Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Ticket Refunds and Policies
As of 1 Apr 2016, 24 hour free cancellation, except bookings purchased within seven days of travel, is standard. Tickets purchased within seven days of travel are exempt from 24 hour cancellation policies, per USDOT.

NOTE: Hold can be used when offered. (As of 3 Nov 2016, AA randomly offers free 24 hour hold to those booking travel over seven days out, and some still report being offered up to 7 days hold for $15.99.)

Current refunds policy:

"You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. Link to AA Refunds FAQ."
Getting a reservation refunded is a two-step process. First cancel the reservation on aa.com or by calling Reservations, then second request the refund at http://prefunds.aa.com.

For bookings made online, AA may continue to sometimes offer hold for unspecified interim going forward, but 24 hours hold via telephone booking may no longer be granted by agents (though occasional ones might anyway).
update July 2016

AA follows USDOT requirements to the letter:● 24 hour cancellation with refund and no penalty, though

● No free 24-hour cancellations for purchases made within seven days of flying
(except on refundable fares)

● 24 hour hold will be offered for some random (at least to passengers) online bookings for some tickets for an undetermined interim period of time

● Extended hold for pay will still be offered online on many bookings (not within seven days)

● The five day holds for awards remains unaffected, but be aware all awards by non-elites also incur a $75 close in processing fee for 21 days or fewer from booking to flying.

● Awards that are cancelled incur a $150 redeposit fee (and $25 per other awards from the same account), except for Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members.
Fully refundable tickets that are cancelled: fare, fees and taxes will be returned to the original form of payment (FOP).

Nonrefundable tickets that are cancelled voluntarily: AA will generally issue a voucher for the fare, taxes and fees less the change fee described in the detailed fare rules. The voucher may be used for AA flights and other limited purposes. See Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.

Full refunds, even for nonrefundable tickets, may often be made for the full fare, fees and taxes:

"We do not refund nonrefundable American Airlines tickets except when the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours of purchase, when we make a schedule change that results in a change of 61 minutes or more, upon the death of a passenger or passenger's travelling companion or because of military orders. Supporting documentation is required."

Some equipment changes, such as purchasing international First and being changed to a flight without First class, or a domestic F or Business seat is eliminated by substituting a single class Economy cabin, may also allow a full refund.

Don't forget to look at other venues for tickets, such as OTAs, if purchasing within the 7 day window and you would like some hedging protection. Expedia offers 24 hour cancellation on AA itineraries within the 7 day window and many AA itineraries can be held via Expedia Trip Lock (which charges a small fee to hold a fare for 48 hours).

Print Wikipost

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Sneaky way to steal from the unwary. That really should be illegal.
I know that you are upset but we will have to agree to disagree on that.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781
Sorry but you aren't familiar with AA policy and this is not the best advice.

AA used to have a 24hr HOLD policy thus giving you the ability to determine within that time if you wanted to purchase the ticket or not.

Just recently (but most likely after the OP purchased his ticket) they switched to a 24hr REFUND policy.

Specifically your last statement is the most troubling as I highly doubt the OP bought a fully refundable ticket (in the US it is rare to buy a refundable ticket but not unheard of). Most likely what will actually happen is the OP will get a credit/refund less a service charge (probably $200).
I never claimed to be familiar with AA policy, and specifically said so. And as for my last statement, I'm sorry your found it the most troubling, but I did state that certain provisions had to be met. Finally, while I gave no advice whatsoever; you claim it's not the best advice.

So to me, it looks like you are attacking my post for some (unknown) reason, rather than taking it at face value and realizing the strategic caveats in there. What did I do to you?

rb211.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If you believe that post is "attacking", I suggest you be cautious posting around the interwebs. It was a series of factual corrections of false information/bad advice.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
If you believe that post is "attacking", I suggest you be cautious posting around the interwebs. It was a series of factual corrections of false information/bad advice.
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Seriously, where was any of the information I provided false? Where did I provide any bad advice?

rb211.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:51 pm

Time to Refund to Credit Card on Refundable Ticket

If you book fully flexible refundable ticket online (say about 30 days in advance) and cancel it online (say about 7 days before travel date), how long it takes to refund show up on your credit card.

With some other airlines or even third party sites, it is usually within 2-3 business days. AA claims that I need to wait 2 billing cycles. (thought it was just the usual legal fine print but reality might be shorter)

What is the usual realistic timeframe to expect refund to show up on credit card for fully flexible refundable ticket?
Old May 4, 2016, 9:57 pm

Considering your CC is from a major issuing bank, likely 2 - 4 business days after the ticket has been processed for a refund by AA.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:14 pm

Thank you for quick response.

Your underlined words made me research bit further.

So even for fully flexible refundable tickets, refunds to CC are not automatic but one has to actually go through a special web portal to request refund. is that policy still in force?
Old May 4, 2016, 10:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by desi
So even for fully flexible refundable tickets, refunds to CC are not automatic but one has to actually go through a special web portal to request refund. is that policy still in force?
Short answer: Yes. Cancelling the reservation and refunding the ticket are two separate tasks.

In my experience I see the money back on my credit card between 3 and 14 days after submitting the refund request to AA.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:55 pm

Thank you for quick response.

Your underlined words made me research bit further.

According to https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/ - what you found is probably right.

I have not requested a refund from AA recently but I remember they have an ancient process.

I'm sure someone else will chime in soon. [Edit: above]
Old May 5, 2016, 11:04 am

As others have said.

Cancel your reservation

Request a refund.

Just did this and it took almost 20 days to credit back to my Citi AA M/C
Old May 5, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
With some other airlines or even third party sites, it is usually within 2-3 business days. AA claims that I need to wait 2 billing cycles. (thought it was just the usual legal fine print but reality might be shorter)
The reality is shorter. Much shorter.

What is the usual realistic timeframe to expect refund to show up on credit card for fully flexible refundable ticket?
A couple of days after the refund is processed by AA.

I've never requested a refund online. I always just call Res. I don't think it's ever taken more than 2 or 3 days for the credit to be posted to my credit card.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sdix
As others have said.

Cancel your reservation

Request a refund.

Just did this and it took almost 20 days to credit back to my Citi AA M/C
My most recent was nearly 90 days. It just processed from a January cancellation and refund request.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All merchants are told by their card processor to advise consumers that it may take 2 billing cycles. That advice is 30 years old. But, it keeps many people off their card issuer's back.

If AA promptly processed your refund and you have a card issued by a major commercial bank, you should see the credit as pending within 2-3 business days and finalized within a day after that.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
refund - less than 7 day booking?

quick question: booking a "P" fare, 3 days before departure. what is the refund policy, if I need to cancel? thanks
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by AA Flyer
quick question: booking a "P" fare, 3 days before departure. what is the refund policy, if I need to cancel? thanks
No 24 hour refund within 7 days of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.