Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Newbie question on BA credited to AA FFP (to merge help desk)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:16 am
Original Poster

If I take a Bus. AA flight but due to booking charge $$, call JAL to book. Then credit flight to AA FFP. Will I get the BUS. 2 X miles for status in AA FFP?? I have no status now.

https://goo.gl/flights/Fsae AA - MCO/PEK/NRT - Bus - $2,577 booked w/ JAL - Apr ‘18

Or this Premium Econ. flight to JNB booked with BA and credited to AA FFP.

https://goo.gl/flights/ZbxB BA - MCO/JNB - Premium Econ. $1,776 booked w/ BA Nov.’17
1.5X miles to AA FFP??

TIA
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by CJPacker
If I take a Bus. AA flight but due to booking charge $$, call JAL to book. Then credit flight to AA FFP. Will I get the BUS. 2 X miles for status in AA FFP?? I have no status now.

https://goo.gl/flights/Fsae AA - MCO/PEK/NRT - Bus - $2,577 booked w/ JAL - Apr ‘18
Based on the 2x, I assume you're talking about EQMs. Actual miles are revenue based for AA flights and formulaic for partners based on miles flown.
For the first, you'll get AA crediting for the first leg (2x EQM), then 1.5X for the JAL legs. Use the flight codes near the pricing to find this info:

Marketed as AA 1406, AA 263, JL 860, JL 7010, JL 7688
Airlines may charge an additional fee for booking by phone

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2017 at 9:29 am Reason: Close quote
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Who you book the ticket with doesn't matter, and neither does the operator of the flight - its the ownership of the flight number that counts.

If you book a BA or JAL flight number then you earn 1.5 EQMs (max) but distance based EQDs and RDMs.

If you book an AA flight number then you can earn more EQMs, but your EQDs and RDMs will be revenue-based. (Unless AA don't get the fare information from the ticketing airline, in which case you earn according to the Unavailable Fares table (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp) which gives you the best of all worlds.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Or this Premium Econ. flight to JNB booked with BA and credited to AA FFP.

https://goo.gl/flights/ZbxB BA - MCO/JNB - Premium Econ. $1,776 booked w/ BA Nov.’17
1.5X miles to AA FFP??

TIA
If you fly as an AA codeshare / AA marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying AA. You can earn up to 2.0 or 3.0 EQM per mile flown, depending on your fare class.

If you're flying as a BA marketed flight, even if operated by AA, BA or any other one world airline, you'll earn in accordance to that airline's miles earning chart on aa.com. That means 1.5 EQM per flown mile is the most you can earn, in any class of service.

That's regardless of where you purchased the ticket; that has no impact on miles earning.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help but still confused. So in the case of the the second flight mentioned above:

https://goo.gl/flights/ZbxB
One segment with AA and the rest with BA

BA - MCO/JNB, if you open it in GF it gives two options airlines to book with.
Book with British Airways
Marketed as BA 5130, BA 208, BA 55, BA 54, BA 2037 - US $1,776

Call American to book: +1‑800‑433‑7300 US$2,640
TTY number: +1‑800‑543‑1586
Marketed as AA 1354, AA 6161, AA 6445, BA 54, AA 6206

Both airlines list flight numbers.....
SO how do you really tell who ownes the flight or codeshare for calculating EQM's & EQD'd??? when crediting awards to AA FFP

Or I guess the real question is where do you locate the codeshare for any given flight.

TIA

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you fly as an AA codeshare / AA marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying AA. You can earn up to 2.0 or 3.0 EQM per mile flown, depending on your fare class.

If you're flying as a BA marketed flight, even if operated by AA, BA or any other one world airline, you'll earn in accordance to that airline's miles earning chart on aa.com. That means 1.5 EQM per flown mile is the most you can earn, in any class of service.

That's regardless of where you purchased the ticket; that has no impact on miles earning.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for all your help but still confused. So in the case of the the second flight mentioned above:

https://goo.gl/flights/ZbxB
One segment with AA and the rest with BA

BA - MCO/JNB, if you open it in GF it gives two options airlines to book with.
Book with British Airways
Marketed as BA 5130, BA 208, BA 55, BA 54, BA 2037 - US $1,776

Call American to book: +1‑800‑433‑7300 US$2,640
TTY number: +1‑800‑543‑1586
Marketed as AA 1354, AA 6161, AA 6445, BA 54, AA 6206

Both airlines list flight numbers.....
SO how do you really tell who ownes the flight or codeshare for calculating EQM's & EQD'd??? when crediting awards to AA FFP

Or I guess the real question is where do you locate the codeshare for any given flight.

TIA
Once more : the marketing airline defines your earnings.

It doesn't matter what they code share as, it matters which flight number you buy and fly.

First example: BA 5130, BA 208, BA 55, BA 54, BA 2037: max 1.5 EQM regardless of even paid F in First.

Second example: AA 1354, AA 6161, AA 6445, AA 6206 earn as AA; BA 54 earns as BA in the BA chart on aa.com. AA will earn from 1 to 2 or 3 EQM per mile flown for eligible fare classes.

Seriously, if that doesn't clarify it, please specify what part is opaque and we will try to assist.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
It took two of us to confuse you the first time - maybe it will take two to unconfuse you

Who sells it to you (who you call in your example here) is of no relevance, except in that they sell you the same flights with different flight numbers and those flight numbers are what matters - not who sells it, or who operates it, but who "markets it".

The airline who markets the flight (puts their id in front of the number) is all that matters when crediting to AAdvantage. If you buy it as AA467 you earn by AA tables and if you buy the exact same flight as BA234 you earn by American's BA-earning table.

In your example you'd be paying quite a lot more money to have AA flight numbers, but if EQMs is what you need then that might be best, but if RDMs or EQDs is what you need then the cheaper BA price will almost certainly earn you more (depending on the fare class details and the distances involved).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.