Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX / Los Angeles: Disembark Widebodies at Maintenance Hangar?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX / Los Angeles: Disembark Widebodies at Maintenance Hangar?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This has been reported previously, and is not unusual with the paucity of AA gates.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by PeterK
I was on AA 2225 last night (a 787 from ORD to LAX) and sweating a tight connection. I saw that the arrival gate was something I had seen before like 'M143', which I assumed meant we would be parking at the International terminal since at least the numbers made sense and I know AA does use that terminal for a few flights. I figured I was in for a sprint to make my (at that point) 30 min connection to the regional gates.

After landing, however I noticed we taxied past the international terminal and were out near the maintenance hangars. I figured 'OK, we're getting a bus gate.' But actually we parked on the apron in front of the maintenance hangar and a portable stair (ramp in this case) was brought up to the airplane and we deplaned into waiting buses. They were all waiting for us, so it doesn't seem like a last-minute IRROP thing.

Has anyone seen this before? Was is just scheduled inspection/maintenance and they didn't want to tow the plane from the gate? If anything, It was a fun bus ride around LAX.
Sure. It happened to me on AA 109 LHR-LAX last Sunday afternoon.

I was really happy to be transported directly to the Immigration hall, rather than having to walk "miles" from an arrival gate down numerous concourses.
aztimm likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:31 pm

AA 726 LAX Hangar Arrival Procedures for 332

I was on AA 726 on 5/17 which is the daily 332 service. As it seems to do most days, we parked at remote parking near the hangar instead of at the terminal (departures are from a gate though). While that in of itself isn't bad, apparently LAWA, operators of LAX, will only allow them to use 1 stair/ramp instead of 2. We also had to wait 10 minutes to have them open the door after the ramp was mated while the shuttle busses and the Five Star Service vehicles got out to us. Once they opened 2L, deplaning was quick, and the shuttles left for T4 once filled. Unfortunately, we had to wait at the top of the alley for approx. 7 minutes while we waited for 2 planes to push off of T4. The only good thing was that luggage came down pretty quickly by the time I got there, and I was in the 2nd shuttle.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with either this flight or remote parked arrivals?
Old May 20, 2018, 4:21 am

I’ve been on this flight several times and whenever on the 332/333 it has used the remote gate. Typically, the shuttles are already lined up by the time they dock the ramp, but it could definitely take a bit longer to unload and get to the terminal, especially if you’re near the back of the plane.

Most of the time other passengers aren’t too happy about this and are worried about making their connections. Cabin crew doesn’t always seem aware of this process or doesn’t tell passengers until the last minute so there is always confusion as to why we’re not at a terminal gate.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Can someone share the background on why they do this remote hangar arrival? Especially for such a large plane?
Old May 20, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Can someone share the background on why they do this remote hangar arrival? Especially for such a large plane?
They do this with widebodies at LAX when they don’t have an immediate flight out of LAX. Instead of taking up a gate, towing to the hangar, etc, they just taxi straight to the hangar after landing for the overnight.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Going for great!
Last time we waited in the rain .
Windy so we all got wet in spite of the awning.

Last edited by beachfan; May 20, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
Going for great!
LA(t)WA is a mess too.

Los Angeles (Third) World Airports
Old May 20, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
LA(t)WA is a mess too.

Los Angeles (Third) World Airports
Yep, AA is awful, but LAX is worse. I'm from here, and frankly the airport suits the city. LAX is a slap-dash, half-@ssed monument to NIMBY-ism.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
This has been reported previously, and is not unusual with the paucity of AA gates.
Just learned a new word.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Do the shuttles only go directly to just terminal 4 or are there also shuttles for the regional gates?
Old May 28, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm no fan of bus gates, but if deplaning widebodies by bus is "third world" in your accounting, you're going to really hate Europe.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Yes, someone can :
dciolli likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by PA Pilot
Do the shuttles only go directly to just terminal 4 or are there also shuttles for the regional gates?
Sometimes it happens to American Eagle flights landing at LAX early morning and no gates being available at the remote terminal. So, you get to:

1. Land and park at a remote "area".

2. Wait for the shuttle bus to arrive, and then be patient while everyone boards the bus with their carryon luggage. This can take a very long time.

3. Transfer by bus to the remote terminal, and then get in line again for the shuttle bus to either Terminal 4 or Terminal 5.

If you have a one-hour layover at LAX for your connecting flight, pray.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:51 am

Is there a way to check if you'll have a bus gate when booking with American?

I have lots of MIA->LAX travel planned and I'm considering making the switch from United to American as AA is the only airline with a direct flight. After seeing how long it takes to deplane from a bus gate with American, I'm thinking I might just take a connection with United.

I've flown United exclusively to LAX for some time and while they have their issues, there is nothing like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.