Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Status Progress and EQD / EQS / EQMileage "Runs" (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Progress and EQD / EQS / EQMileage "Runs" (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
No they aren't! There are many people who need EQMs. EQDs may not even come into play. Plus, MRs, for some, could take them over thresholds for extra SWUs.

Balnket statement(s) regarding just being EQDs are not right. Each individual situation can be/is different.
I am in this boat. I am already well over the EXP EQD threshold, but expect to end the year in the ~70K EQM range.

I am trying to decide if it's worth it to go for ppro or even shoot for EXP.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:08 am

I have a cheap Y fare on Qatar from an ATL-DOH-KUL return trip coming up that I booked in January this year that will put me just barely over the threshold for Platinum. I have barely flown AA in my life, and while I will do more of it next year, I do not even really fly domestically in the US a lot. And when I do, it is to/from ATL so AA doesn't help me as much.

Due to not flying AA that much, I see no reason to go out of my way for Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum. It is more for me about having Oneworld Sapphire and any extras like SWUs on AA are just gravy.

Last edited by jiaogulan; Aug 20, 2017 at 5:19 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 355F1
I have 2 same-day turn MRs PHX-LAX-LHR-JNB booked for Oct and Nov in PE on BA.

I do 1-2 of these per year on OW and Skyteam.

Per trip:

EQMs: 34,231
EQDs: $4,630

Total Spent per trip: $1500.
I must be looking in the wrong place...I've tried to find any long trip from PHX (not in coach) at a reasonable amount as I'll have enought EQD for EQP but not enough EQMs...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Smile

Yea I am already past PLT for the year. Aiming for EXP for this year. I have quite a few trips left; a few trans-cons as well as a Europe trip and looking at doing a trip to Shanghai or Hong Kong to get the extra miles I need. Have to keep track of my EQDs though, because not sure I will hit the threshold. Might be a little short. But quite a few first class tickets coming - so that should help!

I wonder what AA will do for bumping up status this year now that there are EQDs. Been wondering about this all year!!!!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by caburrito
Currently 851 EQD's short of EXP for the end of the year. Hoping to get some cheap Alaska first class fares.
AA has cheap F fares, e.g., DFW ORD FOR $240 one-way and you can even get a 777
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by caburrito
Currently 851 EQD's short of EXP for the end of the year. Hoping to get some cheap Alaska first class fares.
Depending where you are located you could get some good Alaska or AA fares up to SEA or DEN from LAX / SNA.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
I am in this boat. I am already well over the EXP EQD threshold, but expect to end the year in the ~70K EQM range.

ORD-NRT-SIN in Y can be had for around $800 RT, depending on the dates. That'll give around 20k EQM.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
No MR needed here....will easily requalify on my Labor Day vacation. Then I'm flying DL for the rest of the year.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Maybe find a good fare to Europe or Asia? Depending where you fly out of, that could easily be 15K round-trip. PLT Pro seems to have all the benefits, just no 4 upgrade certificates that EXP gets.... so might be worth it!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by mike.macrone
Yea I am already past PLT for the year. Aiming for EXP for this year. I have quite a few trips left; a few trans-cons as well as a Europe trip and looking at doing a trip to Shanghai or Hong Kong to get the extra miles I need. Have to keep track of my EQDs though, because not sure I will hit the threshold. Might be a little short. But quite a few first class tickets coming - so that should help!

I wonder what AA will do for bumping up status this year now that there are EQDs. Been wondering about this all year!!!!

IMHO-Our "friends" in Revenue Management will say ... but . But thanks for playing.
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by swingaling
ORD-NRT-SIN in Y can be had for around $800 RT, depending on the dates. That'll give around 20k EQM.
Yea, i am actually considering PHL - DFW - LAX same day return. I see several of those for ~$280. Added benefit that I can sleep in my own bed at night.

It's not quite as good a ratio as the SIN run, but it's also not terrible.

The big things for me with EXP would be SDC and Rewards redeposit, i don't think i get either of those with PPro......
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:16 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by davidsc111
I must be looking in the wrong place...I've tried to find any long trip from PHX (not in coach) at a reasonable amount as I'll have enought EQD for EQP but not enough EQMs...
LAX-LHR-JNB is always the best place for Runs.

Available almost any month of the year for around $1500 after AARP/BA Chase Visa discount.

Sometimes you can tack PHX on and sometimes you can't. No biggie, though, as its easy to get from PHX to LAX on cheap separate fare.

PHX-LHR-JNB is a couple hundred more but I love flying through LAX for the Qantas First Lounge.

Google flights is your friend.
talltoddtravels likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Yea, i am actually considering PHL - DFW - LAX same day return. I see several of those for ~$280. Added benefit that I can sleep in my own bed at night.

It's not quite as good a ratio as the SIN run, but it's also not terrible.

The big things for me with EXP would be SDC and Rewards redeposit, i don't think i get either of those with PPro......
That is a good run! I did that run a few times last year, as well as PHL - ORD - LAX. Was able to always get them for $200 round-trip. It is nice to then be home at night. Do a few of those and you'll be able to hit it!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I did my MR in March so I am all set to be EXP again. I had my entire year planned out and I knew I'd be a few thousand miles short so I flew PHL-LAS-PHL for 2176x2 miles and stayed in Vegas for 40 minutes.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by fedechat
What about 2x SAN-ORD-SAN same day turn around on a Sunday 9/3 and Saturday 9/16 for the $113 each?
Didn't think to look to do the MR over 2 trips. I was trying to get it over and done with as quickly as possible and possibly as comfortable as possible. Sept is a no-no for me anyway due to doctors orders, so I was looking at late Oct/early Nov. will take another look at perhaps doing multiple trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.