24 hour window for Award Cancelation (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but the search facility says "24" is a too short word to search for.

I undertand AA now allows a 24 hour award cancellation window like the other airlines.

On other airlines (i.e. United), 24 hours means until midnight the day following the booking. So it can be upto 48 hours (assuming you book at one past midnight).

Any experience with AA on their policy? Is it 24 hours to the minute or is it more generous?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See the wiki and posts here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-threads.html
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks, I did but it isn't mentioned there.

I'm referring to this announcement about a few months ago http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...-award-ticket/

Thanks again.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
AA is a strict 24 hours. Not sure where you got United being more flexible, but they too are a strict 24 hours. Delta is the one that offers until midnight the following day (be careful with time zones if you're booking near midnight; your ticketing date might actually be one day earlier than you think if you book before midnight Pacific).
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
AA is a strict 24 hours. Not sure where you got United being more flexible, but they too are a strict 24 hours. Delta is the one that offers until midnight the following day (be careful with time zones if you're booking near midnight; your ticketing date might actually be one day earlier than you think if you book before midnight Pacific).
Thanks. So its 24 hours from time of award being bought/executed? Or is it until midnight (in some time zone) on the day you bought/executed?

Your comment is a little unclear but thanks for the response!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by inpd
Thanks. So its 24 hours from time of award being bought/executed? Or is it until midnight (in some time zone) on the day you bought/executed?

Your comment is a little unclear but thanks for the response!
Not sure what isn't clear - Delta offers free cancellation until midnight the day after purchasing. AA and UA only allow cancellation for exactly 24 hours after ticket purchase.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by javabytes
Minor correction, but in my experience with many DL risk-free cancellations I believe DL uses Central Time for ticketing date determination (not Pacific). Nonetheless, still considerably more generous than AA and UA - especially for close-in bookings.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Minor correction, but in my experience with many DL risk-free cancellations I believe DL uses Central Time for ticketing date determination (not Pacific). Nonetheless, still considerably more generous than AA and UA - especially for close-in bookings.

-FlyerBeek
If you book online, the place of ticket issue is LAXWEB, and the ticketing date uses Pacific Time zone.

And yes, definitely more generous than UA. AA is really more generous if you can hold before purchasing, at least with respect to length of risk free period. It is nice that DL doesn't limit this policy to tickets purchased X days before departure..
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but the search facility says "24" is a too short word to search for.

I undertand AA now allows a 24 hour award cancellation window like the other airlines.

On other airlines (i.e. United), 24 hours means until midnight the day following the booking. So it can be upto 48 hours (assuming you book at one past midnight).

Any experience with AA on their policy? Is it 24 hours to the minute or is it more generous?

Thanks.
24 hours for changes after purchase
Before purchase, $$ tickets are held until 11:59 PM the next night, in the timezone of the departure city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.